U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 04-07-2012, 09:58 PM
 
Location: Los Angeles, California
4,375 posts, read 2,649,416 times
Reputation: 1041

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
While in the Coast Guard, on the Cutter Hamilton, it was my job to question the orders that put my men in harms way, where safety was a big concern and if protocol was not followed, it could cost lives.
There's a proper way to handle everything - especially questioning orders. I think everyone forgot about that and was assuming people were bucking against the system set down to have the military work the way it does.

I understand there's certain orders that could be questionable on an individual basis - that's what asking supervisors in a PROFESSIONAL and PROPER manner is for.

You, Bentbow, understand this. I just wish the other people on this board - Modeer, CavScoutWife - who have little to no idea what it means to serve (or in CavScoutWife's case easy as pie term of service) would understand this. Oh well their ignorance is our bliss, as they say.

 
Old 04-07-2012, 10:02 PM
 
Location: vagabond
2,631 posts, read 4,835,130 times
Reputation: 1300
Quote:
Originally Posted by adiosToreador View Post
O RLY? Here you go:

You've never served so don't you dare make any attempts at labeling the life style of the military. You have no idea what those men and women go through on a daily basis so you can sit here and be an armchair general without having to fight the good fight yourself. Take advantage of your freedoms paid by their blood.
yes, "RLY." this is now the third time just in this thread alone that i have said that i did serve in the military, in the usmc infantry to be exact.

i bolded it for you since you seem to have been oblivious to it the first two times. you are really showing the rest of us how self-centered and incapable you are of thinking about things from the perspective of other people.

further, you are making the same stupid assumptions that casper was, blithely and arrogantly assuming that anyone that disagrees with you obviously has never served in the military. at least casper had the wits to bow out once he had realized the gaff he'd made.

so, if you want to have a pissing contest about who had the toughest, most challenging, most due-payingly difficult job in the military, be my guest, sailor. i don't know for sure, since i don't know what you claim to have done in the navy, but i'm pretty confident that i will come out on top there. in the end, though, it will be pointless, since all of us, even the civilians among us, rate their own opinions on the matter. and in fact, earlier i would have said that your opinion is no more ignorant than mine or anyone else's, except that you have now proven me wrong with your consistent assumptions and ridiculously juvenile attacks.

peace, crackerjack.
 
Old 04-07-2012, 10:09 PM
 
Location: vagabond
2,631 posts, read 4,835,130 times
Reputation: 1300
Quote:
Originally Posted by adiosToreador View Post
Seaman? Please. I was ranked Petty Officer before I got out. Nice assumption, by the way. Shows your true colors.
you, critiquing someone else's assumptions? that's ironic. how many assumptions from you will follow in this post, i wonder?

Quote:
You don't know what true military life is like.
case and point. you are making this way too easy.

Quote:
You had it easy and sheltered. What a waste of a career you had.
umm, i don't seem to recall her stating what her career was like for you. more assumptions, and more insults and attacks, based only off of the fact that she disagrees with you.

this kind of religiously fanatic devotion is generally known as brainwashing, and is sick no matter what the subject is. it is the reason that fat, greedy politicians that never served in the military decide to start wars. you really ought to chill out and realize that people are always going to have different opinions than you; all it is going to do if you keep getting all armchair-internet-commando every time someone disagrees is send you to an early grave with a coronary or something.
 
Old 04-07-2012, 10:11 PM
 
Location: Los Angeles, California
4,375 posts, read 2,649,416 times
Reputation: 1041
Nice lies, stycotl.

Do you always lie when confronted with the truth?

Enjoy my ignore list, cracker jack.
 
Old 04-07-2012, 10:15 PM
 
Location: vagabond
2,631 posts, read 4,835,130 times
Reputation: 1300
Quote:
Originally Posted by adiosToreador View Post
Nice lies, stycotl.

Do you always lie when confronted with the truth?

Enjoy my ignore list, cracker jack.
what am i lying about? the only thing i have done since posting on this thread is call out your logical fallacies, and then claim veteran status when you and casper ignorantly assume that i don't rate.

feel free to stick your tail between your legs and ignore the truth, dude; i'm not expecting you to be able to answer. but everyone else here can see what i'm talking about too. i'm not the one showing the rest of the world my incapacity to hold an intelligent conversation, and then running away with my finger on the "ignore reality" button when called on it (doubt they taught you that in the navy).
 
Old 04-07-2012, 10:36 PM
 
Location: vagabond
2,631 posts, read 4,835,130 times
Reputation: 1300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cav Scout wife View Post
Thanks!

And for those that DON'T know, that means my husband was a 19D in the Army, otherwise known as a Cavalry Scout.
i was pretty sure that i remembered you serving in the corps from the military forum, but i wasn't positive. either way, even if you weren't prior service, just being married to a serviceman is enough to spin you up on the culture and the mindset.

semper fi, chica!
 
Old 04-07-2012, 10:48 PM
 
1,482 posts, read 1,801,816 times
Reputation: 854
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
While in the Coast Guard, on the Cutter Hamilton, it was my job to question the orders that put my men in harms way, where safety was a big concern and if protocol was not followed, it could cost lives.
Question the orders that put infantry at risk, in that case one would never carry out patrols because of the risk factor.
 
Old 04-07-2012, 11:02 PM
 
Location: vagabond
2,631 posts, read 4,835,130 times
Reputation: 1300
Quote:
Originally Posted by nzrugby View Post
Question the orders that put infantry at risk, in that case one would never carry out patrols because of the risk factor.
it doesn't really have anything to do with the safety of the troops––generally speaking. it is more about, as i mentioned earlier, a compliance with laws based upon american civilization's understanding of ethics.

so, i couldn't refuse an order to go patrol a bomb-cluttered alleyway, just because i don't want to get blown up.

but i could refuse an order to push some civilian kid down that same alleyway.
 
Old 04-07-2012, 11:32 PM
 
Location: AZ
383 posts, read 515,736 times
Reputation: 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
I would say this, soon to be former, Marine isn't the brightest bulb in the packet.
Wrong. That person will be an ex Marine...former Marines are retirees and honorable discharges.
 
Old 04-07-2012, 11:43 PM
 
Location: On the Ohio River in Western, KY
3,388 posts, read 5,549,233 times
Reputation: 3332
Quote:
Originally Posted by adiosToreador View Post
No it's not. That's just your opinion, nothing more. You have no evidence/proof/statistics to back up your claim. Must be nice to have that security blanket called an opinion protecting you from being wrong.

Who am I to tell you anything? I'm a US Navy Veteran, that's who.

Seaman? Please. I was ranked Petty Officer before I got out. Nice assumption, by the way. Shows your true colors.

You don't know what true military life is like. You had it easy and sheltered. What a waste of a career you had.
Yes, it IS my opinion, and if you knew ANYTHING about indentured servitude, then you would see the similarities. It's obvious you can't/don't.

I am a United States Marine Corps veteran, and I am pissed that you dare to assume that I didn't serve, then become dismissive and bi*chy when you were proven otherwise.

Oh, so were at least an E4 at the most an E6, but you are all squids to me, sorry thems the breaks. No more of a bad assumption than yours that I wouldn't know anything about military life, despite my prior posting history acknowledging my prior service, in addition to my username.

Who the HELL are you to judge my military career son?!

You don't know a DAMN thing about my time in the Marines, so who are you to judge whether it was "easy and sheltered" and a "waste".

It is people like you that give the military a bad name.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top