U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2012, 04:58 PM

3,337 posts, read 2,566,327 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
yes, if my commanding officer told me to go stomp on a baby i'd have some reservations.

YOU'D HAVE SOME RESERVATIONS?

Wtf?

Old 04-06-2012, 05:03 PM

10,953 posts, read 8,668,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by modeerf View Post
you'd have some reservations?

wtf?
lol

Old 04-06-2012, 08:15 PM

4,375 posts, read 2,749,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
William Calley, or Ernest Medina ring any bells?
No. I don't know who they are, unfortunately. Can you let me know who they are and what they've done please?

I'm actually legit curious as I really have no idea who they happen to be.

Old 04-06-2012, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by modeerf View Post
YOU'D HAVE SOME RESERVATIONS?

Wtf?
Will you ever stop being a keyboard warrior and go serve in the military before trying to come up with blanket statements about it?

Thanks.

Old 04-06-2012, 08:28 PM

32,783 posts, read 13,851,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnysee View Post
God bless this Marine for giving-up so much for the right principle! Oh, he'll be fine in life. There are rewards for doing what is right. He made a loud statement, was in the news how many times all over this land, and kept focus on our subversive in office.
Funny how his principles only came to light in an election year, and as new icon of the tea party, where was he for the last several years.

Old 04-06-2012, 08:37 PM

21,416 posts, read 14,299,973 times
Has this putz been kicked to the curb yet? He'll soon find out how much his fellow conservatives want to "help" him when he is told to go find a job, and can't. He might get his 15 seconds (if they have not already passed) and then reality sets in. His three hots and a cot are about to expire

Old 04-06-2012, 08:39 PM

People who support this Marine support Terrorism. Congratulations you anti-Americans. Way to fight against the very country we live in.

Just get out.

Old 04-06-2012, 08:46 PM

10,953 posts, read 8,668,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromHereBornHere View Post
If all he said was the he would not follow "unlawful" orders then i don't see the problem? Whats wrong with saying you wont break the law?

DraggingCanoe? Is that you?

Old 04-06-2012, 09:08 PM

20,319 posts, read 9,839,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adiosToreador View Post
No. I don't know who they are, unfortunately. Can you let me know who they are and what they've done please?

I'm actually legit curious as I really have no idea who they happen to be.
william calley was the platoon leader, and only one convicted, of the my lai massacre in vietnam. 350-500 unarmed civilians were ordered killed.

medina was an army captain at my lai. he was acquitted even though calley claimed he was following medina's orders.

Old 04-06-2012, 09:46 PM

2,631 posts, read 4,930,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
WRONG. You can only refuse Illegal orders, such as commiting murder, the word unethical does not apply.
i'm sorry that my imprecise wording hurt your feelings. if you promise not to cry, i'll use the word lawful next time.

but yes, ethical does apply. it wouldn't hold in court, but the basis of lawful vs unlawful is very often couched in whether it is ethical or not. therefore, if it is an unlawful order, it is most likely an unethical order; this is what i was referring to.

Quote:
Even then you better be dare right about it, this case does not qualify.
never said it did. you are putting words in my mouth if you think i did.

Quote:
Anyone that has served knows the rules, funny how some seem to be experts on things they have no firsthand experience with.
who are you referring to here? me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
Yes, if my commanding officer told me to go stomp on a baby I'd have some reservations.

But this guy deciding that he will go against regulations regarding political activism despite warning not to, totally different ball game.
i am not claiming that he was in the right. i was just correcting what looked like a misunderstanding earlier, that the troops don't have the responsibility to refuse unethical orders.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adiosToreador View Post
That wouldn't be a lawful order and that hypothetical commanding officer would never have issued that order to begin with.
history disagrees with you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or