U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 04-06-2012, 02:35 PM
 
Location: North America
5,953 posts, read 4,782,994 times
Reputation: 1936

Advertisements

Poll: Even government workers say they are lazier | Washington Examiner

Quote:
We all have something that we finally agree on: government employees are lazier than those in the private sector. Even 46 percent of Uncle Sam’s workers agree, a plurality in a new poll.

According to Rasmussen Reports, just 8 percent of all Americans believe that government employees are the hardest workers, with 66 percent saying that private sector employees are the hardest workers.

No surprise there, but government workers agree. Rasmussen said in a Friday poll that 46 percent of government workers believe their private sector counterparts work harder than they do, while just 32 percent say the opposite.

 
Old 04-06-2012, 02:39 PM
 
Location: Fredericksburg, Va
5,224 posts, read 13,711,261 times
Reputation: 7467
Of course! Any worker who doesn't have to worry about being fired or laid-off has no incentive to do a good job. And we all know that it's nearly impossible to get rid of any government worker...no matter what they do! Their income isn't tied to the job they do....even if their department (company) is running at a loss and is totally ineffective, they still get their paycheck!
 
Old 04-06-2012, 02:42 PM
 
Location: Southcentral Kansas
44,884 posts, read 28,857,275 times
Reputation: 4269
Quote:
Originally Posted by clb10 View Post
Very interesting article. I especially liked these last words in it. One thing is for sure, according to the poll. Majorities of private and government workers believe that those working for Uncle Sam have better job security.
 
Old 04-06-2012, 02:46 PM
 
10,598 posts, read 12,441,800 times
Reputation: 6508
Just a question. How did you get "lazier" out of the whole article/poll.


The question was "Who works harder? Government workers or the private sector?"

The perception for a specific percentage believes that private sector employees work harder than government workers.

Not sure where the "lazy" came in? Did I miss part of the article?
 
Old 04-06-2012, 02:55 PM
 
1,724 posts, read 1,288,117 times
Reputation: 773
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
Just a question. How did you get "lazier" out of the whole article/poll.
Look at the source. It is the Washington Examiner.
 
Old 04-06-2012, 03:00 PM
 
10,598 posts, read 12,441,800 times
Reputation: 6508
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Common Anomaly View Post
Look at the source. It is the Washington Examiner.
I did and wouldn't read anything that piece of trash says. I went straight to the Rasmussen Poll link that was inbedded so I could get the REAL facts. I do that whenever possible because I don't like to be led around like a sheep by biased media. It cracks me up how many people just fall right into it.
 
Old 04-06-2012, 03:03 PM
 
23,837 posts, read 20,244,231 times
Reputation: 9386
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
I did and wouldn't read anything that piece of trash says. I went straight to the Rasmussen Poll link that was inbedded so I could get the REAL facts. I do that whenever possible because I don't like to be led around like a sheep by biased media. It cracks me up how many people just fall right into it.
The Washington Examiner is a "piece of trash?" Why do you say that? Yes, it has a conservative bent in it's editorials, but what would suggest to you that it is not reporting the news as is?
 
Old 04-06-2012, 03:03 PM
 
Location: Out West
23,686 posts, read 17,580,577 times
Reputation: 27703
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
Just a question. How did you get "lazier" out of the whole article/poll.


The question was "Who works harder? Government workers or the private sector?"

The perception for a specific percentage believes that private sector employees work harder than government workers.

Not sure where the "lazy" came in? Did I miss part of the article?
Didn't you know? In P&OC it's all or nothing.
 
Old 04-06-2012, 03:09 PM
 
23,837 posts, read 20,244,231 times
Reputation: 9386
My experience working with government aviation professionals has somewhat changed my mind about US Government employees. I've found that 99% of the time i'm dealing with consummate professionals who are subject matter experts to the utmost degree. They also seem to work far more hours than they are paid for.

With that being said, i'm sure that's not the case with every Agency. The recent snafu a the GSA comes to mind.
 
Old 04-06-2012, 03:19 PM
 
10,598 posts, read 12,441,800 times
Reputation: 6508
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
The Washington Examiner is a "piece of trash?" Why do you say that? Yes, it has a conservative bent in it's editorials, but what would suggest to you that it is not reporting the news as is?
AeroGuy,

Read the Rasmussen Poll. The fact that the Washington Examiner used the title that they did after you read the poll should tell you that this is a trash rag. Conservative bent? No way. That's was an outright distortion of the poll which does nothing but degrade government workers. The very ones you respect that you work with and myself included. I work my butt off everyday. Spent 20 years private sector and moved over to the federal workforce so I could be more involved in the way things were handled rather than sit on the sidelines as a "contractor" being told what to do. I take a lot of pride in my job, never miss a day of work, hardly get a lunch and work harder than I ever have.

If the Rasmussen Poll actually used the word "lazy" then fine, the Examiner would have reported the news correctly. They did not and, in fact, were unneccessarily inflammatory. I don't need this kind of news. Thank God I know how to think for myself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top