U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2012, 09:56 PM

48,257 posts, read 45,529,249 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Well said. If only the so called black leaders would say something similar.
I look at it this way. The leaders who were willing to die for their cause, their people, and to look to something beyond themselves, are dead now. Now I see a vacuum. When Bill Cosby said what he said, alot of people vilified him. Part of it was some people viewed him as an "uncle tom". Some people who were on his side and agreed with him were critical of him because he "aired out Black America's dirty laundry". In short, it was an embarrassment factor.

Old 04-15-2012, 10:02 PM

6,967 posts, read 5,424,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crabapplejoe View Post
Facts don't "promote" racism....they are simply facts...you do with those facts as you will.....
"Mostly these 'flash mobs' consist entirely of young blacks...mostly men. And mostly the targets are whites. But hell....that isn't racism...is it? "

The above is not a "fact." It is an opinion and it is, indeed, a racist notion.

Old 04-15-2012, 11:09 PM

210 posts, read 214,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I'm a bit of a nostalgic. Today I was listening to some songs by Jonathan Butler. I grew up with this music. My father played this music back when I was 2 or 3 years old. I'm listening to it today. This particular song "Take Good Care of Me" is one I've been fixated on, among a few:
Jonathan BUTLER--Take Good Care of Me 1986(the highest balad - YouTube

Why am I mentioning this song. As an African-American male in his 20's, I had to wonder about a few things. This song was made in 1986, the year I was born. I'm seeing a clean, civilized, young Black man in this video. No need to present himself as some "hard" man. He's not singing about "slinging dope", "killing people" or being a "pimp". He's singing about wanting to be loved and not wanting to be heart broken. It's a love ballad. If you look at parts of this video, some of it looks like it was filmed in a village in Spain. I see playful frolicking, two people riding a bicycle, and two people up an air balloon. I look at this video and wonder "what happened between 1986 and today"?

I'm Black, and I live in the South,and I can't stand Project Pat, or most rappers for that matter. I don't listen to that garbage, and I often wonder why so many young people today are listening to it. I was briefly introduced to Project Pat in high school. I thought I had to listen to it because, frankly, I was thought of as "acting White", not only because I studied and was considered "smart", but because I was basically nerdy. I thought I was suppose to listen to it because other Black kids did, and they were accepted. After a short time I got smart and dumped Project Pat, as well as rap music in general. Maybe it was because I grew up middle class, had a father with a master's degree who heavily emphasized education, and had plenty of books in the house, but I managed to not only not being completely affected by rap music, but I dumped it. My father hates that music too, and would never buy it for his kids. I think this is what is so disturbing about rap music. It is only showing one side of Black culture, a side I may add, do not want to be a part of. I see it alot. The "hard", "alpha male" and sometimes "thug wannabe" Black men who seemed to be admired by alot of women, at least superficially. As for romantic relationships, not so much, it depends on the caliber of woman. However, the rappers seem to be admired more than Black men like Tavis Smiley or Neil DeGrasse Tyson, at least in popular culture. I try to tell myself "they're young and crazy, they'll grow out of it". Sometimes I believe so. Other times I just don't think so.

As for people being afraid of Black youth, I have never heard of elderly Black people being afraid of Black youths. I have heard of people of other ethnicities being afraid of Black youths. I haven't heard of African-Americans over 50 being afraid. Maybe it's because I was never around it. Most people who have behaved like they were afraid of me were mainly White women and Indian women. It doesn't happen all the time, but when it has happened, it hasn't been Black people. Growing up, I always thought that my nerdy disposition would make be more of a target than someone to be feared.
For the record, I'm white, but I'm from a very depressing place and grew up very poor around almost only black people. For the first bold I was talking about race in my post, but more so about class. The hood is mostly black folks, and most kids in the hood don't have fathers, and the ones that do, there fathers don't have masters degrees, they have felonies, and there dads don't listen to Johnathon Butler, they listen to Project Pat.

Try and put yourself in there position, it was much easier for you being middle class and a little easier for me being white to escape that ghetto thug mentality. Imagine if that's all you know.

As for the 2nd bold part I have never had an older black men tell me this around younger black folks, but growing up in the hood lots of older black men would often come up to me and strike up conversations with me about how much they can't stand kids these days and how all they do is sell drugs and kill people, rarely would they say black kids, but given the context, we are in the ghetto and someone got murdered last night, it was obvious they were talking about black kids. IDK if they were trying to play me into saying something bad about black people or they just saw a whiteboy an felt it was safe to vent with me. In general I noticed growing up in the hood that older black folks (65+) that were strangers seemed more comfortable around me and seemed less afraid of me than most of my friends. Which seems ass backwards because they are the very group of people that were terrorized by white folks in the pre-civil rights era.

I applaud you however for not falling victim to the thug culture, which regardless of income level can be difficult for a black man due to peer pressure. I didn't realize that till I started hanging outside of the hood and it seemed like half the black kids I would run into from rich families were trying to (pathetically) imitate that lifestyle that they know nothing about, it's offensive when you see people not from the struggle trying to act like there from the struggle. There trying to be like kids from the hood, they don't even realize kids from the hood would chop off there left hand to trade places with them.

Last edited by Razorblade; 04-15-2012 at 11:20 PM..

Old 04-16-2012, 03:58 AM

1,333 posts, read 847,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by enemy country View Post
Wow couldnt even get past page 3. This sight is being over run with racist. And now they openly discribe wet dreams about shooting down black men. I need to really get this out to people.

If anyone here is a racist it is YOU. If the situation were reversed and it was white mobs beating down black men, women & kids, I would be standing right here next to you shouting for justice and an END to it. But not you....all you see is white racism. And even though you can't see it, that makes YOU the racist.

Old 04-16-2012, 04:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1945 View Post
You need to get your terms straight:
And, yes, your post does promote racism.
Racism? Where? Is it all of a sudden 'racism' to tell the truth? Racism to put the blame squarely where it belongs?

What is sickening to me is the double standard that some of you promote. We can't criticize a black president for his HORRIBLE policies because if we do...well...that's RACISM. And we can't complain about a bunch of black HOODLUMS joining together to inflict damage on whites because if we do....well...I guess that is 'RACISM' too.

Must be nice to have a built in excuse to hide behind for outrageous and criminal behavior. And obama has it even better....he can hide behind the 'RACISM' label to cover his complete and total incompetence.

Her is what I DO promote...RESPONSIBILITY. I don't give a DAMN what color you are...own up to what YOU and those you sympathize with do. Instead of labeling people as racists or bigots or haters or homophobes or islamophobes....take a look at what is being said and WHY it's being said, and start DEMANDING better from those you support and identify with.

Old 04-16-2012, 04:12 AM

Quote:
"Mostly these 'flash mobs' consist entirely of young blacks...mostly men. And mostly the targets are whites. But hell....that isn't racism...is it? "

Prove me wrong....prove that MOST of these FLASH MOBS who gather for the intent of doing damage or other ILL WILL are NOT blacks.

What I said IS a fact. You saying it isn't shows what your intent is.

Old 04-16-2012, 04:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Yup. The truth is you ARE a racist. No difference between whites ganging up on blacks and vice versa. Either is equally possible, but you exposed your beliefs in your first sentence very clearly.
You aren't too bright...but you are excused.

Never said there was a difference between whites gainging up on blacks and vice versa. I said this is a GROWING TREND. Those are the facts....if that makes me a racist, then I gladly accept the monniker.

Old 04-16-2012, 05:28 AM

1,922 posts, read 1,497,748 times
This is why you use a high capacity magazine in your carry weapon.

Old 04-16-2012, 05:58 AM

12,201 posts, read 10,427,566 times
Quote:

How can it be an opinion? It's either true, or it's not...which would either make it either fact or fiction.
It's actually true, if you go by both this story and similar occurrences which happened in Philly last year and Denver the year before.

Old 04-16-2012, 06:07 AM

6,868 posts, read 3,948,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backspace View Post
Just remember folks, triple tap if you've got the capacity but one to the chest usually does the job if placed correctly.
No problem, I am proficient in the use of a pistol and plenty of ammo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies