U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-13-2012, 09:32 AM
 
Location: The Land of Reason
13,300 posts, read 10,466,428 times
Reputation: 3541

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kkaos2 View Post
There is no such thing as white privilege

There are so-called privileged white people emptying garbage cans for a living. And other "privileged" white people rummaging through garbage cans for food because they don't make a living at all.

And the great mass of white people study in school, work at their jobs, raise their kids, pay their taxes, etc. They earn their way through life. They are not born into privilege.

Now I'm not saying they aren't less likely to be hassled by police. But that isn't being "born into privilege".

I beg to differ, just because you have not used it to your advantage or even noticed it, believe me it is there. try this have you and a black freind go to a ritzy store and watch how the store clerk follows him and not you. Have both of you hail a cab and see who gets picked up first. I can give you many more examples, but you seem intelligent enough to see my point
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-13-2012, 09:37 AM
 
Location: The Land of Reason
13,300 posts, read 10,466,428 times
Reputation: 3541
Quote:
Originally Posted by itshim View Post
It may sound bad, but he needed to sing another tune anyway. All this talk about racial injustice and stereotypes is one thing, but perhaps we need to start talking about the young black men who insist on living up to them.
That is true, this is why many parents have the "talk" with their kids. I have had the talk with both of my boys. One of them is in the Air Force and has been pulled over by nervous cops but because of what we had talked about everything ended up ok. The other one is not driving yet but he is fully aware of how to behave when dealing with the police or anyone in an authoritative position. If you really think about it many of those kids who want to be "tough" especially around the their freinds and unfortunately towards the police never had or ignored the talk with a responsible parent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-13-2012, 09:40 AM
 
Location: South Carolina
8,151 posts, read 5,596,248 times
Reputation: 1752
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kkaos2 View Post
You have two choices - either end affirmative action, or quit complaining about it. I know that sounds rude, but it's the truth. It's irrational to hold that it is racist to not provide affirmative action for blacks, and then racist to think that blacks need affirmative action. That's the very definition of cognitive dissonance. You can't simultaneously have special privileges for blacks and not have people assume you got special privileges for being black. Human nature doesn't work that way.



Well, there is a black accent. It's fact. People don't expect blacks to speak a certain way because they're racist, they expect blacks to speak a certain way because blacks actually speak a certain way. Recognizing reality isn't racist.



People will make assumptions about you because you're a man or a woman or tall or short or thin or fat or religious or atheist or liberal or conservative or rich or poor. That's not ever going to change. And yes theoretically it is racist but you need to apply some common sense and consider whether malicious intent was involved. Making decisions based on available evidence is how humans think. The human brain is hardwired to make associations. If the person isn't trying to discriminate against you, then just don't worry about it. Life's too short.
Yeah I know racism doesnt exist. Just deny deny deny. What in the world would you consider racist.
Hitler wasnt racist he just wanted the Jews to move I guess. The KkK isnt racist they just want a better life for whites.......yada yada
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-13-2012, 09:43 AM
 
Location: The Land of Reason
13,300 posts, read 10,466,428 times
Reputation: 3541
Quote:
Originally Posted by cledussnow View Post
Stereotyping "White republicans" doesn't help anything.

I was sad when Obama won, but after hearing his inauguration speech I was filled with hope. How he has let us down. Hope and change quickly turned to politics as usual.

Many poor policies and decisions have put us in a weakened position. I know many who were Obama supporters who are also disgruntled at his actual agenda once elected.
I'm not going to refute your point, but I will add that the lies put forth by faux and the republican party in 08' regarding the president taking away their guns have sparked guns sales to an all-time high. Sadly they are doing it again with fear mongering and false threats. I guess sterotyping white republicans as the only problem is proably wrong, but the source and the force (NRA) does put them as the majority since there are some black/latinos republicans as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-13-2012, 09:43 AM
 
Location: South Carolina
8,151 posts, read 5,596,248 times
Reputation: 1752
Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
I beg to differ, just because you have not used it to your advantage or even noticed it, believe me it is there. try this have you and a black freind go to a ritzy store and watch how the store clerk follows him and not you. Have both of you hail a cab and see who gets picked up first. I can give you many more examples, but you seem intelligent enough to see my point
Denying it allows it to continue. Its exactly how the mob works. Same practice. And the biggest deniers are always the ones benefiting most
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-13-2012, 10:09 AM
 
Location: The Land of Reason
13,300 posts, read 10,466,428 times
Reputation: 3541
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jermaine88 View Post
I never had a talk warning about cops and whites.

I had the talk about self responsibility and decency.

Basically they told me if I :
Don't Look Ghetto (Thuggish)
Don't Act Ghetto (or Thuggish)
Don't Speak Ghetto(or Thuggish)
Don't Dress Ghetto(or Thuggish)
Don't Associate Myself with anyone who does so.

I would not have any issues with anyone, and I would be successful.

That advice worked.

Pretty common sense advice that apparently many don't get.

Guess what, what you just said is considered to be part of the talk! Don't kid yourself into a false sense of security either, because you can follow all of the above rules and still be a victim of racist police officers or other fearful people. Don't let anyone lull you into believing that it is just your clothes or the way that speak, and besides being "thuggish" is mainly a perception that is received from different experiences from different people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-13-2012, 10:13 AM
 
Location: The Land of Reason
13,300 posts, read 10,466,428 times
Reputation: 3541
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Not ignorant but I'm also not infused with the culture of the plantation hence no talk.
Don't you meean "No Clue"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-13-2012, 10:14 AM
 
Location: The Land of Reason
13,300 posts, read 10,466,428 times
Reputation: 3541
Quote:
Originally Posted by enemy country View Post
Denying it allows it to continue. Its exactly how the mob works. Same practice. And the biggest deniers are always the ones benefiting most

???? Denying that racism exist and how to conduct oneself in certain situations?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-13-2012, 10:21 AM
 
Location: South Carolina
8,151 posts, read 5,596,248 times
Reputation: 1752
Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
???? Denying that racism exist and how to conduct oneself in certain situations?
Racism
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-13-2012, 10:39 AM
 
Location: The Land of Reason
13,300 posts, read 10,466,428 times
Reputation: 3541
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kkaos2 View Post
You have two choices - either end affirmative action, or quit complaining about it. I know that sounds rude, but it's the truth. It's irrational to hold that it is racist to not provide affirmative action for blacks, and then racist to think that blacks need affirmative action. That's the very definition of cognitive dissonance. You can't simultaneously have special privileges for blacks and not have people assume you got special privileges for being black. Human nature doesn't work that way.

This is strictly right wing BS! AA does not force companies to hire less qualified blacks. Think about this, if the company had been fair in their hiring practices in the first place they would not be trying to play catch up. Has it ever occured to you that companies have been hiring unqualified whites BEFORE AA was enforced? Btw, It is not a "special priviledge" it is a way of evening the playing field. I will concede to one aspect of AA, and that it is not needed everywhere considering white women have benefited more from it than blacks in general.



Well, there is a black accent. It's fact. People don't expect blacks to speak a certain way because they're racist, they expect blacks to speak a certain way because blacks actually speak a certain way. Recognizing reality isn't racist.

Oh really? So you are telling me that a black from the deep south sounds the same as one from Boston? How about one from California and one from Washington D.C? No, saying that we all sound alike is not racist just stupid as saying that the president "speaks very well"....Duh! Education and exposure plays an important role on how anyone converses with other people. The more education and conversations with other educated people the more that your vocabulary and pronunciation changes as well.



People will make assumptions about you because you're a man or a woman or tall or short or thin or fat or religious or atheist or liberal or conservative or rich or poor. That's not ever going to change. And yes theoretically it is racist but you need to apply some common sense and consider whether malicious intent was involved. Making decisions based on available evidence is how humans think. The human brain is hardwired to make associations. If the person isn't trying to discriminate against you, then just don't worry about it. Life's too short.

That is true, but the less exposed a person is to other cultures and different lifestyles the more open minded they become. Adversely if you have never been around anyone but what you are accustomed to, you will gain very little as far as cultural growth
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:29 AM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top