U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2012, 04:33 PM

18,624 posts, read 16,453,654 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
Don't know about any outrage regarding this article. It is always interesting to me that so many posts here on CD refer to black people being outraged about things that I am usually not outraged about. It is laughable actually.

But I have spoken words of wisdom to my son about topics that you probably this is "the talk." They have to do with the fact that he will eventually be seen by society as a thug and to not let that get to him. Also that he will be stopped and harrassed by police for no reason and that he should be respectful to them, not aggressive, and speak in a non-threatening tone of voice and just basically be very calm, cool, and collected with police. Also if he is arrested while a child or teenager that he is to not answer any of their questions and tell them that he wants them to call his parents and he wants a lawyer and that is it. If they hit him, not to fight back and just take it and think about how we will sue them later if that occurs, but don't tell them that. There are more things I tell him, mostly about how to not do certain things that would cause people to try to paint him as a horrible person, like not playing with his pocket knife outside of our home/yard since someone may think he wants to stab someone. I told him not to draw pictures of people fighting with any injuries at school because someone may use that to try to prove he is violent, and basically just warn him, so it is not a surprise when it occurs, that society will not view him a the gentle, smart, funny, silly, kind person that he is. They will see him as a thug and he should see those who do think he is a thug as idiots and not let their idiocy get to him or make him question whether he is really what idiots think he is.
Outrage coming up:

National Review Tries To Distance Itself From Derbyshire, But Silent On Calls For Firing Him | ThinkProgress

Racist John Derbyshire Writes Most Racist Article Possible, Pegged to Trayvon Martin Case
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2012, 05:13 PM

767 posts, read 2,005,276 times
Quote:
harrassed by police for no reason and that he should be respectful to them, not aggressive, and speak in a non-threatening tone of voice and just basically be very calm, cool, and collected with police. .
I am white, 74 yrs old and my Dad said about the same thing to me as I grew up. He always said to say yes sir and no sir and do what they said. So I guess I must have had "the talk"

Old 04-07-2012, 05:23 PM

8,287 posts, read 7,534,826 times
Right before I got my driver's license, I got a talk from my parents about never pulling over at night for what appeared to be a police car unless I was on a busy road or could pull into parking lot where a store was open, something like that. If I was on a country road in the middle of nowhere late at night, I was to keep driving until I found someplace safe to stop. I only had one occasion where there was an issue, and I did just that. I probably drove for 5 mins after the lights went off behind me and when I told the police offer why I didn't pull over right away, he was fine with it, although I could tell that he was initially perturbed.

If I had I had a daughter I would tell her the same thing, though perhaps there is less concern nowadays because of cell phones.

Last edited by helenejen; 04-07-2012 at 05:37 PM..

Old 04-07-2012, 05:47 PM

28,227 posts, read 47,661,386 times
Post News, White Columnist: Be Smart, Avoid Black People.

Conservative columnist John Derbyshire has unleashed a fury of criticism from both the left and right over advice he dispenses in Taki's Magazine to white and Asian parents. It's a list of things they should tell their kids to keep them safe from black people, or what he calls the "non-black version" of "the talk."

White Columnist: Be Smart, Avoid Black People - John Derbyshire's column triggers Internet outrage

Old 04-07-2012, 05:59 PM

4,380 posts, read 2,936,344 times
You can be P.C., or you can live.

Old 04-07-2012, 07:02 PM

18,794 posts, read 14,295,610 times
I can't really disagree with the criticism from people like Goldberg, yet this kind of thinking is inevitable given the proliferation of false accusations of racism. Wev'e got people like Spencer Ackerman ('call them racists') and Mary Frances Berry saying that tea partiers should be called racist not because it's true but because it's politically advantageous. Isn't it reasonable and predictable that some people are going to throw up their hands and decide to retreat into a white-only world? Some may be predisposed to racism, some may just be predisposed to practicality. Thanks to the Ackermans and Berrys it's impossible to know which is which.

Old 04-07-2012, 09:10 PM

44,924 posts, read 28,263,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Evidently there is some kind of "talk" Black parents make to their kids warning them of cops and whites. I've never received such a talk. Anyway this "talk" came to the fore during the Trayvon Martin. To me it seemed somewhat foolish having a talk to warn your kids about a statistical rarity. So I asked on one of the many Trayvon threads what kind of talks to nonblacks have with their kids? Do they warn them about Blacks?

Well looks like an author wrote an article detailing the "talk" for nonblacks and predictably chaos ensues. Also I'm not familiar with takimag if it's some white power site, I apologize I was linked to it from Forbes.

I think the guy usually writes for the National Review and after the predictable liberal outcry was fired.

Anyway here's the link to the article.

http://takimag.com/article/the_talk_...#ixzz1rNWZ79rf
I won't waste any more of my time even looking at National Review, let alone reading it after this one. They showed nothing but fear of being called racist for letting that thing be printed. I got it from a right wing blog but enough is enough, for me.

Old 04-07-2012, 10:45 PM

23,851 posts, read 19,877,635 times
Quote:
Don't know about any outrage regarding this article. It is always interesting to me that so many posts here on CD refer to black people being outraged about things that I am usually not outraged about. It is laughable actually.

But I have spoken words of wisdom to my son about topics that you probably this is "the talk." They have to do with the fact that he will eventually be seen by society as a thug and to not let that get to him. Also that he will be stopped and harrassed by police for no reason and that he should be respectful to them, not aggressive, and speak in a non-threatening tone of voice and just basically be very calm, cool, and collected with police. Also if he is arrested while a child or teenager that he is to not answer any of their questions and tell them that he wants them to call his parents and he wants a lawyer and that is it. If they hit him, not to fight back and just take it and think about how we will sue them later if that occurs, but don't tell them that. There are more things I tell him, mostly about how to not do certain things that would cause people to try to paint him as a horrible person, like not playing with his pocket knife outside of our home/yard since someone may think he wants to stab someone. I told him not to draw pictures of people fighting with any injuries at school because someone may use that to try to prove he is violent, and basically just warn him, so it is not a surprise when it occurs, that society will not view him a the gentle, smart, funny, silly, kind person that he is. They will see him as a thug and he should see those who do think he is a thug as idiots and not let their idiocy get to him or make him question whether he is really what idiots think he is.
Wow. Just wow. Is there any proof whatsoever that the majority of black people suffer under the terms in which you warn your child? This isn't 1967....this is 2012. You seem to take the term "helicopter parent" to a whole new level of paranoia. I kind of feel sorry for black kids if this is the type of discussions their parents are having with them. NO wonder they enter the world feeling like victims. Their own parents have made them into victims before they could even be victimized! Very sad indeed.

Old 04-07-2012, 10:49 PM

23,851 posts, read 19,877,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mccarley View Post
I am white, 74 yrs old and my Dad said about the same thing to me as I grew up. He always said to say yes sir and no sir and do what they said. So I guess I must have had "the talk"
You're 74 years old. That would explain why. I don't belive it's necessary in 2012.

Old 04-08-2012, 03:30 AM

6,868 posts, read 3,952,578 times
Quote:

So, you basically warned your kids about white people, nothing wrong with that, doesn't hurt to give them a heads up and while your at it, warn them they will only be viewed as to how they behave. Act like a duck, walk like a duck, you are probably a duck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies