Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2012, 03:12 PM

419 posts, read 365,237 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldawg82 View Post
I know the "Talk" I'm sick of. It's all this black vs white vs hispanic (pick your color of skin in that spectrum) . . . We need an alien invasion (by a very weak & wussified little race of aliens) to unify us so we can see that we have a lot more in common than not. We, as a race (there is ONLY one race) should be farther along than this. Stupidity holds us all back.
That reminds me of The Watchmen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2012, 08:55 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,223,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
This is pure, unadulterated paranoia. Why don't you tell him that he'll be a victim of a serial killer? Or maybe struck by lightning? We can expect that to happen eventually, right? Of course not. You have definitely taken the whole "helicopter parent" thing to a whole new level. Poor kid. He'll now walk in fear of the police and probably even white people for the rest of his life. All because mom unnecessarily scared the bejeezus out of him when he was child.
Well, you certainly are free to bury your head in the sand and think that black people/youth, especially boys, are treated equally in this country.

Old 04-10-2012, 09:00 AM

6,454 posts, read 7,009,085 times
Well in all honesty, my parents had "the talk" with me about other young black men. I remember it distinctly when I was 13 and they explained to me that I was at an age where certain types of young black men would consider me a target or rival of some sort. This is at a time when the crack era was beginning to level off.

In regards to the police, my parents pretty much installed in me a respect for them that pretty much went in alignment with my respect for authority figures in general (i.e. teachers, older neighbors, other adults etc). The police were just naturally a part of that crowd.

Old 04-10-2012, 09:06 AM

5,347 posts, read 10,157,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Evidently there is some kind of "talk" Black parents make to their kids warning them of cops and whites. I've never received such a talk. Anyway this "talk" came to the fore during the Trayvon Martin. To me it seemed somewhat foolish having a talk to warn your kids about a statistical rarity. So I asked on one of the many Trayvon threads what kind of talks to nonblacks have with their kids? Do they warn them about Blacks?

Well looks like an author wrote an article detailing the "talk" for nonblacks and predictably chaos ensues. Also I'm not familiar with takimag if it's some white power site, I apologize I was linked to it from Forbes.

I think the guy usually writes for the National Review and after the predictable liberal outcry was fired.

Anyway here's the link to the article.

The Talk: Nonblack Version - Taki's Magazine
Why do you hate black people so much? Just curious from all of your posts.

Old 04-10-2012, 09:21 AM

13,221 posts, read 12,318,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Evidently there is some kind of "talk" Black parents make to their kids warning them of cops and whites. I've never received such a talk. Anyway this "talk" came to the fore during the Trayvon Martin. To me it seemed somewhat foolish having a talk to warn your kids about a statistical rarity. So I asked on one of the many Trayvon threads what kind of talks to nonblacks have with their kids? Do they warn them about Blacks?

Well looks like an author wrote an article detailing the "talk" for nonblacks and predictably chaos ensues. Also I'm not familiar with takimag if it's some white power site, I apologize I was linked to it from Forbes.

I think the guy usually writes for the National Review and after the predictable liberal outcry was fired.

Anyway here's the link to the article.

The Talk: Nonblack Version - Taki's Magazine

Of course you would have no clue about "the talk" because you are totally ignorant of America's history towards blacks. FYI, the "talk" has been discussed with our children way before Trayvon was even born. The crap that this clown was spewing was basically hate and separatist speech.

Old 04-10-2012, 09:24 AM

1,142 posts, read 2,132,171 times
Where does this dribble come from. Your right my parents did have a talk with me about the birds and the bees which in the event your much younger than I means the "sex" talk.
However I can see why a black parent would have a talk of some kind in addition to the "sex" talk with their child as from what I see black peoples intentions are for the most part seriously misjudged. I think it would be wonderful if we 'judge people by the content of their heart" as was said by MLK but I don't believe I will see that in my lifetime.

Old 04-10-2012, 09:25 AM

4,112 posts, read 4,473,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
Why do you hate black people so much? Just curious from all of your posts.
We you see. This guy is a natural born African American aka a Black person. His parents were born in Ghana so he thinks that makes him separate from the other 40 some million black folks in this country. After this fact was pointed out him, he moves the goal posts and says that his ancestors were not slaves so he has nothing to do with black culture in America. Considering the fact that he likes to lump us into one monolithic group that actually consists of vast numbers of individuals that do not share anything culturally except for the fact that they are "black", he somehow exonerates himself from this group even though by his methodology of grouping black people together would also include himself. In his mind, somehow I am responsible for a black gangbanger in Los Angeles somewhere just because I am black. And yet he isn't. That's like saying AeroguyDC is responsible for all the meth addicts in Kentucky somewhere.

Having said, The only talk my parents had with me was the fact that I would have to try twice as hard as anyone else to get the same amount of respect. So far it has worked out pretty well for me.

Old 04-10-2012, 09:32 AM

2,440 posts, read 3,430,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dood912 View Post
yep, all black kids are taught from an early age to hate whitey and the pigs

you got it, OP.
That's racist. But then, so might my assertation be that actually, it would be racist white folks who maintain by their behavior and comments on sites like this, that black people are dangerous and inferior in several aspects. This is probably what encourages black folks to be apprehensive about associating with white folks, rather than disliking anyone soley because they are not black.

Old 04-10-2012, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
Don't know about any outrage regarding this article. It is always interesting to me that so many posts here on CD refer to black people being outraged about things that I am usually not outraged about. It is laughable actually.

But I have spoken words of wisdom to my son about topics that you probably this is "the talk." They have to do with the fact that he will eventually be seen by society as a thug and to not let that get to him. Also that he will be stopped and harrassed by police for no reason and that he should be respectful to them, not aggressive, and speak in a non-threatening tone of voice and just basically be very calm, cool, and collected with police. Also if he is arrested while a child or teenager that he is to not answer any of their questions and tell them that he wants them to call his parents and he wants a lawyer and that is it. If they hit him, not to fight back and just take it and think about how we will sue them later if that occurs, but don't tell them that. There are more things I tell him, mostly about how to not do certain things that would cause people to try to paint him as a horrible person, like not playing with his pocket knife outside of our home/yard since someone may think he wants to stab someone. I told him not to draw pictures of people fighting with any injuries at school because someone may use that to try to prove he is violent, and basically just warn him, so it is not a surprise when it occurs, that society will not view him a the gentle, smart, funny, silly, kind person that he is. They will see him as a thug and he should see those who do think he is a thug as idiots and not let their idiocy get to him or make him question whether he is really what idiots think he is.

Execellent!!! I had a similiar talk with my two boys as well. Sadly white america and confused immigrants have no clue about this

Old 04-10-2012, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Wow. Just wow. Is there any proof whatsoever that the majority of black people suffer under the terms in which you warn your child? This isn't 1967....this is 2012. You seem to take the term "helicopter parent" to a whole new level of paranoia. I kind of feel sorry for black kids if this is the type of discussions their parents are having with them. NO wonder they enter the world feeling like victims. Their own parents have made them into victims before they could even be victimized! Very sad indeed.
No, this talk is necessary for OUR children in order to keep overzealous cops and racist individuals from doing any harm to them. Just because you are fortunate to be born of white priviledge in America, you cannot simply dismiss what we as people of color have to do in order to protect OUR children.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies