U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2012, 10:01 AM

13,300 posts, read 10,492,269 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
You're 74 years old. That would explain why. I don't belive it's necessary in 2012.
but it helps, police and others in authority tend to be more relax when someone is polite as oppose to being overly aggressive and rude
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2012, 10:03 AM

29 posts, read 21,693 times
Quote:
You're 74 years old. That would explain why. I don't belive it's necessary in 2012.

It is if you want to live till 74.

Old 04-10-2012, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider275452 View Post
So, you basically warned your kids about white people, nothing wrong with that, doesn't hurt to give them a heads up and while your at it, warn them they will only be viewed as to how they behave. Act like a duck, walk like a duck, you are probably a duck.
Only in theory, black americans are looked at in a different light by various cultures from everything from disdain to actual fear. I have mentioned before I have walked down the street in a suit and tie and white women have done everything from clutching their purses to avoiding me altogether. So how does this fit into your simple "act like a duck, walk like a duck" theory? So tell me what reason would a woman think that a man in a suit would attack/rob them other than what he looks like?

Old 04-10-2012, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by box_of_zip_disks View Post
Parting Ways - By Rich Lowry - The Corner - National Review Online

Good job Lefty loons- you successfully bullied the National Review to fire a good, honest Patriot. PC Nazism run amok yet once again...

Don't worry he can still get a job at the local stromfront paper

Old 04-10-2012, 10:13 AM

29 posts, read 21,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
Only in theory, black americans are looked at in a different light by various cultures from everything from disdain to actual fear. I have mentioned before I have walked down the street in a suit and tie and white women have done everything from clutching their purses to avoiding me altogether. So how does this fit into your simple "act like a duck, walk like a duck" theory? So tell me what reason would a woman think that a man in a suit would attack/rob them other than what he looks like?

Jesse Jackson said the same thing about black youths when HE walks down the street. He will cross the street to avoid trouble.

Old 04-10-2012, 10:18 AM

23,851 posts, read 19,847,217 times
"There is nothing more painful to me at this stage in my life than to walk down the street and hear footsteps and start thinking about robbery. Then look around and see somebody White and feel relieved.” —Jesse Jackson

Old 04-10-2012, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
I'm white and my partner (of 15 years) is black, and we have bi-racial sons. I have witnessed it first-hand... "driving while black". When we lived in California, he was pulled over a couple times in Newport Beach for no reason other than he was a black man was driving a Mercedes (HIS Mercedes) and after they checked the registration and his DL, they let him go. And just two days ago we went into Payless shoes to pick up some shoes for our kids. We had been at the gym and he had on typical gym attire. He walked in ahead of me and I saw the woman behind the counter perk up when he walked by. She then followed him to the back of the store, but left once I started talking to him about which shoes we needed to buy. This is a 42 year old, college-educated man who brings home six figures! So yes, I understand, and considering our boys are bi-racial, we'll probably still have to the "the talk" with them.
My question to you is, if you had not had a black partner would you have known what he goes through as a blackman in this country?

Old 04-10-2012, 10:19 AM

15,412 posts, read 7,873,596 times
Quote:
This is pure, unadulterated paranoia. Why don't you tell him that he'll be a victim of a serial killer? Or maybe struck by lightning? We can expect that to happen eventually, right? Of course not. You have definitely taken the whole "helicopter parent" thing to a whole new level. Poor kid. He'll now walk in fear of the police and probably even white people for the rest of his life. All because mom unnecessarily scared the bejeezus out of him when he was child.
It is too bad that you live in a la-la land. It is a fact that black males are questioned, arrested, stopped, and I would say harrased by police officers much moreso than any other group in this country.

I feel bad for you for not knowing the reality of the society that you live in. Also you really made me laugh calling me a "helicopter parent" LOL. I am actually criticized for being "free range" in today's day and age as I let my kids go outside and walk with friends and do all sorts of things by themselves, like I used to do and what many parents are afraid to let their kids do now-a-days. It is pretty sad IMO. I also don't mind kids falling or getting hurt. I don't care if babies crawl around at the playground. I am really a laid back kind of mom who likes to give kids a lot of freedom but with freedom one needs advice about how to get along in the world. It is up to my kids whether or not they take my advice, but I freely give it out of care and concern for their wellbeings.

And honestly, I don't fear serial killers or kidnappers or sexual predator very much. That said, my son knows what to do if he is approached by a "stranger." We have designated safe places that he can go to in our neighborhood. He also knows what a sexual predator is and some of the horrible things they want to do to children and that my many lectures to him regarding "strangers" and not getting in someone's car or not talking to adults while out and about is a part of being street smart and responsible for himself. Being a victim of a serial killer or kidnapped or even being the victim of a sexual predator (outside of one's household i.e. family members or friends of the family) is very rare. Black teenagers getting questioned by police is not rare. It happens multiple times every day. Funny that I posted my original post and that same day my husband, who is now 40 met me in a food court for a lunch date (we work close by) and he was accused by a cop of stealing a wallet from someone in the train station. He bikes to work and doesn't take the train. A few months ago he was stopped by police while riding his bike who questioned him about whether he stole some HVAC parts from a church. He was arrested because he asked why they stopped him. They charged him with "disorderly conduct" and took him to the city jail. I had to spend some money to post bail. We filed a complaint and all charges were dismissed. This happens EVERY DAY to black males. It is odd to me that you live in some sort of other dimensional utopia and don't know about these things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by btsilver View Post
Having said, The only talk my parents had with me was the fact that I would have to try twice as hard as anyone else to get the same amount of respect. So far it has worked out pretty well for me.
My kids get this talk too. I also received it and I would bet more black kids receive this one versus the other I give to my kids.

Old 04-10-2012, 10:24 AM

23,851 posts, read 19,847,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
It is too bad that you live in a la-la land. It is a fact that black males are questioned, arrested, stopped, and I would say harrased by police officers much moreso than any other group in this country.

I feel bad for you for not knowing the reality of the society that you live in. Also you really made me laugh calling me a "helicopter parent" LOL. I am actually criticized for being "free range" in today's day and age as I let my kids go outside and walk with friends and do all sorts of things by themselves, like I used to do and what many parents are afraid to let their kids do now-a-days. It is pretty sad IMO. I also don't mind kids falling or getting hurt. I don't care if babies crawl around at the playground. I am really a laid back kind of mom who likes to give kids a lot of freedom but with freedom one needs advice about how to get along in the world. It is up to my kids whether or not they take my advice, but I freely give it out of care and concern for their wellbeings.

And honestly, I don't fear serial killers or kidnappers or sexual predator very much. That said, my son knows what to do if he is approached by a "stranger." We have designated safe places that he can go to in our neighborhood. He also knows what a sexual predator is and some of the horrible things they want to do to children and that my many lectures to him regarding "strangers" and not getting in someone's car or not talking to adults while out and about is a part of being street smart and responsible for himself. Being a victim of a serial killer or kidnapped or even being the victim of a sexual predator (outside of one's household i.e. family members or friends of the family) is very rare. Black teenagers getting questioned by police is not rare. It happens multiple times every day. Funny that I posted my original post and that same day my husband, who is now 40 met me in a food court for a lunch date (we work close by) and he was accused by a cop of stealing a wallet from someone in the train station. He bikes to work and doesn't take the train. A few months ago he was stopped by police while riding his bike who questioned him about whether he stole some HVAC parts from a church. He was arrested because he asked why they stopped him. They charged him with "disorderly conduct" and took him to the city jail. I had to spend some money to post bail. We filed a complaint and all charges were dismissed. This happens EVERY DAY to black males. It is odd to me that you live in some sort of other dimensional utopia and don't know about these things.

My kids get this talk too. I also received it and I would bet more black kids receive this one versus the other I give to my kids.
I don't disagree that "driving while black" or other "....while black" phenomenons exist. I know it happens. But statistically, I don't believe it is so prevalent that a parent needs to make a victim out of their child before he gets a chance to actually know how the real world will treat him.

My view is that you're over-reacting. The majority of black men are not harrassed by the police if they keep their noses clean. I think the more beneficial conversation would be to "Stay out of trouble. The Police and your dad and I will rack your balls if you step out of line." That's it. Point made. No scaring the **** out of the kid for simply being black is needed.

As far as your husband being arrested for asking why he was being stopped, I believe there's more to that story than meets the eye. I'm skeptical that it went down that easily considering that the DC police department has a large black worker base.

Old 04-10-2012, 10:26 AM

Quote:
This is pure, unadulterated paranoia. Why don't you tell him that he'll be a victim of a serial killer? Or maybe struck by lightning? We can expect that to happen eventually, right? Of course not. You have definitely taken the whole "helicopter parent" thing to a whole new level. Poor kid. He'll now walk in fear of the police and probably even white people for the rest of his life. All because mom unnecessarily scared the bejeezus out of him when he was child.
This is one of the reasons that we as parents of color need to educate OUR children on the perils of racism. Of course all of this seems extreme to someone born into white priviledge which it seems that you take for granted. None of us nor our children are "scared" nor do we want them to be, but they do need to be prepared. If many parents had this talk there would be alot less violence against them as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies