U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-10-2012, 10:35 AM
 
15,340 posts, read 7,840,213 times
Reputation: 7956

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
I don't disagree that "driving while black" or other "....while black" phenomenons exist. I know it happens. But statistically, I don't believe it is so prevalent that a parent needs to make a victim out of their child before he gets a chance to actually know how the real world will treat him.

My view is that you're over-reacting. The majority of black men are not harrassed by the police if they keep their noses clean. I think the more beneficial conversation would be to "Stay out of trouble. The Police and your dad and I will rack your balls if you step out of line." That's it. Point made. No scaring the **** out of the kid for simply being black is needed.

As far as your husband being arrested for asking why he was being stopped, I believe there's more to that story than meets the eye. I'm skeptical that it went down that easily considering that the DC police department has a large black worker base.

I don't live in DC. And what I said about my husband's arrest was completely true. He has been arrested plenty of times for "disorderly conduct" due to asking officers about an arrest.

And I do tell him what you bolded. He knows if he commits a crime then he is SOL, he will get no help from me and I hope he spends time in jail.

Also I don't see it as making him a victim. Did you tell you kids what I mentioned about strangers? Most parents do. "Don't talk to strangers..." and so on and so forth regarding strangers. It is the same thing. I have 5 uncles who are police officers and they told me the same things I am telling my son. My husband unfortunately, did not receive this sort of information and I truly believe him always asking questions in the reason why he has been arrested. I was told by my uncles to not question officers and that if I was arrested to just get arrested. I would get out if I didn't do anything and I could always file a formal complaint or sue. That is what I do.

And I wanted to note once again, that I did not mention white people so I don't know what the "black" police officers have to do with anything. I live in Atlanta and we do hav a lot of black police offices. FWIW, the black officers are much more aggressive and disrespectful than white officers I have come across and in any dealings with APD, I'd rather deal with a white cop, they are less likely to have an attitude problem in my experience.

But again, it is not making my kid a victim, it is telling them about things that happen in reality. If you want to ignore reality, that is alright. I don't and I don't want my kids to either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-10-2012, 10:59 AM
 
Location: The Land of Reason
13,300 posts, read 10,476,895 times
Reputation: 3541
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
"There is nothing more painful to me at this stage in my life than to walk down the street and hear footsteps and start thinking about robbery. Then look around and see somebody White and feel relieved.” —Jesse Jackson
It is a sad day in America when an icon(?) such as Jesse Jacksonsays things like that considering that many whites don't like him anyway. To be honest with you, I'm personally embarrassed that a supposely black leader is afraid of his own people
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-10-2012, 11:21 AM
 
Location: 20 years from now
5,507 posts, read 5,703,051 times
Reputation: 3439
Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
It is a sad day in America when an icon(?) such as Jesse Jacksonsays things like that considering that many whites don't like him anyway. To be honest with you, I'm personally embarrassed that a supposely black leader is afraid of his own people
Let's be honest about it, Jesse Jackson has a good reason for feeling the way that he did. That's the type of talk we should be having.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-10-2012, 12:22 PM
 
4,951 posts, read 8,522,590 times
Reputation: 2062
I find it very refreshing that non blacks (Africans included) can tell me or any other black person about our experiences living in America. There is an unwritten rule that black people follow when dealing with police officers, especially over zealous police officers who are quick to make an arrest or shoot you because they think you may have a gun. Too many times, these instances have happened. White people love Dave Chappelle but if you listen to any of his comedy, he paints a vivid picture of the differences between how blacks and whites deal with police officers. I know it's comedy but there is some truth to it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-10-2012, 12:33 PM
 
Location: The Land of Reason
13,300 posts, read 10,476,895 times
Reputation: 3541
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
I don't live in DC. And what I said about my husband's arrest was completely true. He has been arrested plenty of times for "disorderly conduct" due to asking officers about an arrest.

And I do tell him what you bolded. He knows if he commits a crime then he is SOL, he will get no help from me and I hope he spends time in jail.

Also I don't see it as making him a victim. Did you tell you kids what I mentioned about strangers? Most parents do. "Don't talk to strangers..." and so on and so forth regarding strangers. It is the same thing. I have 5 uncles who are police officers and they told me the same things I am telling my son. My husband unfortunately, did not receive this sort of information and I truly believe him always asking questions in the reason why he has been arrested. I was told by my uncles to not question officers and that if I was arrested to just get arrested. I would get out if I didn't do anything and I could always file a formal complaint or sue. That is what I do.

And I wanted to note once again, that I did not mention white people so I don't know what the "black" police officers have to do with anything. I live in Atlanta and we do hav a lot of black police offices. FWIW, the black officers are much more aggressive and disrespectful than white officers I have come across and in any dealings with APD, I'd rather deal with a white cop, they are less likely to have an attitude problem in my experience.

But again, it is not making my kid a victim, it is telling them about things that happen in reality. If you want to ignore reality, that is alright. I don't and I don't want my kids to either.

You are wasting your time, it is really about perception. Most whites do not realize that there are two worlds with two different set of rules and when the game "pieces" no longer want to play and make a fuss they in turn call them names such as "victims" or if someone else comes their aide they are labeled as "race baiters". I have tried to make my white friends understand, but short of putting make up on them and have them live as a black person for a day, it's like trying to teach a cat how to bark
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-10-2012, 12:44 PM
 
Location: The Land of Reason
13,300 posts, read 10,476,895 times
Reputation: 3541
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
I find it very refreshing that non blacks (Africans included) can tell me or any other black person about our experiences living in America. There is an unwritten rule that black people follow when dealing with police officers, especially over zealous police officers who are quick to make an arrest or shoot you because they think you may have a gun. Too many times, these instances have happened. White people love Dave Chappelle but if you listen to any of his comedy, he paints a vivid picture of the differences between how blacks and whites deal with police officers. I know it's comedy but there is some truth to it.

Actually there are some Africans as well as other immigrants to this country who look black but will deny being a black american. Many of them are also in denial until something happens to them (do you hear me Edward?) Dave Chappelle as well as Red Foxx, Richard Pryor and various other black comedians have joked about their personal dealings with the police and how different that it is when a white person is pulled over.

"I'm reaching for my wallet, because I'm not trying to be one of those accidents the police tend to have"--Richard Pryor
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-10-2012, 12:46 PM
 
Location: The Land of Reason
13,300 posts, read 10,476,895 times
Reputation: 3541
Quote:
Originally Posted by itshim View Post
Let's be honest about it, Jesse Jackson has a good reason for feeling the way that he did. That's the type of talk we should be having.

Maybe so, but think about how stupid that it sounds from someone that is suppose help fight racial injustice when all actuality he is afraid of his own people and than made it known.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-10-2012, 12:49 PM
 
23,851 posts, read 19,821,419 times
Reputation: 9383
Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
You are wasting your time, it is really about perception. Most whites do not realize that there are two worlds with two different set of rules and when the game "pieces" no longer want to play and make a fuss they in turn call them names such as "victims" or if someone else comes their aide they are labeled as "race baiters". I have tried to make my white friends understand, but short of putting make up on them and have them live as a black person for a day, it's like trying to teach a cat how to bark
I don't pretend to know what a "day in the life" of a black male is like, and i'm sure there are some things that happen that shouldn't. But come on. If you wake up in the morning, shower, dress, drive to work, go to they gym, run to the post office, pick the kids up from daycare, cook dinner, and go to bed like the average American might do in a normal day, then I'm not buying that police can and will harrass you in your daily events just for being black.

I live in the DC metro and work downtown DC, and I can tell you that I encounter thousands of black professionals every single day on my commute to work. I don't see a single one of them being harrassed by the police. EVER. If what you folks are saying is true, then I should have encountered this "accosted for being black" existence that you insist is prevalent by now. I haven't. Not once.

I'm fully convinced that the mentality being put forth here is a ghost of days past. I believe most of you are imagining something that barely exists for 9 out of 10 black people in 2012.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-10-2012, 12:49 PM
 
Location: Staten Island, NY
6,482 posts, read 6,188,574 times
Reputation: 6957
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
I won't waste any more of my time even looking at National Review, let alone reading it after this one. They showed nothing but fear of being called racist for letting that thing be printed. I got it from a right wing blog but enough is enough, for me.
National Review didn't publish that article, Taki Theodorocopoulos' blog did. National Review did the right thing, IMHO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-10-2012, 12:50 PM
 
Location: Denver, Colorado U.S.A.
14,174 posts, read 23,240,704 times
Reputation: 10428
Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
My question to you is, if you had not had a black partner would you have known what he goes through as a blackman in this country?
Probably not. I didn't grow up around black people, so didn't even have any black friends until I was in the military. I don't recall any of them discussing such issues around me. So I probably now have a somewhat unique perspective as a white man.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:23 AM.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top