U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-10-2012, 01:03 PM
 
4,954 posts, read 8,550,266 times
Reputation: 2072

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
Actually there are some Africans as well as other immigrants to this country who look black but will deny being a black american. Many of them are also in denial until something happens to them (do you hear me Edward?) Dave Chappelle as well as Red Foxx, Richard Pryor and various other black comedians have joked about their personal dealings with the police and how different that it is when a white person is pulled over.

"I'm reaching for my wallet, because I'm not trying to be one of those accidents the police tend to have"--Richard Pryor
I have a few African friends and they are cool once you get to know them. Many of them (Ethiopians included) have been brainwashed since birth into believing the stereotypes about blacks. It's not my job to relieve them of their ignorance but i have to remind them from time to time of their pecking order in this great country of ours. They seem perplexed at the attitude that most blacks have towards the system. They never endured the years of injustice in this country. They also don't welcome us with open arms because they believe that we have disowned our heritage when in fact, we haven't. Blacks don't have anything against Africa. We just don't have that connection Africans do because we are Americans. Is just that simple.

Africans have a mindset that "you can do anything in America" if you put in hard work. Which is very true but not so black and white. I am blessed to be college educated and some what worldly about events and life in general. I have always worked since the age of 14 and value earning my own money. I do understand that everybody DID NOT have the same opportunity as me. There are people in this country born into poverty and situations where they have to overcome insurmountable odds just to reach the surface (starting point) where many of us are already well ahead. Many whites (especially rich ones) can't fathom this because they don't understand it.

I have a best friend who was smart as ever in school. He could have easily went to college and been a success. Both of his parents were on drugs so he had to raise his younger female siblings as a teenager. Most of us are going to the movies or the mall and he is cooking, cleaning, getting his siblings ready for school each day and plus going to a job to help pay the bills. The last thing he cared about was school. So when I hear, all you have to do is go to school and do XYZ... I know first hand that life is not that simple.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-10-2012, 01:09 PM
 
4,954 posts, read 8,550,266 times
Reputation: 2072
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
I don't pretend to know what a "day in the life" of a black male is like, and i'm sure there are some things that happen that shouldn't. But come on. If you wake up in the morning, shower, dress, drive to work, go to they gym, run to the post office, pick the kids up from daycare, cook dinner, and go to bed like the average American might do in a normal day, then I'm not buying that police can and will harrass you in your daily events just for being black.

I live in the DC metro and work downtown DC, and I can tell you that I encounter thousands of black professionals every single day on my commute to work. I don't see a single one of them being harrassed by the police. EVER. If what you folks are saying is true, then I should have encountered this "accosted for being black" existence that you insist is prevalent by now. I haven't. Not once.

I'm fully convinced that the mentality being put forth here is a ghost of days past. I believe most of you are imagining something that barely exists for 9 out of 10 black people in 2012.
I can understand your point but I am living proof that it happens a lot. I went to an HBCU and then to GW. I vividly remember being stopped by a swarm of campus police on I street because I was running one night with a laptop in my hand late for class. This was mid 90's. I have also been stopped at National getting off of a flight from a business trip (Pre 9/11) and randomly searched as I walked with a group of white co-workers. We all had on t-shirts from a conference in Indianapolis. They thought it was hilarious that I was stopped. I told them that this is what being black in America is all about. It happens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-10-2012, 01:15 PM
 
15,489 posts, read 7,908,668 times
Reputation: 8024
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
I don't pretend to know what a "day in the life" of a black male is like, and i'm sure there are some things that happen that shouldn't. But come on. If you wake up in the morning, shower, dress, drive to work, go to they gym, run to the post office, pick the kids up from daycare, cook dinner, and go to bed like the average American might do in a normal day, then I'm not buying that police can and will harrass you in your daily events just for being black.

I live in the DC metro and work downtown DC, and I can tell you that I encounter thousands of black professionals every single day on my commute to work. I don't see a single one of them being harrassed by the police. EVER. If what you folks are saying is true, then I should have encountered this "accosted for being black" existence that you insist is prevalent by now. I haven't. Not once.

I'm fully convinced that the mentality being put forth here is a ghost of days past. I believe most of you are imagining something that barely exists for 9 out of 10 black people in 2012.
The bolded area is the key. They normal day in the life that you typed out is the same as both my husband and I do everyday, except adding in, pick up older kid from school before pick up kid from daycare. We also take older kid to baseball practice during this time of the year before dinner. My husband was arrested in the morning on his way to work because he looked like someone that had beat up his girlfriend earlier that morning. The lady, a neighbor of ours said that my husband wasn't him, but my husband was upset at being stopped and told the cop that he needed to get to work and so he was arrested for "disorderly conduct."

He has been pulled over after work, even with our kids in the car. I have even been pulled over with my kids in the car after and before work. I was asked for my license and where I was going and what I was doing.

I will spell it out plainly for you. As a white person, you are not thought to be a criminal or suspicious as much as a black person is, no matter how good of a person we are or that we have no criminal background, we will be suspected of doing something that we shouldn't be doing. I am not bitter about it and it is nothing I see that I am a victim of. If anything I pity those who believe that my husband is a criminal or my son or myself. I think they are idiots as well, it doesn't really bother me.

Even though you know black professionals and haven't seen them pulled over, doesn't mean anything. Ask the black professionals you know if they have been pulled over by police and if they have been arrested for something they did not do, I bet they will surprise you. You think 9 out of 10 don't have that problem and I would surmise that 9 out of 10 have indeed had this sort of experience, that is why I tell my son about it, it happens all the time. Just because you don't want to believe it, doesn't mean it doesn't happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-10-2012, 01:19 PM
 
Location: Montgomery Village
4,120 posts, read 3,839,992 times
Reputation: 1695
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
I don't pretend to know what a "day in the life" of a black male is like, and i'm sure there are some things that happen that shouldn't. But come on. If you wake up in the morning, shower, dress, drive to work, go to they gym, run to the post office, pick the kids up from daycare, cook dinner, and go to bed like the average American might do in a normal day, then I'm not buying that police can and will harrass you in your daily events just for being black.

I live in the DC metro and work downtown DC, and I can tell you that I encounter thousands of black professionals every single day on my commute to work. I don't see a single one of them being harrassed by the police. EVER. If what you folks are saying is true, then I should have encountered this "accosted for being black" existence that you insist is prevalent by now. I haven't. Not once.

I'm fully convinced that the mentality being put forth here is a ghost of days past. I believe most of you are imagining something that barely exists for 9 out of 10 black people in 2012.
I work in the DC area. Why don't you ask one if they have ever been pulled over or harassed by an officer because they were black.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-10-2012, 01:38 PM
 
Location: Atlanta
848 posts, read 586,905 times
Reputation: 525
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
I have a few African friends and they are cool once you get to know them. Many of them (Ethiopians included) have been brainwashed since birth into believing the stereotypes about blacks. It's not my job to relieve them of their ignorance but i have to remind them from time to time of their pecking order in this great country of ours. They seem perplexed at the attitude that most blacks have towards the system. They never endured the years of injustice in this country. They also don't welcome us with open arms because they believe that we have disowned our heritage when in fact, we haven't. Blacks don't have anything against Africa. We just don't have that connection Africans do because we are Americans. Is just that simple.

Africans have a mindset that "you can do anything in America" if you put in hard work. Which is very true but not so black and white. I am blessed to be college educated and some what worldly about events and life in general. I have always worked since the age of 14 and value earning my own money. I do understand that everybody DID NOT have the same opportunity as me. There are people in this country born into poverty and situations where they have to overcome insurmountable odds just to reach the surface (starting point) where many of us are already well ahead. Many whites (especially rich ones) can't fathom this because they don't understand it.

I have a best friend who was smart as ever in school. He could have easily went to college and been a success. Both of his parents were on drugs so he had to raise his younger female siblings as a teenager. Most of us are going to the movies or the mall and he is cooking, cleaning, getting his siblings ready for school each day and plus going to a job to help pay the bills. The last thing he cared about was school. So when I hear, all you have to do is go to school and do XYZ... I know first hand that life is not that simple.
These stories do happen. This guy needed some guidance though. Report your parents, get your siblings in adoption agency or stay with granny(as most do, if available) and better yourself. It does no good to help your family get by when things really are not going to change. You have to sacrifice and put yourself in a position to really help later on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-10-2012, 02:21 PM
 
Location: The Land of Reason
13,300 posts, read 10,511,462 times
Reputation: 3541
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
I have a few African friends and they are cool once you get to know them. Many of them (Ethiopians included) have been brainwashed since birth into believing the stereotypes about blacks. It's not my job to relieve them of their ignorance but i have to remind them from time to time of their pecking order in this great country of ours. They seem perplexed at the attitude that most blacks have towards the system. They never endured the years of injustice in this country. They also don't welcome us with open arms because they believe that we have disowned our heritage when in fact, we haven't. Blacks don't have anything against Africa. We just don't have that connection Africans do because we are Americans. Is just that simple.

Africans have a mindset that "you can do anything in America" if you put in hard work. Which is very true but not so black and white. I am blessed to be college educated and some what worldly about events and life in general. I have always worked since the age of 14 and value earning my own money. I do understand that everybody DID NOT have the same opportunity as me. There are people in this country born into poverty and situations where they have to overcome insurmountable odds just to reach the surface (starting point) where many of us are already well ahead. Many whites (especially rich ones) can't fathom this because they don't understand it.

I have a best friend who was smart as ever in school. He could have easily went to college and been a success. Both of his parents were on drugs so he had to raise his younger female siblings as a teenager. Most of us are going to the movies or the mall and he is cooking, cleaning, getting his siblings ready for school each day and plus going to a job to help pay the bills. The last thing he cared about was school. So when I hear, all you have to do is go to school and do XYZ... I know first hand that life is not that simple.

Thank you for sharing this truth
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-10-2012, 03:01 PM
 
294 posts, read 153,445 times
Reputation: 86
I feel there are two different "talks" here. One is absolutely necessary, and has been explained by residinghere2007 as well as simetime.

It is absolutely ridiculous for any non black to try and "explain" to these black parents that the "talk" isn't necessary. Ridiculous as well as ignorant and self absorbed.

The other talk is one that has only surfaced once, sarcastically:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dood912 View Post
yep, all black kids are taught from an early age to hate whitey and the pigs

you got it, OP.
Obviously it would seem that THIS sort of talk is frowned upon by the posters in this forum, but to deny that it happens is equally ridiculous.

I feel THAT talk is SO detrimental to the young black children. It basically gives them a built in excuse to not try. Whitey is gonna hold you down is a HORRIBLE message. Even if it is true to some degree in your part of the country, don't promote that defeatist mentality.

I want to express my utter sadness stemming from the quote of Jesse Jackson. Sadder than his statement is the "defensive" reaction by some. As if Jesse Jackson is somehow to blame for what he knows to be true. Do you not see the opening of his quote? "There is nothing more painful to me at this stage in my life..." At this stage. He has spent his whole life defending injustices against his people, yet knows that in some areas, he as worth nothing more than the shoes on his feet and the watch on his arm.

Similarly Bill Cosby is someone who came through a lot of crap to be a success, yet when he expresses his dismay for the direction of so many young black people he is considered an uncle tom. "When Bill is paying my bills, then I will care what he has to say" type of attitude.

It is a slap in the face of every Rosa Parks and MLK when these young gangbangers show so much disrespect for themselves and their entire race. I don't know if it is 100% of the problem, but the "hate whitey and the pigs" message is a big part of it, especially pervasive in the projects where hope is dim to start off with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-10-2012, 03:26 PM
 
1,003 posts, read 621,153 times
Reputation: 448
Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
No, this talk is necessary for OUR children in order to keep overzealous cops and racist individuals from doing any harm to them. Just because you are fortunate to be born of white priviledge in America, you cannot simply dismiss what we as people of color have to do in order to protect OUR children.
There is no such thing as white privilege

There are so-called privileged white people emptying garbage cans for a living. And other "privileged" white people rummaging through garbage cans for food because they don't make a living at all.

And the great mass of white people study in school, work at their jobs, raise their kids, pay their taxes, etc. They earn their way through life. They are not born into privilege.

Now I'm not saying they aren't less likely to be hassled by police. But that isn't being "born into privilege".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-10-2012, 03:34 PM
 
Location: 20 years from now
5,539 posts, read 5,726,467 times
Reputation: 3463
Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
Maybe so, but think about how stupid that it sounds from someone that is suppose help fight racial injustice when all actuality he is afraid of his own people and than made it known.
It may sound bad, but he needed to sing another tune anyway. All this talk about racial injustice and stereotypes is one thing, but perhaps we need to start talking about the young black men who insist on living up to them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-10-2012, 03:54 PM
 
Location: South Carolina
8,151 posts, read 5,617,905 times
Reputation: 1752
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Evidently there is some kind of "talk" Black parents make to their kids warning them of cops and whites. I've never received such a talk. Anyway this "talk" came to the fore during the Trayvon Martin. To me it seemed somewhat foolish having a talk to warn your kids about a statistical rarity. So I asked on one of the many Trayvon threads what kind of talks to nonblacks have with their kids? Do they warn them about Blacks?

Well looks like an author wrote an article detailing the "talk" for nonblacks and predictably chaos ensues. Also I'm not familiar with takimag if it's some white power site, I apologize I was linked to it from Forbes.

I think the guy usually writes for the National Review and after the predictable liberal outcry was fired.

Anyway here's the link to the article.




The Talk: Nonblack Version - Taki's Magazine
Doesnt surprise me you never got the talk. Then again AA are the ones who were beat, killed, raped, burned and bombed so your family could then come over here and look down on us.

I would say your welcomed but that would just go over your head too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:30 AM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top