U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2012, 03:57 PM

12,256 posts, read 16,205,923 times

Advertisements

I got The Talk when I was about 13....I think it was mostly overflow from them talking to my brother who was 11 at the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2012, 04:07 PM

8,151 posts, read 5,610,738 times
The new talk. Many republicans are very angry that Obama was elected. They are armed to the teeth and have CWP. They will start things with you and then hope that you yell,curse, or if they get in your face shove them away so they can then shoot you and claim self defense. This is a needed talk to have with not only black kids but all black men.
I want as many as possible to obtain a CWP so we can defend ourselves and walk the street with dignity. Not hat in handsaying sorry mister so they don't shoot you. Again not white people but white republicans.

Old 04-10-2012, 04:19 PM

294 posts, read 152,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by enemy country View Post
The new talk. Many republicans are very angry that Obama was elected. They are armed to the teeth and have CWP. They will start things with you and then hope that you yell,curse, or if they get in your face shove them away so they can then shoot you and claim self defense. This is a needed talk to have with not only black kids but all black men.
I want as many as possible to obtain a CWP so we can defend ourselves and walk the street with dignity. Not hat in handsaying sorry mister so they don't shoot you. Again not white people but white republicans.

Stereotyping "White republicans" doesn't help anything.

I was sad when Obama won, but after hearing his inauguration speech I was filled with hope. How he has let us down. Hope and change quickly turned to politics as usual.

Many poor policies and decisions have put us in a weakened position. I know many who were Obama supporters who are also disgruntled at his actual agenda once elected.

Old 04-10-2012, 04:22 PM

8,151 posts, read 5,610,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cledussnow View Post
Stereotyping "White republicans" doesn't help anything.

I was sad when Obama won, but after hearing his inauguration speech I was filled with hope. How he has let us down. Hope and change quickly turned to politics as usual.

Many poor policies and decisions have put us in a weakened position. I know many who were Obama supporters who are also disgruntled at his actual agenda once elected.
you know what doesnt help is letting crooked cops and wanna be seen as a hero for killing a black child criminals get away with it.

Old 04-10-2012, 04:25 PM

294 posts, read 152,974 times
Quote:
you know what doesnt help is letting crooked cops and wanna be seen as a hero for killing a black child criminals get away with it.
Amen!

Old 04-10-2012, 05:08 PM

2,716 posts, read 2,613,770 times
I never had a talk warning about cops and whites.

I had the talk about self responsibility and decency.

Basically they told me if I :
Don't Look Ghetto (Thuggish)
Don't Act Ghetto (or Thuggish)
Don't Speak Ghetto(or Thuggish)
Don't Dress Ghetto(or Thuggish)
Don't Associate Myself with anyone who does so.

I would not have any issues with anyone, and I would be successful.

That advice worked.

Pretty common sense advice that apparently many don't get.

Old 04-10-2012, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jermaine88 View Post
I never had a talk warning about cops and whites.

I had the talk about self responsibility and decency.

Basically they told me if I :
Don't Look Ghetto (Thuggish)
Don't Act Ghetto (or Thuggish)
Don't Speak Ghetto(or Thuggish)
Don't Dress Ghetto(or Thuggish)
Don't Associate Myself with anyone who does so.

I would not have any issues with anyone, and I would be successful.

That advice worked.

Pretty common sense advice that apparently many don't get.
You and your family must live in the perfect part of america. I've never done anything that would be considered ghetto or thuggish but I'd be lying if I said I never encountered racism. Hell, I EARNED a scholarship to college but you know I overheard a parent telling another one that I probably got it due to affirmative action? You know how many times people have told me I don't "sound" like a black person?

No I didn't get the "all white people are out to get you" talk but I got the "some people will make negative assumptions about you because you're black" talk. Sadly, they were right.

Old 04-10-2012, 05:24 PM

2,737 posts, read 4,342,746 times
Quote:
Unbelievably stupid.

Old 04-10-2012, 05:26 PM

2,737 posts, read 4,342,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
You and your family must live in the perfect part of america. I've never done anything that would be considered ghetto or thuggish but I'd be lying if I said I never encountered racism. Hell, I EARNED a scholarship to college but you know I overheard a parent telling another one that I probably got it due to affirmative action? You know how many times people have told me I don't "sound" like a black person?
No I didn't get the "all white people are out to get you" talk but I got the "some people will make negative assumptions about you because you're black" talk. Sadly, they were right.
Yeah, there are some people that will do exactly that. But not all - in fact, probably not a majority. But it's not just non-blacks who do & say stupid things like that.

Old 04-10-2012, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big George View Post
Yeah, there are some people that will do exactly that. But not all - in fact, probably not a majority. But it's not just non-blacks who do & say stupid things like that.
Yep and my parents never specifically said it would be white people. They told me that for some people me being black would be a disadvantage and they taught me how to work that in my favor. You'd be amazed at how easy it is to exceed expectations when people set them so low
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies