U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-10-2012, 05:45 PM

29 posts, read 16,885 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
You and your family must live in the perfect part of america. I've never done anything that would be considered ghetto or thuggish but I'd be lying if I said I never encountered racism. Hell, I EARNED a scholarship to college but you know I overheard a parent telling another one that I probably got it due to affirmative action? You know how many times people have told me I don't "sound" like a black person?

No I didn't get the "all white people are out to get you" talk but I got the "some people will make negative assumptions about you because you're black" talk. Sadly, they were right.
You know....there's an easy way to get rid of that kind of perception....do away with affirmative action a/k/a reverse discrimination against my people.......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2012, 05:46 PM

4,380 posts, read 2,923,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by enemy country View Post
The new talk. Many republicans are very angry that Obama was elected. They are armed to the teeth and have CWP. They will start things with you and then hope that you yell,curse, or if they get in your face shove them away so they can then shoot you and claim self defense. This is a needed talk to have with not only black kids but all black men.
I want as many as possible to obtain a CWP so we can defend ourselves and walk the street with dignity. Not hat in handsaying sorry mister so they don't shoot you. Again not white people but white republicans.
Too bad George Zimmerman is a Hispanic Democrat.

Old 04-10-2012, 05:47 PM

2,737 posts, read 4,319,116 times
Quote:
Yep and my parents never specifically said it would be white people. They told me that for some people me being black would be a disadvantage and they taught me how to work that in my favor. You'd be amazed at how easy it is to exceed expectations when people set them so low
I think one of the solutions is for non-blacks to spend more time around smart, successful blacks. We hear so much negative crap about blacks, that we tend to think there's no positive. But when you see first-hand that positive is the norm, it makes a big difference.

Old 04-10-2012, 06:18 PM

18,614 posts, read 16,383,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
Of course you would have no clue about "the talk" because you are totally ignorant of America's history towards blacks. FYI, the "talk" has been discussed with our children way before Trayvon was even born. The crap that this clown was spewing was basically hate and separatist speech.
Not ignorant but I'm also not infused with the culture of the plantation hence no talk.

Old 04-10-2012, 06:27 PM

2,706 posts, read 3,325,997 times
This whole thing is a vicious circle. The media is hyping up race relations, which has people really thinking about race relations. I really thought we were past this stage.

Another part of the circle is this: White priviledge does exist, and many whites do not acknowledge it. There are still assumptions made in public about blacks that whites do not have to deal with for the most part.

Also, there are behaviors and dress in the black community that perpetuate those prejudices and assumptions that many blacks do not acknowledge. I'm sorry, but if your pants are hanging below your ass, and you are walking slowly down the middle of the street at 10pm, I don't want anything to do with you.

The part that gets me is this: A middle aged black man in a business suit walking downtown in the middle of the day? Never one time have I felt threatened by that. To me, it is much more about behavior, attitude, and dress than it is about skin color. Like I said, if your pants are hanging below your ass, and you are walking slowly down the middle of the street, I don't want anything to do with you, and I don't care what color you are.

Old 04-10-2012, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
It is too bad that you live in a la-la land. It is a fact that black males are questioned, arrested, stopped, and I would say harrased by police officers much moreso than any other group in this country.
It's a fact that Blacks commit disproportionate amount of violent crimes. Do you want police to stop Asian men when they are looking for Black men? Or should they not look for Black men at all and let criminals go free.

Quote:
I feel bad for you for not knowing the reality of the society that you live in.
Here's my reality. On Friday I was about 5 minutes away from being caught up in a gun battle in broad daylight. Silly me I was merely taking Route 1 in Baltimore to go home. Shooter Black, victims Black. I guess in this scenerio you would have the police search for white men for some sort of color blind law enforcement method.

Quote:
Also you really made me laugh calling me a "helicopter parent" LOL. I am actually criticized for being "free range" in today's day and age as I let my kids go outside and walk with friends and do all sorts of things by themselves, like I used to do and what many parents are afraid to let their kids do now-a-days. It is pretty sad IMO. I also don't mind kids falling or getting hurt. I don't care if babies crawl around at the playground. I am really a laid back kind of mom who likes to give kids a lot of freedom but with freedom one needs advice about how to get along in the world. It is up to my kids whether or not they take my advice, but I freely give it out of care and concern for their wellbeings.

You're supermom.

Quote:
And honestly, I don't fear serial killers or kidnappers or sexual predator very much. That said, my son knows what to do if he is approached by a "stranger." We have designated safe places that he can go to in our neighborhood. He also knows what a sexual predator is and some of the horrible things they want to do to children and that my many lectures to him regarding "strangers" and not getting in someone's car or not talking to adults while out and about is a part of being street smart and responsible for himself. Being a victim of a serial killer or kidnapped or even being the victim of a sexual predator (outside of one's household i.e. family members or friends of the family) is very rare. Black teenagers getting questioned by police is not rare. It happens multiple times every day. Funny that I posted my original post and that same day my husband, who is now 40 met me in a food court for a lunch date (we work close by) and he was accused by a cop of stealing a wallet from someone in the train station.
I'm 34 and I have never been accused of stealing anything. Are you sure you know the man laying next to you? I find it odd and actually unbelievable that one man would be falsely accused of stealing by random strangers 5 times.

Quote:
He bikes to work and doesn't take the train. A few months ago he was stopped by police while riding his bike who questioned him about whether he stole some HVAC parts from a church. He was arrested because he asked why they stopped him. They charged him with "disorderly conduct" and took him to the city jail. I had to spend some money to post bail. We filed a complaint and all charges were dismissed. This happens EVERY DAY to black males. It is odd to me that you live in some sort of other dimensional utopia and don't know about these things.

Never happened to me.

Quote:
My kids get this talk too. I also received it and I would bet more black kids receive this one versus the other I give to my kids.
Maybe Black parents could talk to their kids about getting better grades, waiting to have sex before getting married, not getting pregnant, disavow the thug culture etc. That would be far more productive than warning against the statistical rarity of being killed by a white man.

Old 04-10-2012, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jermaine88 View Post
I never had a talk warning about cops and whites.

I had the talk about self responsibility and decency.

Basically they told me if I :
Don't Look Ghetto (Thuggish)
Don't Act Ghetto (or Thuggish)
Don't Speak Ghetto(or Thuggish)
Don't Dress Ghetto(or Thuggish)
Don't Associate Myself with anyone who does so.

I would not have any issues with anyone, and I would be successful.

That advice worked.

Pretty common sense advice that apparently many don't get.
Bingo. I received similar advice. I was always taught to respect cops and authority. If more Black parents taught what you posted above there would be no need to worry about racial profiling.

Old 04-10-2012, 06:44 PM

Quote:
You and your family must live in the perfect part of america. I've never done anything that would be considered ghetto or thuggish but I'd be lying if I said I never encountered racism. Hell, I EARNED a scholarship to college but you know I overheard a parent telling another one that I probably got it due to affirmative action? You know how many times people have told me I don't "sound" like a black person?

No I didn't get the "all white people are out to get you" talk but I got the "some people will make negative assumptions about you because you're black" talk. Sadly, they were right.
Ironically the only time I've heard that in my life is from Blacks back when I transferred from a mostly white private school to a mostly black public school. In fact the first time I heard the N-word and the first time I was exposed to the notion that being dark skinned was somehow undesirable was also from Blacks.

You people have serious internal issues that need to be dealt with before anyone can take these supposed "talk" issues seriously.

Old 04-10-2012, 06:50 PM

12,256 posts, read 16,173,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hangin' Chad View Post
You know....there's an easy way to get rid of that kind of perception....do away with affirmative action a/k/a reverse discrimination against my people.......
Yeah...sure that will stop it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big George View Post
I think one of the solutions is for non-blacks to spend more time around smart, successful blacks. We hear so much negative crap about blacks, that we tend to think there's no positive. But when you see first-hand that positive is the norm, it makes a big difference.
That won't work. I've seen first hand that smart, successful black people are overlooked. When looking for an example of how black people act it's always the ones who fit the stereotype are the ones that everyone focuses on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Ironically the only time I've heard that in my life is from Blacks back when I transferred from a mostly white private school to a mostly black public school. In fact the first time I heard the N-word and the first time I was exposed to the notion that being dark skinned was somehow undesirable was also from Blacks.

You people have serious internal issues that need to be dealt with before anyone can take these supposed "talk" issues seriously.
I've found that it's pretty much impossible to have anything that resembles an intelligent conversation with someone who refers to me as part of "you people" so I won't bother trying to converse with you on this topic.

Old 04-10-2012, 06:56 PM

Flash mobs hit Portland. I just don't understand why folks are profiling Blacks.

Another black flash mob, this time in Oregon - YouTube!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies