Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2012, 11:55 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,349,154 times

Advertisements

Evidently there is some kind of "talk" Black parents make to their kids warning them of cops and whites. I've never received such a talk. Anyway this "talk" came to the fore during the Trayvon Martin. To me it seemed somewhat foolish having a talk to warn your kids about a statistical rarity. So I asked on one of the many Trayvon threads what kind of talks to nonblacks have with their kids? Do they warn them about Blacks?

Well looks like an author wrote an article detailing the "talk" for nonblacks and predictably chaos ensues. Also I'm not familiar with takimag if it's some white power site, I apologize I was linked to it from Forbes.

I think the guy usually writes for the National Review and after the predictable liberal outcry was fired.

Anyway here's the link to the article.

Quote:
“Sean O’Reilly was 16 when his mother gave him the talk that most black parents give their teenage sons,” Denisa R. Superville of the Hackensack (NJ) Record tells us. Meanwhile, down in Atlanta: “Her sons were 12 and 8 when Marlyn Tillman realized it was time for her to have the talk,” Gracie Bonds Staples writes in the Fort Worth Star-Telegram.

Leonard Greene talks about the talk in the New York Post. Someone bylined as KJ Dell’Antonia talks about the talk in The New York Times. Darryl Owens talks about the talk in the Orlando Sentinel.

Yes, talk about the talk is all over.

There is a talk that nonblack Americans have with their kids, too. My own kids, now 19 and 16, have had it in bits and pieces as subtopics have arisen. If I were to assemble it into a single talk, it would look something like the following.
http://takimag.com/article/the_talk_...#ixzz1rNWZ79rf
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2012, 12:01 PM

Why National Review Must Fire John Derbyshire - Forbes

Liberal outrage.

Old 04-07-2012, 12:04 PM

Quote:
(10) Thus, while always attentive to the particular qualities of individuals, on the many occasions where you have nothing to guide you but knowledge of those mean differences, use statistical common sense:

(10a) Avoid concentrations of blacks not all known to you personally.

(10b) Stay out of heavily black neighborhoods.

(10c) If planning a trip to a beach or amusement park at some date, find out whether it is likely to be swamped with blacks on that date (neglect of that one got me the closest I have ever gotten to death by gunshot).

(10d) Do not attend events likely to draw a lot of blacks.

(10e) If you are at some public event at which the number of blacks suddenly swells, leave as quickly as possible.

(10f) Do not settle in a district or municipality run by black politicians.

(10g) Before voting for a black politician, scrutinize his/her character much more carefully than you would a white.

(10h) Do not act the Good Samaritan to blacks in apparent distress, e.g., on the highway.

(10i) If accosted by a strange black in the street, smile and say something polite but keep moving.

http://takimag.com/article/the_talk_...#ixzz1rNYs0Xu7

Old 04-07-2012, 12:12 PM

5,232 posts, read 8,385,238 times
I dont think a talk is needed. If you have your eyes open as you live your life you'll quickly learn who & what should make you nervous. If you have questions watch the news & read the papers in your area. My bet is there is alot more likelyhood of white people getting victimized by black than the reverse, and its also more likely that a black person will be the victim of another black person than a white one. Its just the way it is & the NAACP, Sharpton & the rest work real hard to keep it that way.
All I ever told my kids was they dont need to let anybody, NOBODY, lay their hands on them & to be aware of whats going on around you. When they got older they asked me why the "bad" areas were filled with black people & why they seemed to be in the news for violence more than white people.
I said I dont know, but I'm glad you noticed & care about the why, now try to figure it out yourself, because nobody else can.

Old 04-07-2012, 12:35 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,753,718 times
Don't know about any outrage regarding this article. It is always interesting to me that so many posts here on CD refer to black people being outraged about things that I am usually not outraged about. It is laughable actually.

But I have spoken words of wisdom to my son about topics that you probably this is "the talk." They have to do with the fact that he will eventually be seen by society as a thug and to not let that get to him. Also that he will be stopped and harrassed by police for no reason and that he should be respectful to them, not aggressive, and speak in a non-threatening tone of voice and just basically be very calm, cool, and collected with police. Also if he is arrested while a child or teenager that he is to not answer any of their questions and tell them that he wants them to call his parents and he wants a lawyer and that is it. If they hit him, not to fight back and just take it and think about how we will sue them later if that occurs, but don't tell them that. There are more things I tell him, mostly about how to not do certain things that would cause people to try to paint him as a horrible person, like not playing with his pocket knife outside of our home/yard since someone may think he wants to stab someone. I told him not to draw pictures of people fighting with any injuries at school because someone may use that to try to prove he is violent, and basically just warn him, so it is not a surprise when it occurs, that society will not view him a the gentle, smart, funny, silly, kind person that he is. They will see him as a thug and he should see those who do think he is a thug as idiots and not let their idiocy get to him or make him question whether he is really what idiots think he is.

Old 04-07-2012, 12:56 PM

359 posts, read 327,794 times
yep, all black kids are taught from an early age to hate whitey and the pigs

you got it, OP.

Old 04-07-2012, 01:18 PM

6,898 posts, read 4,731,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
My question is, why should one have to give a talk like this to their kids?

Old 04-07-2012, 01:18 PM

4,739 posts, read 10,388,583 times
EdwardA - back OT to the Nonblack Version of The Talk (about cops). I wouldn't describe it as a one-time event, but children in my family are taught how to respond in a respectful manner to police and to consider police officers as trustworthy people (they can learn cynicism later). Driving-age kids get taught how to get pulled over for traffic tickets - be polite, keep hands in sight.

As far as a talk about blacks, no. However, we do have age-appropriate talks about behaviors and situations to avoid.

Old 04-07-2012, 03:38 PM

2,239 posts, read 1,379,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
so it is not a surprise when it occurs, that society will not view him a the gentle, smart, funny, silly, kind person that he is. They will see him as a thug and he should see those who do think he is a thug as idiots and not let their idiocy get to him or make him question whether he is really what idiots think he is.
This makes me very sad. I wish only good things for your precious son. May he live long and prosper (not a joke).

I read this article today and I kept hoping it was satire, looking for the phrase that would explain, but I never found it. That someone could think this way and tell their children to think this way is abhorrent.

Old 04-07-2012, 03:40 PM

3,265 posts, read 3,179,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Hate to break it to you but Josh Barro's a conservative who writes for the National Review.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies