Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2012, 05:20 AM

3,265 posts, read 3,191,811 times

Advertisements

Parting Ways - By Rich Lowry - The Corner - National Review Online

Good job Lefty loons- you successfully bullied the National Review to fire a good, honest Patriot. PC Nazism run amok yet once again...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2012, 03:37 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,813,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider275452 View Post
So, you basically warned your kids about white people, nothing wrong with that, doesn't hurt to give them a heads up and while your at it, warn them they will only be viewed as to how they behave. Act like a duck, walk like a duck, you are probably a duck.

But that is not the case. I know at least 5 times that my husband has been accused of theft. He has never been a criminal, has a college degree and usually holds down 2 jobs. Once he was accused by a lady of stealing her purse (she had the police with her) in front of his place of work. I had to wait about an hour while many witnesses told officers that my husband did not steal the lady's purse. He was working and wasn't in the location where her purse was stolen. He had on business casual clothes and never lets his pants sag and never looks thuggish, plus he was in his late 30s, so couldn't (by a normal person) be confused as a young punk thief.

I know from being with him for 13 years and the many times he has been accused of being a criminal that the way one behaves is not necessarily a reflection of how they will be treated.

And to Aero, I am not teaching him to be afraid, I am teaching him about negative perceptions and about reality. Unfortunately many prejudicial attitudes are still prevalent now in 2012. All of my brothers, my husbands, my cousin, my uncles, have all been accused of things they have not done and all of them have been arrested for nothing. I don't want my son to see these things, that I am certain will happen to him at least once in his life, as something to get upset about, they are reality and they will happen. It is too bad that you do not acknowledge that this is the truth and that in the current year, young black males still fit a description of a criminal and are suspect to being questioned and stopped by society due to the prejudicial view that our society as a whole has of them. I also want to point out that I did not mention white people specifically. I have not issue at all with white people and not only white people view black males in a negative light. But I do focus moreso with our talks regarding the police, because I don't want him to do something stupid and end up getting charged with a crime unnecessarily just because he is angry at the way an officer speaks to him or man handles him. I want him to know that something like this will happen eventually and that he should be calm and let whatever happens happen. As long as he has not done anything criminal we will be on his side and his experience with the legal system will be brief.

Old 04-08-2012, 03:53 PM

2,674 posts, read 4,391,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Evidently there is some kind of "talk" Black parents make to their kids warning them of cops and whites. I've never received such a talk. Anyway this "talk" came to the fore during the Trayvon Martin. To me it seemed somewhat foolish having a talk to warn your kids about a statistical rarity. So I asked on one of the many Trayvon threads what kind of talks to nonblacks have with their kids? Do they warn them about Blacks?

Well looks like an author wrote an article detailing the "talk" for nonblacks and predictably chaos ensues. Also I'm not familiar with takimag if it's some white power site, I apologize I was linked to it from Forbes.

I think the guy usually writes for the National Review and after the predictable liberal outcry was fired.

Anyway here's the link to the article.

http://takimag.com/article/the_talk_...#ixzz1rNWZ79rf
The 'talk' exists because it's needed, obviously.
Hell, I once got the 'talk' - you're a black man in the south...- from white neighbors as I drove north from South Carolina. Racism ain't the boogeyman, it actually exists. This isn't to say you should look for it where it doesn't exist, but you still need to be careful. More careful in some places as well.

Old 04-09-2012, 12:55 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,213,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
But that is not the case. I know at least 5 times that my husband has been accused of theft. He has never been a criminal, has a college degree and usually holds down 2 jobs. Once he was accused by a lady of stealing her purse (she had the police with her) in front of his place of work. I had to wait about an hour while many witnesses told officers that my husband did not steal the lady's purse. He was working and wasn't in the location where her purse was stolen. He had on business casual clothes and never lets his pants sag and never looks thuggish, plus he was in his late 30s, so couldn't (by a normal person) be confused as a young punk thief.

I know from being with him for 13 years and the many times he has been accused of being a criminal that the way one behaves is not necessarily a reflection of how they will be treated.

And to Aero, I am not teaching him to be afraid, I am teaching him about negative perceptions and about reality. Unfortunately many prejudicial attitudes are still prevalent now in 2012. All of my brothers, my husbands, my cousin, my uncles, have all been accused of things they have not done and all of them have been arrested for nothing. I don't want my son to see these things, that I am certain will happen to him at least once in his life, as something to get upset about, they are reality and they will happen. It is too bad that you do not acknowledge that this is the truth and that in the current year, young black males still fit a description of a criminal and are suspect to being questioned and stopped by society due to the prejudicial view that our society as a whole has of them. I also want to point out that I did not mention white people specifically. I have not issue at all with white people and not only white people view black males in a negative light. But I do focus moreso with our talks regarding the police, because I don't want him to do something stupid and end up getting charged with a crime unnecessarily just because he is angry at the way an officer speaks to him or man handles him. I want him to know that something like this will happen eventually and that he should be calm and let whatever happens happen. As long as he has not done anything criminal we will be on his side and his experience with the legal system will be brief.
I'm white and my partner (of 15 years) is black, and we have bi-racial sons. I have witnessed it first-hand... "driving while black". When we lived in California, he was pulled over a couple times in Newport Beach for no reason other than he was a black man was driving a Mercedes (HIS Mercedes) and after they checked the registration and his DL, they let him go. And just two days ago we went into Payless shoes to pick up some shoes for our kids. We had been at the gym and he had on typical gym attire. He walked in ahead of me and I saw the woman behind the counter perk up when he walked by. She then followed him to the back of the store, but left once I started talking to him about which shoes we needed to buy. This is a 42 year old, college-educated man who brings home six figures! So yes, I understand, and considering our boys are bi-racial, we'll probably still have to the "the talk" with them.

Old 04-09-2012, 01:01 PM

4,300 posts, read 4,406,437 times
I know the "Talk" I'm sick of. It's all this black vs white vs hispanic (pick your color of skin in that spectrum) . . . We need an alien invasion (by a very weak & wussified little race of aliens) to unify us so we can see that we have a lot more in common than not. We, as a race (there is ONLY one race) should be farther along than this. Stupidity holds us all back.

Old 04-09-2012, 01:56 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,112,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post

This is pure, unadulterated paranoia. Why don't you tell him that he'll be a victim of a serial killer? Or maybe struck by lightning? We can expect that to happen eventually, right? Of course not. You have definitely taken the whole "helicopter parent" thing to a whole new level. Poor kid. He'll now walk in fear of the police and probably even white people for the rest of his life. All because mom unnecessarily scared the bejeezus out of him when he was child.

Old 04-09-2012, 01:59 PM

1,303 posts, read 1,097,533 times
I give the "talk" to my girlfriend every time she comes to visit me here in Little Mogadishu (Philadelphia).

Luckily, her family also exposed her to "the talk", so she knows better than to put herself into compromising situations.

Old 04-09-2012, 02:55 PM

11,755 posts, read 14,643,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by box_of_zip_disks View Post
Parting Ways - By Rich Lowry - The Corner - National Review Online

Good job Lefty loons- you successfully bullied the National Review to fire a good, honest Patriot. PC Nazism run amok yet once again...
And this is because the National Review is so assiduous about doing whatever liberals want it to do?

Old 04-09-2012, 03:01 PM

359 posts, read 329,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldawg82 View Post
I know the "Talk" I'm sick of. It's all this black vs white vs hispanic (pick your color of skin in that spectrum) . . . We need an alien invasion (by a very weak & wussified little race of aliens) to unify us so we can see that we have a lot more in common than not. We, as a race (there is ONLY one race) should be farther along than this. Stupidity holds us all back.
Hahaha thats the truth, man.

Old 04-09-2012, 03:12 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,445,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Evidently there is some kind of "talk" Black parents make to their kids warning them of cops and whites. I've never received such a talk. Anyway this "talk" came to the fore during the Trayvon Martin. To me it seemed somewhat foolish having a talk to warn your kids about a statistical rarity. So I asked on one of the many Trayvon threads what kind of talks to nonblacks have with their kids? Do they warn them about Blacks?

Well looks like an author wrote an article detailing the "talk" for nonblacks and predictably chaos ensues. Also I'm not familiar with takimag if it's some white power site, I apologize I was linked to it from Forbes.

I think the guy usually writes for the National Review and after the predictable liberal outcry was fired.

Anyway here's the link to the article.

The Talk: Nonblack Version - Taki's Magazine
There are links in the article which the writer uses to support their position that are from racist perspectives one person is fond of eugenics.

It's really sad when someone posts garbage like this and uses racist papers in order to support their beliefs.

It is long overdue that this country has "the talk" on the concept of "race", it should have taken place years ago, but definitely during Obama's first term in office.

This country is pathetic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies