U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-07-2012, 08:07 PM
 
Location: Pluto's Home Town
9,995 posts, read 11,681,157 times
Reputation: 5580

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
You are stereotyping. You would be surprised how moderate and even liberal much of TX is, we were Democrat back when the Democrats represented the real working man like the farmer and rancher. We are actually one of the most diverse states you'll find and very accepting of all our white / black / brown communities.

For the record... many of us here thing Rick Perry is a Nimrod / Moron and have no respect for the man. Our Governor position is more of a figure head with very little power. We knew he didn't stand a chance and as soon as he opened his mouth he would prove us right and he did.

Let me add... when a Texan gives you his word or shakes your hand, you can take it to the bank. There is still a lot of old values here in principles, honor and values.
Just to clarify, I was not addressing all Texans with that post. I was talking to the conservatives. They sent us the Tea Party and Tom DeLay. I think some of the best posters here are moderate Texans. Good to hear the someone's word means something. Send some of those guys to Wall Street!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-07-2012, 08:15 PM
 
Location: Pluto's Home Town
9,995 posts, read 11,681,157 times
Reputation: 5580
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
You are stereotyping. You would be surprised how moderate and even liberal much of TX is, we were Democrat back when the Democrats represented the real working man like the farmer and rancher. We are actually one of the most diverse states you'll find and very accepting of all our white / black / brown communities.

For the record... many of us here thing Rick Perry is a Nimrod / Moron and have no respect for the man. Our Governor position is more of a figure head with very little power. We knew he didn't stand a chance and as soon as he opened his mouth he would prove us right and he did.

Let me add... when a Texan gives you his word or shakes your hand, you can take it to the bank. There is still a lot of old values here in principles, honor and values.
Ain't that the truth.

There's three things I just can stand about Perry:
1. His hair.
2. His prayer breakfast posing.
3. .....er...um....uh, uh, uh.....ooops!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-07-2012, 08:22 PM
 
Location: DFW - Coppell / Las Colinas
32,019 posts, read 36,660,750 times
Reputation: 38660
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
Ain't that the truth.

There's three things I just can stand about Perry:
1. His hair.
2. His prayer breakfast posing.
3. .....er...um....uh, uh, uh.....ooops!
What we Texans have seen is how cheaply he can be bought off. He lost me when he wanted to let Spain and private investors build a Toll Road from Mexico and take private lands.

He never stood a chance. At least Ron Paul speaks many truths, he just says it in a crazy manner. But I can't say he's wrong. He's like Chris Christy without the polish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-07-2012, 08:27 PM
 
17,497 posts, read 10,664,047 times
Reputation: 6746
I have to say I've met a few Texans on CD and they have to be the friendliest ones on CD!!!

Almost makes me want to move to TEXAS!!! Do all of you wear cowboy boots???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-07-2012, 08:42 PM
 
Location: texas
3,059 posts, read 3,230,027 times
Reputation: 1738
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
I have to say I've met a few Texans on CD and they have to be the friendliest ones on CD!!!

Almost makes me want to move to TEXAS!!! Do all of you wear cowboy boots???


Sometimes Depends on my mood.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-07-2012, 08:46 PM
 
Location: DFW - Coppell / Las Colinas
32,019 posts, read 36,660,750 times
Reputation: 38660
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
Do all of you wear cowboy boots???
We may not always wear them but there is usually a pair in the closet.

Now our guns are a different story. Nobody has just 1 and and we feel it's a right we should protect dearly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-07-2012, 08:48 PM
 
Location: North Beach, MD on the Chesapeake
33,908 posts, read 42,154,529 times
Reputation: 43311
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
I have to say I've met a few Texans on CD and they have to be the friendliest ones on CD!!!

Maybe here. On a waterfowling forum I'm on Texans are the rudest behind only the guys from Arkansas and Louisiana.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-07-2012, 09:23 PM
 
Location: Out West
22,763 posts, read 16,841,238 times
Reputation: 26306
I've lived in Texas, Florida, Washington and Maine amongst other places and this is what I have observed:

Washington: If you're liberal, you may speak freely. If you're not, you are shouted down.

Texas: They have NO QUALMS about discussing their political beliefs. None whatsoever. And I frankly agree with it and welcome it.

Florida: Gonna tick off some Floridians but I found that most of the people I met didn't have a damn clue about politics. They didn't even understand how our fricken government works! A former boss of mine is from Russia and she was getting ready to take her test for citizenship. She brought the sample questions to work and started quizzing us to see what WE knew. It was UNbelievable what my co-workers got wrong. They even fought me on a couple of answers before it was revealed I was right...stupid crap like:

"Who said, 'Give me liberty or give me death'?"

I replied, "Patrick Henry".

Co-workers: "No, I think it was Thomas Jefferson."

Me: "No, it was Patrick Henry."

Co-workers: "LOL, Patrick Henry! (And gave me a look that said they thought I was a fricken idiot.) It was Thomas Jefferson...pscht, Patrick Henry, who's that? LOL!"

Russian lady: "Patrick Henry."

Maine: "We have our beliefs but we don't discuss them. And we expect that you not discuss yours either, cause that would be preaching and we don't take kindly to outsiders preaching." GMAFB. I'll fricken talk about what the hell I want to talk about.

So yes, if you see a lot of people from Texas, from either side of the aisle, on these boards discussing politics, it's because, from what I've observed, they feel absolutely free to give their opinions, discuss politics, have debates and don't give a rat's ass if someone doesn't like it, they have that right and they are going to exercise that right.

If Texas wasn't so damn hot and the ocean at Galveston was cleaner, I'd stay in Texas. It's a damn fine state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-08-2012, 01:07 PM
 
Location: Pluto's Home Town
9,995 posts, read 11,681,157 times
Reputation: 5580
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
I've lived in Texas, Florida, Washington and Maine amongst other places and this is what I have observed:

Washington: If you're liberal, you may speak freely. If you're not, you are shouted down.

Texas: They have NO QUALMS about discussing their political beliefs. None whatsoever. And I frankly agree with it and welcome it.

Florida: Gonna tick off some Floridians but I found that most of the people I met didn't have a damn clue about politics. They didn't even understand how our fricken government works! A former boss of mine is from Russia and she was getting ready to take her test for citizenship. She brought the sample questions to work and started quizzing us to see what WE knew. It was UNbelievable what my co-workers got wrong. They even fought me on a couple of answers before it was revealed I was right...stupid crap like:

"Who said, 'Give me liberty or give me death'?"

I replied, "Patrick Henry".

Co-workers: "No, I think it was Thomas Jefferson."

Me: "No, it was Patrick Henry."

Co-workers: "LOL, Patrick Henry! (And gave me a look that said they thought I was a fricken idiot.) It was Thomas Jefferson...pscht, Patrick Henry, who's that? LOL!"

Russian lady: "Patrick Henry."

Maine: "We have our beliefs but we don't discuss them. And we expect that you not discuss yours either, cause that would be preaching and we don't take kindly to outsiders preaching." GMAFB. I'll fricken talk about what the hell I want to talk about.

So yes, if you see a lot of people from Texas, from either side of the aisle, on these boards discussing politics, it's because, from what I've observed, they feel absolutely free to give their opinions, discuss politics, have debates and don't give a rat's ass if someone doesn't like it, they have that right and they are going to exercise that right.

If Texas wasn't so damn hot and the ocean at Galveston was cleaner, I'd stay in Texas. It's a damn fine state.

Ok, I think I see what you are saying about politics being more openly discussed there. That would fit the regional personality. I think it is great to discuss things. We really need to discuss and compromise.

The Tea Party faction seems like they are all about winning everything on their terms and screw the rest. Not so much the posters here, but the TP congressmen just don't seem to give damn about anything except pushing their own ideology and trashing the president, IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-08-2012, 03:14 PM
 
Location: Gulf Coast Texas
28,506 posts, read 15,462,232 times
Reputation: 11420
Texans are proud of Texas in general.

The majority is conservative - and I think that's why we remain as popluar as we are - because the state is generally run conservatively.

Liberals love to bash people and call names - Perry is a nimrod, DeLay is evil, the Tea Party are racists. In the end - all of the name calling is counter-productive, and you still have to be an adult and handle your business.

Perry is not stupid. You can't be stupid and stay in the governor's position as long as he has. You have to have some substance. He did not do well campaigning for president. He wasn't ready. I think he listen to people instead of himself. I like Perry - but I agree that what he showed, he, at least for now, was not ready for the next level.

But as far as where the state is, especially in comparison to other states, I have no complaints and there is nowhere else I'd want to be right now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:47 PM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top