Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2012, 10:21 AM

5,960 posts, read 5,544,156 times

Advertisements

I don't know whether she is making good points about the effect of social injustice on her community or if she is out to lunch.

But I'd love to know whether a consensus of individuals feel the same way as her or if her opinion about how her community is treated is mostly unique.

(Be sure to watch the WHOLE video for a fair observation about what she is saying):

Note: I DIDN"T title the video!!

Going Ghetto At The Gas Station - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2012, 10:43 AM

9,949 posts, read 8,848,638 times
She's clearly dealing with the aftermath of being owned as a slave.

Old 04-07-2012, 10:45 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,556,847 times
Gosh, so surprising to see the OP race-baiting!

Why is this post in P&OC?

Old 04-07-2012, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post

Please explain why this is "race-baiting"?

If I post a video of an African-American giving a graduation speech at Harvard would you be offended?

Old 04-07-2012, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post

In a politics and controversies forum why are there certain subjects that are too taboo to discuss?

I really would like to read your reply (if you dare).

That video represents reality as it is not as how you wish it were.

Talk about it and stop pretending that by censoring people reality will go away.

Old 04-07-2012, 10:52 AM

2,312 posts, read 3,663,793 times
She looks too much like the lady who claims she won the lottery in MD

So I'll pass......

Old 04-07-2012, 10:54 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,556,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clb10 View Post
Please explain why this is "race-baiting"?

If I post a video of an African-American giving a graduation speech at Harvard would you be offended?
Quote:
Originally Posted by clb10 View Post
In a politics and controversies forum why are there certain subjects that are too taboo to discuss?

I really would like to read your reply (if you dare).

That video represents reality as it is not as how you wish it were.

Talk about it and stop pretending that by censoring people reality will go away.
If I dare?

And what reality are we talking about here? Your reality? For someone who posts hundereds of posts that are derogatory to others of darker complexion you have set a precedent for your views. History tells me that intelligent discussion on race is not possible, nor is it desirable, with certain posters.

Old 04-07-2012, 10:54 AM

16,214 posts, read 11,325,556 times
I grew up in in a rural area of the Northeast, where African-Americans were rare, but not unknown. During my undergraduate years (Penn State '71) the University was about 2% black ... it was under pressure to increase that figure, and in doing so, brought in some people (a minority of even the "recruits") who were neither qualified nor responsible, with negative consequences for the entire communty.

Once I left, like many graduates, I moved to a more cosmopolitan area, and the natural flow of human commerce also brought a more diverse influx into the communities where I grew up. That's exactly how it was supposed to work.

Over the past six years, economic circumstances have impelled me to divide my days about equally between the "old neighborhood" and medium-sized, but diverse urban areas. The people with whom I work daily (in a fast-pace environment) represent a reasonable cross-section of American society. And most of the Afro-Americans within that group are well aware of the divide between "ghetto" and better-assimilated subcultures.

A lot of the people from the aforementioned group don't last too long, but a few keep trying, and my hat is off to them. But in the end, the demands of an open economy are going to force people to either learn more about how the real ecomony works (And no, Mr. Sharpton, the wealth isn't hoarded by conservatives at some country club) or stay on the bottom rung.

Old 04-07-2012, 10:57 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
We're supposed to wast 6 minutes of our lives watching this video? Why don't you just tell us what you want to tell us, OP?

Old 04-07-2012, 10:57 AM

4,739 posts, read 10,434,489 times
Marion Barry agrees with her...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies