Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2012, 10:42 AM

1,438 posts, read 1,145,590 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1945 View Post
But seriously, can you or anyone else prove that god - any god - DOES exist?
No I cant prove it. That is where faith comes in. I have faith that there is a God. What do you as an atheist have faith in? The lack of a God? Do you have faith in anything positive? (I'm not being rude, I have genuinely wondered this for a longtime.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2012, 10:45 AM

1,438 posts, read 1,145,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
You are making the positive assertion that something exists.
Therefore it is incumbent upon you to prove that assertion.

Does the tooth fairy exist? After all, you can't prove that it doesn't.

Your homeschooling is lacking.
You are making the positive assertion that something doesn't exist. Where's your proof? I have none, but I do have faith which you are obviously lacking.

Old 04-09-2012, 01:12 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,686,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personwhoisaperson View Post
No I cant prove it. That is where faith comes in. I have faith that there is a God. What do you as an atheist have faith in? The lack of a God? Do you have faith in anything positive? (I'm not being rude, I have genuinely wondered this for a longtime.)
I know it wasn't directed at me, but I have faith in the ability of humans to be good to one another.

Old 04-09-2012, 02:45 PM

6,993 posts, read 6,334,920 times
Quote:
As an atheist I am without a belief in any god.
Quote:
atheist: from Fr. athéiste (16c.), from Gk. atheos "without god, denying the gods; abandoned of the gods; godless, ungodly," from a- "without" + theos "a god"
I believe that I am responsible and answerable for my actions while I exist in this world. I don't need the carrot of heaven or the threat of hell to be a 'good' person.

Old 04-09-2012, 02:51 PM

4,042 posts, read 3,527,574 times
Quote:

Thanks for bringing the great news!

Separation of church and state does not apply to the students. It only applies to the teachers. NO STUDENT loses their right to free speech at school, nor do we parents or other taxpayers.

Old 04-09-2012, 04:17 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,473,557 times
Quote:
Freedom is my favorite part of America. Separation of church and state infringes on that freedom, that's why I don't like it.
Can you specify how it does this?

Old 04-09-2012, 10:04 PM

17,468 posts, read 12,930,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
What?
I believe in no gods, none of them.
Religious whackos want the god junk written on everything.
And if you listen to the R platforms, it's all about money; them keeping it away from others.
How about not wanting people to get it for free, nothings free haven't you heard.........working for a living unless your disabled or a senior citizen is a good thing!!!
I say it's the L that's all about the money.............

Old 04-09-2012, 10:05 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,029,506 times
Quote:

To the people who spout the separation of church and state crap, do you think this is a problem?
Won't be getting a fight from me.

Old 04-09-2012, 10:50 PM

30,311 posts, read 51,912,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
Can you specify how it does this?
No, they cannot... because NO freedoms are being taken away, as you can still pray to baby Jesus all you want & wherever you want. How could that possibly be defined as suppression of their religious freedom? Oh, I guess they think if everyone else isn't being forced to pray to their G-d, it's somehow impeding upon their right to dominate & convert the entire country? Mmmkay.

Old 04-09-2012, 10:57 PM

30,311 posts, read 51,912,730 times
Quote:
Why does somebody have to have a "faith" in anything?? I'm really more of an Atheist in my actual beliefs, although I do practice Judaism culturally... and I don't need to believe in any sky-being, as I trust most humans to be good for the sake of being good. Even within the Jewish religious faith we don't use scare tactics, as we have no "heaven & hell," and yet we're still pretty good people overall. Right? Here are some positive things Atheists (or secular Jews like myself) can believe in:

- Humans showing compassion for others without the threat of eternal damnation.
- Nature in all its beauty and splendor, which Atheists don't think is reliant upon G-d to create.
- The innocence and kindness of a young child, who hasn't had a chance to believe or disbelieve in anything yet.
- The fact that good things usually happen to good people... karma, as some people like to call it.
- The love of friends, family, and other human beings on this earth.

Is that enough, or should I continue??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies