Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2012, 06:42 PM

478 posts, read 784,553 times

Advertisements

What the hell ... another thread turned racist.

I don't care what color your skin is, respect me and I respect you. I will offer the respect first if I can.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2012, 06:44 PM

30,311 posts, read 51,921,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider275452 View Post
So, do you have an answer for the bar owner, other than to keep blacks out? If I owned a bar, I would make it a club, so I can pick and choose the membership.
Sorry to break the news to you, but even country clubs can no longer discriminate against anyone based on a protected class (race, religion, orientation, etc). They might try, and occasionally get away with it, but it's still a violation of the laws in this country.

Old 04-08-2012, 06:47 PM

1,182 posts, read 1,139,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OregonYeti View Post
What the hell ... another thread turned racist.

I don't care what color your skin is, respect me and I respect you. I will offer the respect first if I can.
People shouldn't be racist. And, if a black guy wants to go in to a honky tonk and hang around a bunch of toothless white guys and fat white gals and listen to Toby Keith songs, he ought to be allowed to do so.

Old 04-08-2012, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Not sure how you conclude what is alleged to have happened did.

When the video starts the conversation has already deteriorated into an argument in which the white doorman is refusing to allow a black guy entrance for whatever reason and one or more individuals in the crowd are throwing the race card around. The bouncer claimed race had nothing to do with it and that a black guty was sitting at the bar as they were speaking.

Is the bouncer guilty because he's white?

Is the the black guy refused entry simply because he's black?

Maybe the white couples were allowed in because they were both males and females and the owner didn't want a sausage fest.

Lots of clubs will make males who show up without a date wait outside in the cold because too many males are already inside.
I was speaking generally, not about this specific incident... so I wasn't really "concluding" anything about these people in particular.

Old 04-08-2012, 06:49 PM

What's honky-tonk? I've seen it in movies. And this reminds me, racism goes both ways. I'm a white guy who grew up in India. They know how to get along there, different religions, cultures, languages. Why do some people here really suck?

Old 04-08-2012, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumarkutar View Post
Wow.. Why so defensive? If a black man owns a bar in Harlem and doesnt want me as a white man in there..I may think he's ignorant and not agree with him but AS LONG AS IT IS HIS BAR AND DOESNT TAKE SUBSIDIES FROm THE GOVT I will respect his wishes. It is private, he floated the money for the place, he takes the risk..he has the right to have whoever he wants in there. See I respect the Constitution more than anything. I'm sorry that you want everyone to conform to you and what makes you feel good inside!
This is a legal & federal issue, not just the personal opinion of that one poster... read the laws against discrimination, please.

Old 04-08-2012, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OregonYeti View Post
What's honky-tonk? I've seen it in movies. And this reminds me, racism goes both ways. I'm a white guy who grew up in India. They know how to get along there, different religions, cultures, languages. Why do some people here really suck?
I'm not sure if India is the best example, since they've been practicing class discrimination for centuries... but yeah, we do kinda suck when it comes to racial equality and tolerance. Sad.

Old 04-08-2012, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
I'm not sure if India is the best example, since they've been practicing class discrimination for centuries... but yeah, we do kinda suck when it comes to racial equality and tolerance. Sad.
India has its own caste system, yeah. Unfortunately even though it's illegal, it persists. But people of different religions can talk philosophy without getting into an argument--they want to learn from each other. They don't have it all figured out, but on the other hand, they do have a lot of it worked out.

Old 04-08-2012, 07:02 PM

Anybody who is respectful of me, I will give respect in return.

Old 04-08-2012, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumarkutar View Post
I applaud you sir. I think most liberals are hypocrites with the whole race and "diversity" card. Most probably feel as you do about being unsafe in all black bars/ neighborhoods, yet few would admit it. I respect your honesty!
You're applauding racial intolerance? That's weird! I'm a white liberal myself, and have lived in two mostly-black neighborhoods... I also have a black boyfriend currently (not my first), and have been to a couple of "black bars" in the past. We're not all uncomfortable with racial diversity, and admitting you are isn't something to be celebrated IMO. Honesty is good, yes, but please don't use this one person's issues to assume anything about the rest of us!

P.S. I never faced any problems in my old neighborhoods or in those bars, maybe because I don't walk around looking like a frightened white person? If you show respect you get respect, for the most part.

Last edited by gizmo980; 04-08-2012 at 07:13 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies