U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2012, 02:18 PM

11,449 posts, read 14,291,114 times

Advertisements

Too many Americans are slugging it out with each other in the Left vs Right fog as the military-industrial complex thrives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2012, 03:18 PM

3,568 posts, read 3,273,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaseMan View Post
The current GOP is the party of freedom for corporations and the very wealthy.
I happen to be a one-tenth owner of a ten-person corporation that employs about 40 people. The corporation has been in existence for over 20 years. In that time the fortunes of the corportion have been unaffected by the party in power--whether Democrat or Republican. Neither party has advanced any position that has helped us. We've made our own way. Most people in this country work for small business and many of these businesses are incorporated. So when you smear "corporation[s]" you are smearing the employers of the vast majority of Americans. That's just ignorant.

Old 04-08-2012, 08:14 PM

14,379 posts, read 7,942,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
One thing for sure is that conservatives are certainly bitterly opposed to legalizing marijuana. About as many of them think it would be absolutely outrageous just to legalize medical marijuana. The sad problem is that conservatives are severely addicted to Reefer Madness. They should enlighten themselves to the truth.
I'm an independant conservative who believes that all drugs should be legalized and the war on drugs turned into the program to stop addiction. Better to treat addicts than to arrest and imprison them. Tax all drugs like cigarettes and watch the gang crime and mexican mafia come to a screaching halt. Watch the private prison corporations go bankrupt. I'd absolutely love to see that happen.

Old 04-08-2012, 08:19 PM

14,379 posts, read 7,942,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TempesT68 View Post
As in corporatist fascists yes, the GOP is completely owned by them and many on the left have sold out as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
dont worry, the democrat party is the same way as the gop.
At least one of you "get's it"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
Too many Americans are slugging it out with each other in the Left vs Right fog as the military-industrial complex thrives.
Ike warned us about it, Kennedy was murdered by it, and still people believe we are free to vote in the best man for the job. The problem is that both sides are shills, so we just vote like lemmings for whoever is placed in front of us. People should wake up, vote for the least likely candidate en'mass, regardless of party affiliation, and that would send a message to the elites that have us all wired. Ron Paul comes to mind.

Old 04-09-2012, 12:26 AM

2,008 posts, read 2,974,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
We are also one of the most populated countries in the world, I expect. And if you are in China, I would expect criminals are simply executed. That keeps the prison population down. Same with Muslim countries. They don't keep criminals around.

So, here is the real point of your post: Legalize drugs. That's great.
I could believe that countries like the ones you mention do execute more people than we do, but at the same rate as our incarceration? enough to account for a quarter of the worlds prison population? Besides, we are nowhere near a quarter of the worlds population.

I did also say that there are other laws. Like getting a concealed weapons charge for having a pocket-knife, or getting a sexual offence charge for mooning someone.

Quote:
I have never heard either Hannity or Limbaugh say anything close to that. Can you provide some facts? Quotes (in context). Oh, and I'm sure you have them handy, because you listen to both Hannity and Rush every day, right?

Really? Just turn criminals loose? That has been done. And lives have been lost when killers have been turned loose. Usually the victims are young women, brutally raped and then murdered.

Now, who is waging a "war on women"?
There's no need to go to overreact, I never said that all the criminals need to be turned loose. Just that there are too many things that define unnecessarily someone as a criminal.

I can look to see what I can find, but I remember Rush saying something almost verbatim to "drug abusers need to be sent down the river" in reference to simply removing drug abusers from society. It was such a big deal and got so much attention at the time because it was shortly after that he had to come out for having a prescription pill addiction.

Old 04-09-2012, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
Your whole premise is so far off the mark it is laughable.

People have a "free" will. If THEY choose to break a law they do it voluntarily. THEY know the consequences. if you break the law and get caught, YOU pay the penalty.

I know that is a simple concept apparently YOU can't grasp.

To many on the left don't believe in believe in punishing the lawbreakers. They blame "society" and all sorts of other alibis.

Our criminal justice system is joke. Too much plea bargaining etc.

There is not enough deterrent.

Today if you get 10 years, you get 1 day off for each day of good behavior. Ridiculous.

Jails have too much "comfy" things, like cable TV, weight rooms. Some jails law library's are better equipped then some law firms.

our "penal" system no longer penalizes enough.

If jail was a stronger deterrent maybe people would be less likely to try to avoid going there.

How many criminals get the death penalty? how long are they there before they actually get executed?

If we carried out the dealth penalty more it COULD become the deterent it is supposed to be.
Overreact much?

When one out of 10 people in a society are criminals for exercising their free will there's nothing free about it - that's almost a witch hunt. If this is a problem with individuals and free will, then why is it that America has such a high population of said individuals? How much more prison population do we need? We're at a quarter of the worlds population, do we need to get 50 or 60 percent of the world's prison population before our legal system "works"? the only countries that execute more people that the US are China, Iran, Iraq and Saudi Arabia. Do we need to act like these countries for our legal system to "work"?

Old 04-09-2012, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
The design of our political system is supposed to counter balance ideologies. The majority of conservatives are defenders of freedom and the constitution, which if you haven't noticed, has been on the democrats hit list for the last few years. Both parties have been betrayed by their core managers, becoming something to generate a false sense that their original intentions still exist... they do not.

Obama isn't the guy the left was hoping for, though they all put on their stage makeup and act like he is. Bush wasn't the conservative guy we thought he'd be. You could make a strong case that there's really just a single party that acts like it is two. The only way to make this scam work is to keep the country divided and at odds with each other. The end game for both parties seems to be on the same course, and that's suppression and loss of individual freedom.
I think you're really onto something with the last paragraph there. The easiest way to conquer is to divide first.

Old 04-09-2012, 02:18 AM

4,260 posts, read 2,969,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
You have described Obama, his followers, and the turmoil to come perfectly.

EXactly what I was thinking.

Old 04-09-2012, 02:19 AM

4,260 posts, read 2,969,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LondonAreaWeatherSummary View Post
This. The truth is most people dont want 'freedom', or at least are afraid of it.

Most people cant handle the responsability that goes with it.

Old 04-09-2012, 05:04 AM

7,215 posts, read 7,891,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMe View Post
I happen to be a one-tenth owner of a ten-person corporation that employs about 40 people. The corporation has been in existence for over 20 years. In that time the fortunes of the corportion have been unaffected by the party in power--whether Democrat or Republican. Neither party has advanced any position that has helped us. We've made our own way. Most people in this country work for small business and many of these businesses are incorporated. So when you smear "corporation[s]" you are smearing the employers of the vast majority of Americans. That's just ignorant.
I am part of an LLC, so I know what you are talking about. That said, your corporation isn't the type that is going to be paying lobbyists to craft legislation for their congressional underlings.

I don't think either party is doing much to help small business these days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies