Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2012, 07:30 AM

5,450 posts, read 8,761,760 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Yea but dispenser with crap all over it looks bad, those things never stay clean.
Oh yes. They look awful but you're washing any germs you pick up from them off after you may touch them.
With my kids being athletes I have to clean my dispensers constantly just because they look bad and I like a clean house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2012, 07:30 AM

7,214 posts, read 9,393,969 times
What's with all the posts on this forum that begin with "It's Official"?

Honestly, stories about this topic have been around for years.

Old 04-08-2012, 07:33 AM

14,810 posts, read 16,206,409 times
What's the old saying......."every kid must get his peck of dirt"???

I'm not a big fan of what I believe to be unnecessary immunizations, either.

Old 04-08-2012, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunucu Beach View Post
What's the old saying......."every kid must get his peck of dirt"???

I'm not a big fan of what I believe to be unnecessary immunizations, either.
Me either. I'm on the fence for any immunization from any disease that cannot kill or make you sick for life (ill, handicapped).

Old 04-08-2012, 07:48 AM

3,078 posts, read 4,375,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaseMan View Post
What's with all the posts on this forum that begin with "It's Official"?

Honestly, stories about this topic have been around for years.
Actually the first article I saw on the internet that reported the Brigham and Women's results had "It's Official" in the title. The only reason I didn't post that link was because of an obnoxious pop-up advertisement.

And yes, stories about this have been around for decades, but the researchers isolated the cell mechanism by which it happens. So now the "hygiene hypothesis" has more than just anecdotal or statistical basis.

And just to be clear, I am not for abandoning strict hygienic practices in hospitals or places where people have compromised immune systems.

Old 04-08-2012, 07:51 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseyt719 View Post
Me either. I'm on the fence for any immunization from any disease that cannot kill or make you sick for life (ill, handicapped).
Which ones would those be?

Old 04-08-2012, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Which ones would those be?
For one, chicken pox.

Old 04-08-2012, 08:04 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,742,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
What disturbs me most are the number of people (men in my case) who walk out of the bathroom without washing their hands. It happens ALL the time. By my guesstimation and random observation, i'd say 3 out of 10 men.

After I wash my hands, I use the paper towel to touch the door handle. If there's no trash can nearby the door, the paper towel goes on the floor. Not my problem. I'm not touching other people's parts. Those are not germs that children should be exposed to. Otherwise, i'm all for letting Little Jimmy get dirty.
While the thought of it is disgusting, negative consequences of it are probably non-existent.

There have been studies where they analyzed common objects and they found that there are traces of feces almost everywhere, on sofas, chairs, carpets, all over the interior of trains, ...

What has always struck me is the exaggerated fight against bacteria in some countries. All those hand wash products and mouthwash killing 99.9% of bacteria, the heavy use of bleach, the common usage of antibiotics, etc.

In hospitals they are increasingly confronted with very resistant bacteria as well which some say is the result of our fight against bacteria.
The logic goes something like: while we may be able to kill 99% of bacteria, we can't kill 100%. So the one percent that survives is more robust and has even more space to spread as the 99% are gone. This way you get ever more stubborn bacteria.

Old 04-08-2012, 08:05 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseyt719 View Post
For one, chicken pox.
You can die or be permanently disfigured from chicken pox.
Not to mention the fun of shingles later in life. Which can turn into permanent neuralgia problems.

http://yourlife.usatoday.com/health/...ren/49642072/1

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/pos...ralgia/DS00277

Old 04-08-2012, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
You can die or be permanently disfigured from chicken pox.
Not to mention the fun of shingles later in life. Which can turn into permanent neuralgia problems.

- USATODAY.com

Postherpetic neuralgia - MayoClinic.com
Oh yeah. I'm disfigured by a pock mark scar. I have never heard of anyone when I was a kid and we didn't have the vaccine, die from it.
There are viruses that WERE epidemic and deadly and no longer are in America.
Measles, mumps, and rubella are among them.
No worse than getting a really bad cold in terms of lasting effects.
Sorry, but this germophobia is just too much in this country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies