U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2012, 10:28 AM

28,103 posts, read 15,254,950 times

Advertisements

Some of you may remember when a lady from Texas said her husband had been out of work for three years - and Obama took his resume' to try and get him a job. That was a couple of months ago. The C-D thread is here.

Out of work? Send your resume to Obama, he said he'll review it!!

Now this guy still doesn't have a job after all of the attention. He is limited to work in north Texas, which limited his options.

Texas engineer, whose wife sent Obama his résumé, still unemployed

More than two months after President Barack Obama asked for Darin Wedel's résumé, the phone is quiet, e-mails are no longer flooding in and the long-sought-after job interviews -- which had begun to be scheduled -- have petered out.

The problem I have is that Obama's people did not deal with the woman's REAL issue...

She asked the president why the government issues and extends H-1B visas to foreign workers when highly skilled Americans like her husband can't find full-time work.

She didn't ask for direct employment help - she asked about policy.

Obama's answer at the time...

Obama, who said industry leaders have told him that the U.S. doesn't have enough high-tech engineers to meet its needs, ended up asking for Darin Wedel's résumé.

...which I don't believe with the increased unemployment and underemployment.

So they get their hopes up and nothing happens on the employment front and the policy front.

Sen. Grassley attempted to pass a bill reforming the visa program based on the woman's complaint - but no dice.

-----------------------------
Sen. Grassley Tells Pres. Obama That High-Skilled Workers are Struggling to Find Work

I was surprised to learn that you responded to Ms. Wedel by saying “industry tells me that they don’t have enough highly skilled engineers.” You also said that “the word we’re getting is that somebody in that kind of high-tech field, that kind of engineer, should be able to find something right away.” You said there’s a huge demand for engineers across the country, with which Ms. Wedel seemed to take issue. Data from the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) would also suggest otherwise. According to the BLS, the unemployment rate for electrical engineers rose 3.7% from 2006 to 2010.

Your response to Ms. Wedel leads me to believe that you don’t understand the plight of many unemployed high-skill Americans. Mr. Wedel’s situation is all too common. Thousands of qualified Americans remain out of work while companies are incentivized to import foreign workers. I’m concerned that you’re hearing only one side of the story -- from businesses who claim that there are better and brighter people abroad.

Despite your online chat and interest in investigating the problem, just last week, your administration proposed rules to “attract and retain highly skilled immigrants.” The Department of Homeland Security will expand the eligibility for foreign students to stay in the U.S. under the Optional Practical Training program.
------------------------

Why not temporarily alter the program to make employers consider American's first?

Instead of honestly tackling the problem which involves all high-tech unemployed Americans, he attempts to buy her off with a job for her husband. If he had pulled it off and got him a job, she's happy, Obama is a savior, but the rest of Americans that fall into this category have no hope or change.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2012, 10:30 AM

19,390 posts, read 17,622,116 times
Since he has refused to move, then that is more his problem than anyone elses.

Old 04-09-2012, 10:33 AM

8,287 posts, read 11,787,509 times
Why don't you ask "Corporate" America why they won't hire this "skilled" American worker instead? Oh wait! "Engineers" from India are much cheaper!

Old 04-09-2012, 10:37 AM

23,851 posts, read 19,763,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
I'd bet you my next paycheck this man hasn't explored every option. I'd bet you a million dollars that he hasn't sought jobs in other cities or other states. I'd bet you he hasn't even engaged the idea of moving where the opportunity is. I'd bet you he's holed up in his own little world hoping that the job 3 minutes down street calls him.

Mobility is the key to success in this economy. Until EVERY option has been exhausted, he hasn't performed his due diligence in finding a job.
AeroGuyDC was right, yet again.

Old 04-09-2012, 10:39 AM

31,777 posts, read 24,783,968 times
Quote:
And as this AeroGuyDC will tell you... there are plenty of jobs out there. People are unemployed, can't find jobs because... they are too lazy to look for it.

Old 04-09-2012, 10:45 AM

5,527 posts, read 8,943,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
And as this AeroGuyDC will tell you... there are plenty of jobs out there. People are unemployed, can't find jobs because... they are too lazy to look for it.
tluv00 is not trying to speak for AeroDCGuy but tluv00 believes his point is that until the guy has actually exhausted all efforts then he hasn't truly tried to do everything to find a job.

If tluv00 is starving and a restaurant is closed tluv00 is not going to stand in front of the restaurant waiting for it to open for hours. tluv00 is going to find another restaurant. If his skills are that truly sought after then he should be shopping himself around. tluv00 has friends who where out of work with very specialized skill sets. Some of them commute and stay in a hotel M-F and then come home on the weekends and some are back every other weekend. It sucks but it's better than nothing.

Old 04-09-2012, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
Since he has refused to move, then that is more his problem than anyone elses.
Right - I noted that he limited himself in that manner.

Old 04-09-2012, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
Why don't you ask "Corporate" America why they won't hire this "skilled" American worker instead? Oh wait! "Engineers" from India are much cheaper!
That's the point the woman was making - Obama's policies are facilitating the advantage of hiring the foreign born person.

The way things are now, it would probably be considered discrimination and subject to a lawsuit if an American worker was hired in lieu of a foreign born worker.

Old 04-09-2012, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Did you just go third person on us??

Old 04-09-2012, 12:34 PM

5,527 posts, read 8,943,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
That's the point the woman was making - Obama's policies are facilitating the advantage of hiring the foreign born person.

The way things are now, it would probably be considered discrimination and subject to a lawsuit if an American worker was hired in lieu of a foreign born worker.
There are tax credits that companies receive for hiring people who are out of work. WOTC credits can be worth a decent amount of money back in a companies pockets but most companies fail to actually do the paperwork to get the credits.

I know relocating for a job isn't the easiest thing to do but again until someone exhausts all if not most options I hate to hear them say "there are no jobs". There are jobs. Just not ones they want to do in a lot of cases. I understand but if you need to eat you need to eat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies