U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2012, 12:25 PM

1,759 posts, read 1,754,610 times

Advertisements

A thousand children in this study, such a small segment of the population. But it makes one wonder.

Quote:
The study of more than 1,000 children in California found the risk of autism and other developmental delays was 60 percent higher among those born to mothers who were obese, hypertensive or diabetic.

"The prevalence of obesity and diabetes among U.S. women of childbearing age is 34 percent and 8.7 percent, respectively," the study authors wrote in their report published today in the journal Pediatrics.
"Our findings raise concerns that these maternal conditions may be associated with neurodevelopmental problems in children and therefore could have serious public health implications."

The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention in Atlanta estimates one in 88 children has an autism spectrum disorder, up from one in 110 in 2006. Obesity is also on the rise, affecting more than one-third of U.S. adults.

Autism Linked to Maternal Obesity, Diabetes - ABC News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2012, 12:28 PM

9,605 posts, read 14,658,853 times
Where did these women live? Obese people tend to be poor. Did these women live in industrial areas? Do they receive substandard health care?

So many questions to be asked.

Old 04-09-2012, 12:51 PM

30,693 posts, read 33,456,199 times
Including how and if these women were TREATED for these conditions...

Old 04-09-2012, 12:54 PM

4,284 posts, read 3,732,047 times
I think they are fetching at straws when it comes to autism. My wife and I were both in the military (and both still in very good shape). She was pregnant with our son who has autism (mild, non-Asperbergers). She wasn't anywhere near obese, even during her pregnancy.

Old 04-09-2012, 01:08 PM

2,926 posts, read 5,310,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldawg82 View Post
I think they are fetching at straws when it comes to autism. My wife and I were both in the military (and both still in very good shape). She was pregnant with our son who has autism (mild, non-Asperbergers). She wasn't anywhere near obese, even during her pregnancy.
Do you understand statistics? Just because obesity increases the likely hood it doesn't mean every non-obese mother will not have a autistic kid.

Old 04-09-2012, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majin View Post
Do you understand statistics? Just because obesity increases the likely hood it doesn't mean every non-obese mother will not have a autistic kid.
I understand statistics. I understand you can put a number on anything and it's just as meaningless. For the percentage that obesity may be a cause for autism, you can also find just about anything under the damned sun that will be just as probable (statistically speaking). Again, they don't know anything about it's cause and they are just grasping for anything they think might-maybe-could-be.

Old 04-09-2012, 01:23 PM

2,926 posts, read 5,310,345 times
Quote:
I understand statistics.
Did why did you state this?

Quote:
My wife and I were both in the military (and both still in very good shape). She was pregnant with our son who has autism (mild, non-Asperbergers). She wasn't anywhere near obese, even during her pregnancy.
Your story is irrelevant in relation to this study. It doesn't prove or disprove anything.

Old 04-09-2012, 01:30 PM

I stated it as it relates to my experience and of those of us (in the military) who have autistic children. It is obviously not an all encompassing experience, but it holds more meaning & validity than that meaningless statistic, that is (ironically) statistically irrelevant.

Old 04-09-2012, 01:33 PM

71,937 posts, read 83,597,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alltheusernamesaretaken View Post
A thousand children in this study, such a small segment of the population. But it makes one wonder.

Autism Linked to Maternal Obesity, Diabetes - ABC News
we can find a study that will connect anything with anything if we try hard enough.

Old 04-09-2012, 01:34 PM

29,988 posts, read 37,200,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majin View Post
Did why did you state this?

Your story is irrelevant in relation to this study. It doesn't prove or disprove anything.
Nor does the study prove anything with such a small sample size. Did they prove correlation = causation in this study?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies