U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2012, 02:35 PM

256 posts, read 172,704 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Last year, Citizens for Tax Justice found that 30 major corporations had made billions of dollars in profits while paying no federal income tax between 2008 and 2010. Today, CTJ updated that report to reflect the 2011 tax bill of those 30 companies, and 26 of them have still managed to pay absolutely nothing over that four year period:

26 of the 30 companies continued to enjoy negative federal income tax rates. That means they still made more money after tax than before tax over the four years!

Of the remaining four companies, three paid four year effective tax rates of less than 4 percent
(specifically, 0.2%, 2.0% and 3.8%). One company paid a 2008-11 tax rate of 10.9 percent.

In total, 2008-11 federal income taxes for the 30 companies remained negative, despite $205 billion in pretax U.S. profits. Overall, they enjoyed an average effective federal income tax rate of 3.1 percent over the four years.
26 Major Corporations Paid No Taxes For The Last Four Years

Clearly, what these companies need are more tax breaks. Folks, that ain't prosperity you feel trickling down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2012, 02:38 PM

25,060 posts, read 23,035,197 times
I'd rather if there was 0% income tax for everyone, not just the presidents' buddies. By the way, Spartanguy, what about GE? Their ex-CEO is in Obama's Cabinet, and GE is one of those 30 corporations that paid $0 in corporate taxes

Old 04-09-2012, 02:39 PM

1,460 posts, read 1,663,608 times
Am I the only one that sees the hypocritical crap in GE not paying corporate taxes

Old 04-09-2012, 02:40 PM

6,936 posts, read 7,224,240 times
Quote:
Corporate taxes in the U.S., contrary to the constant protestations of conservatives, are at a 40 year low, with many of the most profitable companies paying nothing at all.
Keeping it real.

Old 04-09-2012, 02:41 PM

25,060 posts, read 23,035,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnPaul View Post
Am I the only one that sees the hypocritical crap in GE not paying taxes
No. I think GE is paying their fair share. They obviously use their extra money for good, since Obama is tight with them and Obama is a prophet of Al Gore's Church of MMGW. They mean no harm to anyone

Old 04-09-2012, 02:41 PM

4,260 posts, read 2,960,696 times
Keeping it real, then a link to think progress. Thats like saying " hot babes" and ya open the page and see Rosey Odonnell.

Old 04-09-2012, 02:50 PM
Status: "Nevertheless, America's baseball team -- Roar, Tigers, ROAR!" (set 13 days ago)

12,273 posts, read 7,421,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnPaul View Post
Am I the only one that sees the hypocritical crap in GE not paying corporate taxes
Anyone who's seen their ads on the Sunday morning "mainstream" public-affairs coverage, or watched a little MSNBC (if you can control your stomach) knows that GE is no bastion of simple conservatism -- it knows which way the winds of poliics are blowing (perhaps by the stink? ) and takes full advantage of them.

GE, at least in some form, will likely be here a century from now (And at some point in that evolution, it likely will pick up a larger tax bill). The man or woman trying to run a small enterprise, and probably nuture another generation, will not.

I know which of the two gets greater smpathy from me. But it is the complete parasite (not so much the habitual client of the entitlement culture, but the (non-)manager who apparently doesn't understand that the handut machine can't be expanded indefitely, for whom my greatest scorn is reserved.

Old 04-09-2012, 02:53 PM

14,298 posts, read 8,058,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartanguy View Post
26 Major Corporations Paid No Taxes For The Last Four Years

Clearly, what these companies need are more tax breaks. Folks, that ain't prosperity you feel trickling down.
How many were the hated oil, coal, or corporate jet manufacturing companies, and how many were Obama cronies?

Old 04-09-2012, 02:54 PM

29,512 posts, read 16,270,693 times
No concern about the ginormous pile of tax revenue the fedguv took in and squandered, misappropriated, redistributed, spent on bombs/destruction?

Old 04-09-2012, 02:56 PM

17,439 posts, read 19,654,160 times
Great... a liberal website providing misleading information... and the liberals eat it up... why do they pay zero taxes? Is it because they are a multinational corporation who earn profits overseas? Is it because they get government "credits" that Obama and democrats approved to offset their taxes? Let me get this straight, the liberals don't explain why and try to mislead you into thinking that corporate taxes are low when in fact, they are not... that some companies have loopholes to get through it courtesy of the democrats and they blame the GOP... that these huge companies can do it, so it must be true of all business... well... I am starting to think there are no smart liberals because they can't think for a second and ask "how"...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies