Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2012, 09:06 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,800,800 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmsterp View Post
???

Here was the gas price on the first day of Bush's term (I couldn't find a first-hand source so I went with the Center for American Progress. I figured they weren't exactly going to embellish that number to be higher than actuality!)
A Better Solution for Gas Prices

But they spoke to soon, because...

Gas Price on Bush's last day:
Average gas prices--January 19, 2009

So there was a 28% net increase in price under President Bush's watch, an 8-year term. In just over three years, we've already seen a 104% increase.
What was the average price of gas during Bush's eight years of presidency? LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2012, 09:09 AM

Quote:
???

Here was the gas price on the first day of Bush's term (I couldn't find a first-hand source so I went with the Center for American Progress. I figured they weren't exactly going to embellish that number to be higher than actuality!)
A Better Solution for Gas Prices

But they spoke to soon, because...

Gas Price on Bush's last day:
Average gas prices--January 19, 2009

So there was a 28% net increase in price under President Bush's watch, an 8-year term. In just over three years, we've already seen a 104% increase.
Gee! What was this about then?

Quote:
"We went into a recession in 2008 because of gasoline prices," Santorum told a packed hotel ballroom of supporters. "The bubble burst in housing because people couldn’t pay their mortgages because of $4 a gallon gasoline," he added.
Santorum: Gas Prices Caused The 2008 Recession

Old 04-10-2012, 09:11 AM

1,347 posts, read 1,088,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
Again, that's what happens when you crash the economy.
NOT a fair trade in my opinion.

Ken
Yes, that was indirectly why. But the real reason is the supply increased relative to the demand. (In fact, supply remained the same but demand decreased due to a poor economy). If Obama were willing to let supply increase relative to demand (increased production, etc) we could have the same effect.

Old 04-10-2012, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Gee! What was this about then?

Santorum: Gas Prices Caused The 2008 Recession
I don't care what Santorum says. I have never been a fan of his and I have called him out on this forum repeatedly for being incompetent and generally having no idea what he's talking about. The fact that he thinks high gas prices caused the recession is more proof that we can't afford to have him in the oval office.

Old 04-10-2012, 09:13 AM

20,460 posts, read 26,319,675 times
Quote:
Yes, that was indirectly why. But the real reason is the supply increased relative to the demand. (In fact, supply remained the same but demand decreased due to a poor economy). If Obama were willing to let supply increase relative to demand (increased production, etc) we could have the same effect.
Supply HAS increased. We're more self-sufficient in oil now than we've been in 20 YEARS!

It didn't stop the price of gas from rising.

Ken

Old 04-10-2012, 09:13 AM

Tthe oil price increase over 2007:H2-2008:H1 was thea key development that turned the slowdown in growth into a recession.

Econbrowser: The oil shock and recession of 2008: Part 2

Old 04-10-2012, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
Supply HAS increased. We're more self-sufficient in oil now than we've been in 20 YEARS!

It didn't stop the price of gas from rising.

Ken
But how much has it increased relative to demand? Honest question, I don't know. But I know demand has rapidly increased. I'm glad there has been a lot of development of private lands for drilling, I hope we can do more of it and do it on public lands as well.

Old 04-10-2012, 09:15 AM

Quote:
He would have to nationalize oil and enforce a moratorium to forbid the oil companies to export oil. Is that what you are fighting for?

Oil boomlet sweeps U.S. as exports and production rise
Quote:
The U.S. exported more oil-based fuels than it imported in the first nine months of this year, making it likely that 2011 will be the first time since 1949 that the nation is a net exporter of such goods, primarily diesel.
Oil boomlet sweeps U.S. as exports rise

Old 04-10-2012, 09:17 AM

Quote:
But how much has it increased relative to demand? Honest question, I don't know. But I know demand has rapidly increased. I'm glad there has been a lot of development of private lands for drilling, I hope we can do more of it and do it on public lands as well.
Why should private companies drill on public land, that belongs to all of us, just to export more for their own profit?

Old 04-10-2012, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Tthe oil price increase over 2007:H2-2008:H1 was thea key development that turned the slowdown in growth into a recession.

Econbrowser: The oil shock and recession of 2008: Part 2
The 15 most persuasive explanations for the economic crisis. - Slate Magazine
Not exactly a conservative source here. But certainly more reliable than whatever blog you found. It mentions many possibilities, some of which I think make sense, some which seem sort of out there. But none of the explanations involve gas prices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies