Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2012, 11:24 AM

29,094 posts, read 26,008,825 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by to570717 View Post
A white person in a black neighborhood would be there to look for drugs, guns or some other illicit thing. Not just taking a stroll.

This does not imply that the neighborhood as a whole is full of these type of people. Many are good, Christian, hard working families. It is just that Whites have the sterotype of black neighborhoods being dangerous. Blacks have the sterotype of a white person either being up to no good, so they are defensive or looking for something they can't get elsewhere, so the dealers come out.....

It is not that complicated.
I understand this. My question was what would they be doing "just being there" if not for looking for drugs or whatever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2012, 11:26 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
That's not true! Dave Chappelle debunked that myth when he showed that all us white folks need is the sound of an electric guitar!
That skit still makes me ROFLMAO.

Old 04-10-2012, 11:27 AM

1,001 posts, read 1,989,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
I understand this. My question to the poster was what would they be doing "just being there" if not for looking for drugs or whatever.
People get lost, people get curious to see the hood.......Then you get some 14 year old dope boy looking to make a name.....he see's a car with two stupid looking white dudes and either messes with them(subcontiously to perpetuate a myth) or if he is demented(whites are worse in my opinion) and will actually hurt them.

Old 04-10-2012, 11:28 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,988,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nighttrain55 View Post
I think what ya'll don't understand is that because of our history, its going to be a bigger deal when blacks are denied rather than when whites are denied. White people are the majority, they have the control, when you are in control you are going to be looked at differently. i'm black and I don't care if every asian, mexican, and whatever racial minortiy doesn't allow me into the establishment. If its a white establishment, I'm not going to like it. Its different, we are not equal in this country. Whites make up over 60% of this country and control most of everything. When you guys are the minority and no longer dominate everything, we won't be having this discussion.

I don't know about you, as a white guy I enjoyed DJing in the black club, that I worked in, simply because I didn't have to implement country music into my mix! That, and the dance floor was a lot more packed.

No offense to those who do like country, (and I'm pretty diverse when it comes to music) but it ain't my cup of tea. Aside from a select few songs.

Old 04-10-2012, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
That skit still makes me ROFLMAO.

I like that one, and "The Mad Real World" on season 1! But it's true. I love that electric guitar! Love drums too. As a DJ you have to know beats too.

Old 04-10-2012, 11:30 AM

10,564 posts, read 12,820,368 times
When I was a hippy kid with long blonde hair and a guitar...my musical friends and I traveled down from Canada...To El Paso...then ended up some how living in Oakland California....working as grave diggers...not what we had planned being wanna be rock stars...We had no idea being dumb Canadians that white people were not even supposed to wander into that part of Oakland let alone live there.

My friend was also a pool hustler...and liked to go into the bars...One night I was sitting at the bar...and an old tough looking black man leaned over and looked me in the eye and said "Are YOU black?".......................I thought about it and remembered my childhood as a persecuted immigrant ....I looked at the old guy and sad............"Yes-- I am black"----------------never had a problem in that hood again....Racism has nothing to do with tone of skin. To this day----On the inside...I am still black..

Old 04-10-2012, 11:33 AM

6,454 posts, read 7,010,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
I understand this. My question was what would they be doing "just being there" if not for looking for drugs or whatever.
In a predominantly bad neighborhood--yes you would stick out as an easy mark. If you're a black person in an unfamiliar bad black neighborhood, you naturally do not stick out as much at first glance. But depending on who's doing the observing, you could still be considered a target. For example, I would not go strolling down a street in Brownsville Brooklyn just "looking around." I even remember when I got off at a train Stop in East NY (same neighborhood in Brooklyn), walked a few blocks to my destination only to notice that quite a few of the kids on the same block were staring at me as I went about my business. Why? Because they knew I wasn't from the area. How did they know that? Because of the way I dressed and carried myself.

Now in predomiantly black middle class neighborhoods, such as the one that I grew up in--no one would look twice at you.

Old 04-10-2012, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
When I was a hippy kid with long blonde hair and a guitar...my musical friends and I traveled down from Canada...To El Paso...then ended up some how living in Oakland California....working as grave diggers...not what we had planned being wanna be rock stars...We had no idea being dumb Canadians that white people were not even supposed to wander into that part of Oakland let alone live there.

My friend was also a pool hustler...and liked to go into the bars...One night I was sitting at the bar...and an old tough looking black man leaned over and looked me in the eye and said "Are YOU black?".......................I thought about it and remembered my childhood as a persecuted immigrant ....I looked at the old guy and sad............"Yes-- I am black"----------------never had a problem in that hood again....Racism has nothing to do with tone of skin. To this day----On the inside...I am still black..

When you get to the nuts and bolts of it, people are people. And if you don't walk in to a place with a chip on your shoulder, or an agenda, you'll be fine. I tend to mesh well with all different walks of life. Really, it's as simple as treating others how you want to be treated. Of course you have to be aware of your surroundings from time to time, and remain vigilante, but that is just common sense IMO. My mother always joked with me and said I could have a conversation with the devil.

Old 04-10-2012, 11:37 AM

1,001 posts, read 1,989,863 times
Quote:
When you get to the nuts and bolts of it, people are people. And if you don't walk in to a place with a chip on your shoulder, or an agenda, you'll be fine. I tend to mesh well with all different walks of life. Really, it's as simple as treating others how you want to be treated. Of course you have to be aware of your surroundings from time to time, and remain vigilante, but that is just common sense IMO. My mother always joked with me and said I could have a conversation with the devil.
I wish i could agree.....A mestizo could not walk into a Country Club and be seen as a member.....he would be seen as a gardener.

Parts of the South still drip with racism and it is not comfortable to walk into a grocery store, 7-11 and forget about a bar.

Old 04-10-2012, 11:37 AM

51 posts, read 52,956 times
Quote:

While I agree with most of your points, could you answer a simple question with every being on intellectual honesty in your body! Would you feel safer walking through an all white neighborhood, or all black neighborhood..just you and your girlfriend? You can't just say remainimng vigilant in certain situations is common sense. That may be true, but there are reasons that you are remaining more vigilant in certain circumstances. What are those reasons, and why are you more defensive in those situations. Until those issues are dealt with nothing will change racially in this nation. Soft feel good euphanisms may make people feel good but are just a bandaid. They dont treat the symptoms!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies