Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2012, 12:16 PM

20,892 posts, read 16,069,526 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SityData View Post
And what is your excuse for Josephus and his writings ??
Why would somebody writing 2000 years ago be any less wrong than somebody writing today?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2012, 12:23 PM

27,541 posts, read 28,625,446 times
Quote:
Columbus sailed for one reason ONLY - it is written in his diary - his purpose was "to preach the Gospel of Jesus Christ!

Newton was perhaps one of the greatest scientists of the time and he was the HEAD professor of the Mathematics dept for 29 years - His love of scripture - and discovering things that no one to date has equaled is never even mentioned.
You fail to mention that Columbus and Newton happened to live at a time when evolution, abiogenesis, the big bang, vacuum fluctuations and other scientific evidences which are devastating to religious assertions were completely unknown.

So, it would have made sense for them to hold many of the prevailing beliefs of the time.

Old 04-30-2012, 12:26 PM

20,892 posts, read 16,069,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
You fail to mention that Columbus and Newton happened to live at a time when evolution, abiogenesis, the big bang, vacuum fluctuations and other scientific evidences which are devastating to religious assertions were completely unknown.
Absolutely correct.

You can't blame for being ignorant of evolution any more than you can blame them for being ignorant of heavier than air flight, nuclear fission, or iPods.

Old 04-30-2012, 12:29 PM

29,094 posts, read 25,994,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Science was the enemy of religious belief all along. The creation story in Genesis has been proven false, the Bible or any other scripture is not the infallible Word of God. .
Explain.

Old 04-30-2012, 01:05 PM

27,541 posts, read 28,625,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Explain.
It would take me a long time to point out all the factual errors even in the 1st chapter of Genesis. I can attempt to do so when I have more time.

Old 04-30-2012, 01:39 PM

1,808 posts, read 4,037,094 times
Quote:
Its a shame that schools refuse to teach the truth to little children who grow up to become the best resource for deception and falsehoods
I have read the above quote multiple times. I am quite sure I have never read anything on City Data so removed from the truth. And after four years that is saying something.
Quote:
... teach the truth ...

truth [trooth] noun, plural truths 1. a verified or indisputable fact, proposition, principle, or the like: mathematical truths.

The first quote could not be further from the, uh, uhm, truth.

Quote:

... the best resource for deception and falsehoods
Neither verified or an indisputable fact. Which, by definition, makes it false.
I am going to bring this up one more time. I am willing to bet you are a 'birther' also. Why, you might ask? Because you continually dismiss logic and reason.

Old 04-30-2012, 03:28 PM

11,449 posts, read 14,460,506 times
Quote:

the simple truth is: YOU CANNOT PROVE HE DOESN'T EXIST !!
I don't have to. You are the one making the claim that Jesus exists, so therefore you are the one who must provide evidence to support that claim, nor the other way around.

On the other hand we have clear evidence of evolution through fossils. Not a book written about fossils, but fossils (IE proof.) You have a book about a God, but that's where it starts and ends. After that you only have your belief in that book, but no proof to back it up.

Quote:
I know Jesus Christ personally for decades - He is real - He makes far more sense than your rambling denials of the simple truth!
I guess it depends on how you define "truth." I define truth as something I can see and something that can be proven. You define truth as something you imagine and then ask others to prove it does not exist.

Old 04-30-2012, 03:29 PM

33,521 posts, read 37,118,345 times
If there were a god, then his perfect creature would not be man, it would be the shark...Sharks have existed since 100 million years before the age of dinosaurs, and have remained basically unchanged, because they are perfectly adapted to their environment... Their only enemy is humans, they cannot get sick, are immune to all disease, even cancer, and are an example of what evolution over a long term can do.

They are absolute, undeniable evidence for evolution.

Old 04-30-2012, 03:38 PM

4,320 posts, read 4,780,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nephler View Post
Columbus sailed to find a western route to Asia in search of riches. That's all!
You might want to read up on your history.
You might want to read his diary it is an historical TRUE FACT:

I am asking you for the last time quit following me and stalking me; If you have proof of something post it.

but you just rant on and on with no proof no discussion - you are harassing me (daily) and I'm tired of your infantile actions.

1490-1492 - Columbus' personal log: "To. . . bring the Gospel of Jesus Christ to the heathens. .... It was the Lord who put into my mind ... that it would be possible to sail from here to the Indies ... I am the most unworthy sinner, but I have cried out to the Lord for grace and mercy, and they have covered me completely ... No one should fear to undertake any task in the name of our Saviour, if it is just and if the intention is purely for His holy service."

We tend to think of Christopher Columbus as an explorer, a discoverer. ... In reality, while that is all true, Columbus was also a man of his day, which meant that he was a man who took apocalyptic teachings, who took biblical passages very, very literally. And in fact, we have in his own autobiographical writings, toward the end of his life, and in his messages to Ferdinand and Isabella, proposing yet another great enterprise. This time it will be ... to restore the Holy Land as a fulfillment of prophecies in the Book of Isaiah and elsewhere of the end time events. ... He believed that gold from the New World could be used to finance this great crusade to the Middle East to regain Jerusalem.
So in addition to everything else, Christopher Columbus is very much a prominent figure in the history of apocalyptic belief in Europe. ... I think Columbus very much did have a sense of millennial fulfillment, that from his voyages, from his discoveries, and ... what he saw as the capstone event of his career, which would be the final expedition to the Middle East, as a fulfillment of biblical prophecies that would lead to the millennium.

I guess they quit teaching the truth in elementary schools

Old 04-30-2012, 03:45 PM

11,449 posts, read 14,460,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
If there were a god, then his perfect creature would not be man, it would be the shark...Sharks have existed since 100 million years before the age of dinosaurs, and have remained basically unchanged, because they are perfectly adapted to their environment... Their only enemy is humans, they cannot get sick, are immune to all disease, even cancer, and are an example of what evolution over a long term can do.

They are absolute, undeniable evidence for evolution.
No, Jesus made the shark. PROVE IT NOT TO BE TRUE!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies