Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2012, 04:38 PM

9,848 posts, read 8,280,777 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
"We don't need you to do that."

Who is the "we" that the dispatcher was referring to? The ladies of the Sunday morning quilting bee?
They did not state, knowing government workers as I do they may have been referring to themselves in Royal terminology in the third person.

Old 04-15-2012, 04:39 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,931,918 times
I finally found what President Obama said in its entirety when a reporter asked him to comment on the Trayvon Martin shooting. Everyone who is critical of his took out a few words and focused on them. Anyone who finds his comments "hateful" really has a problem.

"Well, I’m the head of the executive branch, and the attorney general reports to me, so I’ve got to be careful about my statements to make sure that we’re not impairing any investigation that’s taking place right now.

But obviously, this is a tragedy. I can only imagine what these parents are going through. And when I think about this boy, I think about my own kids. And I think every parent in America should be able to understand why it is absolutely imperative that we investigate every aspect of this, and that everybody pulls together – federal, state and local – to figure out exactly how this tragedy happened.

So I’m glad that not only is the Justice Department looking into it, I understand now that the governor of the state of Florida has formed a task force to investigate what’s taking place. I think all of us have to do some soul-searching to figure out how does something like this happen. And that means examining the laws and the context for what happened, as well as the specifics of the incident.

But my main message is to the parents of Trayvon Martin. If I had a son, he’d look like Trayvon. And I think they are right to expect that all of us as Americans are going to take this with the seriousness it deserves, and that we’re going to get to the bottom of exactly what happened."

Old 04-15-2012, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
I believe the head of La Raza said she was ashamed Zimmerman is of a Hispanic background.
Figures, they are trying to assemble votes for Obama as well in all this.
La Raza is disgusting.

Old 04-15-2012, 04:42 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,416,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCCCB View Post
A politician in Chicago said those with hoodies where he comes from are criminals. They only use the hoodie to cover their face from being identified.

Obviously a tough neighborhood in Chicago.
Urban youth with hoodies strike again.

Teen flash mob strikes Nordstrom store in Portland | Local & Regional | Seattle News, Weather, Sports, Breaking News | KOMO News

Quote:
Last week, a group of 16 teens converged on a Southeast Portland convenience store and stole merchandise and then ran out. Police are still investigating the incident.

Friday's incident happened just after 8 p.m. Police interviewed employees of the store who said a group of approximately 10 black male teenagers were in the store and began taking items and putting them in bags before they ran out the southwest doors of the store toward Northeast 9th Avenue.

Police who checked the area recovered some of the stolen clothing, but did not find the teens, who were between 13 and 19 years old. They were all wearing hats and hoodies with their faces covered.
Sidebar looks like the media is getting fed up with these flash mobs and has resumed identifying flash mob perps by race.

Old 04-15-2012, 04:42 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,123,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
No, I would not have. We are not arguing if what Zimmerman did was stupid, we are debating if what he did was legal. Two idiots (hotheads?) clashed, one died.
Who's debating the legality of it? Although at some point following someone does become harassment.

Zimmerman does have a history that would lend one to believe that he was a "hothead", but Trayvon Martin doesn't seem to have a violent history. Maybe if he lived to GZ's age of 28 he would have had the chance to prove it one way or another.

Moral of the story...don't follow people when you are not law enforcement and have already done your civic duty by notifying law enforcement. As for telling a teen not to go to the store at 7PM...I don't think I would do that.

Old 04-15-2012, 04:45 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,886,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
Who's debating the legality of it?
Pretty much everyone on this thread.

Old 04-15-2012, 04:45 PM

1,765 posts, read 2,196,909 times
I agree with Bill Cosby's statement...I'm sure everyone remembers that his son was shot and killed in an attempted carjacking by a Ukrainian Immigrant in 1997...

Bill Cosby on George Zimmerman: Guns, not race, real issue in Trayvon Martin case | The Cutline - Yahoo! News

Cosby: "I don't know what happened, but I know that this -- I used to have a gun. The policeman who okayed it said to me, "Mr. Cosby, when you pull this trigger, you can't call it back." And so I had the gun in my pocket. And the reason why I had it was to protect my family. But I also knew that anything that went on outside--and it appeared to be something that wasn't on the OK, I went out with my gun. And the thought was if this person is not right or if that doesn't move when I say move, I'm going to show that I have a gun."

I think GZ did just that, showed his gun and the verbal confrontation went to the next level...

Old 04-15-2012, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
He does? What does "very Hispanic" mean? Is that as opposed to "only a little Hispanic?"

Hey, I thought you didn't want race to be part of this discussion! So it's okay to talk about the shooter being Hispanic but talking about the victim's race is biased?

As Angela Corey said, she is only concerned about one letter which is "V" for victim.

I'm not really sure (nobody is) what happened on Feb 26, but the bigots certainly have crawled out from under their rocks. Yes, bigotry is coming from both sides, but I see so much hate on this forum from some posters, that I have to assume they're not really serious. I mean, some of the comments by Backspace are so contemptible that only someone who runs around wearing a hooded sheet would be proud to write them.
That is the point I am making, they made this guy out to at first be white, then the magazines took an old photo and lightened his skin in the picture in the cover.
Later the dad said George was Hispanic.
The Zimmerman name threw them off and they IMO politically stepped in it while attempting to make political gain out of this death.

Backspace IMO went so far from what I read to basically call the kid a bad person. To some extent I think he was a victim of parenting and his own bad choices. Some stuff suggest the kid was indeed a trouble maker.
I for sure don't believe a three time suspended kid with a drug pipe, residue, jewelry and a burglary kit with a habit of defacing property is your typical nice kid.

Old 04-15-2012, 04:47 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,416,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
I finally found what President Obama said in its entirety when a reporter asked him to comment on the Trayvon Martin shooting. Everyone who is critical of his took out a few words and focused on them. Anyone who finds his comments "hateful" really has a problem.

Quote:
"Well, I’m the head of the executive branch, and the attorney general reports to me, so I’ve got to be careful about my statements to make sure that we’re not impairing any investigation that’s taking place right now.
Didn't stop him interjecting though and his AG wouldn't even allow the state to complete its investigation before sending a pack of FBI and DOJ agents down to Sanford. Who so far have come up empty but whose mere presence may have pressured the state prosecutor to file dubious charges.

Quote:
But obviously, this is a tragedy. I can only imagine what these parents are going through. And when I think about this boy, I think about my own kids. And I think every parent in America should be able to understand why it is absolutely imperative that we investigate every aspect of this, and that everybody pulls together – federal, state and local – to figure out exactly how this tragedy happened.
I think most of us realize this was an avoidable tragedy however I disagree for the need of federal involvement it is a local crime.

Quote:
So I’m glad that not only is the Justice Department looking into it, I understand now that the governor of the state of Florida has formed a task force to investigate what’s taking place. I think all of us have to do some soul-searching to figure out how does something like this happen. And that means that examine the laws and the context for what happened, as well as the specifics of the incident.

But my main message is to the parents of Trayvon Martin. If I had a son, he’d look like Trayvon. And I think they are right to expect that all of us as Americans are going to take this with the seriousness it deserves, and that we’re going to get to the bottom of exactly what happened."

What do we have to search are souls for exactly? What laws is he talking about? Doing away with self-defense? Making profiling by private citizens illegal?

Old 04-15-2012, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
No, I would not have. We are not arguing if what Zimmerman did was stupid, we are debating if what he did was legal. Two idiots (hotheads?) clashed, one died.
One hot head might have jumped a person walking back to the care, and when they saw the situation was bleak and they felt their life was about to be taken, they shot to save their own life.

Typically you don't call for cops to come when you are going to go all hot head and try and shoot someone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies