Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2012, 01:24 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,931,918 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
Of course that is not right. We don't know if Zimmerman would have acted differently had Martin been white or hispanic or asian.
Please show me where I mentioned anything about racism in my post or that he would have treated someone else differently. It's very possible he would have followed someone else he thought was suspicious. However, what is suspicious looking about a young man walking around at 7:00?

I only pointed out facts. I said that Frank Taaffe said 8 burglaries were committed by Black males. He said that on CNN. But now we know that isn't true. Throughout this thread and many others on CD, I keep reading that there was "a rash" of burglaries in the community and they were all committed by Blacks. However, what he said and what the police reports indicate do not match.

Also, did you notice that I didn't say "arrested" but that residents implicated a Black male. I don't know if they actually saw anyone. There was only 1 arrest of a Black male. If you get a newsletter that tells you all the burglaries are being committed by young, Black males and to be suspicious of young, Black males, it's possible for you to say to police, "I think it could have been one of those young, Black males." Unless you've been singled out by a group of people, it's hard to explain.

If you look at any of the videos of Frank Taaffe talking about this case, he practically says Zimmerman was specifically targeting Blacks and even made a comment about his community as being a "hood" and snickered. None of this is admissible in court which, in my opinion, is very good for Zimmerman. However, neighbors said Zimmerman was fixated on Black males in their teens. I can't find it now, but one of his newsletters described the people residents should look for as possible suspects. One homeowner in that community said he was too afraid to take a walk.

Old 04-13-2012, 01:31 PM

19,626 posts, read 12,222,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
Where did I say that? What "is not right?"

The facts? Did I call Zimmerman a racist? No.
I meant that it isn't right to profile for the burglaries based on those facts.

I also simply pointed out that GZ may have done the same thing if TM was not black. Some people do think that this is a hate crime.

Old 04-13-2012, 01:36 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,931,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
I meant that it isn't right to profile for the burglaries based on those facts.

I also simply pointed out that GZ may have done the same thing if TM was not black. Some people do think that this is a hate crime.
I'm not one of those people who ever said it was a hate crime Profiling a person and being a hateful racist are two different things.

2nd degree murder (which will probably be reduced) has nothing to do with race. It just has to show malice or intent, that is, he assumed Martin was a criminal before he got out of his car. So if he thought he was up to no good (he said it in the 911 call) and was on some kind of drug (said it in the 911 call) and was carrying something in his waistband (said it in the 911 call) why go after him? Does a rational person pursue something or someone he fears?

Old 04-13-2012, 01:44 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,811,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by needTXinfo View Post
All broken noses are not the same.

http://cdn2.cagepotato.com/wp-conten...chfranklin.jpg

Anyway, it couldn't have been anyone else that shopped it, because I pulled it from the actual video myself. And it's not an artifact of lighting, like I said, the large swelling shows up in multiple angles and you see it very clearly in motion on the video. For goodness sake, just watch it.

Also - are you saying the Sanford police were lying in their police report?
Police can, and do, lie in police reports all the time. Police reports are not legal documents. However, police cannot purger themselves in court.

About the "broken nose;" if he had one, I am sure there will be medical records.

Old 04-13-2012, 01:45 PM

1,230 posts, read 1,039,354 times
Some have posted that TM should have called 911. I had seen or heard somewhere earlier on that he did. ABC reported that he did but later the broadcast was pretty much scrubbed from the web and not reported on since. I guess we will find out in due time whether he called 911 or not.

This is what I can find now. The youtube link is about 34 seconds long and is apparently the ABC7 Chicago original report:

Trayvon Martin call to 911 just before he died! - YouTube

Did Trayvon Martin Call 911 Before He Was Shot? : Sandra Rose

#TrayvonMartin #911

Old 04-13-2012, 01:50 PM
Sco

4,259 posts, read 4,918,464 times
Quote:
I'm not one of those people who ever said it was a hate crime Profiling a person and being a hateful racist are two different things.

2nd degree murder (which will probably be reduced) has nothing to do with race. It just has to show malice or intent, that is, he assumed Martin was a criminal before he got out of his car. So if he thought he was up to no good (he said it in the 911 call) and was on some kind of drug (said it in the 911 call) and was carrying something in his waistband (said it in the 911 call) why go after him? Does a rational person pursue something or someone he fears?
That is the heart of the case for me. If George Zimmerman truly believed that Trayvon was a dangerous criminal on drugs and possibly armed why would he follow him when he knew that the police were on the way? That is the part of Zimmerman's story that makes no sense. He is following a person that he thinks is a dangerous criminal and he expects people to believe that he left his gun in the holster and that a kid with no knowledge of the neighborhood was able to first evade his pursuit, double back and then attack him from behind? That story is BS and everyone knows it.

Old 04-13-2012, 01:51 PM

288 posts, read 283,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
If someone is pointing a gun at you and telling you to stop...are you going to run up to him and get in a fist fight?

I'm also not saying that's what happened, we weren't there and evidence hasn't been released. But some of the scenarios thrown out just don't add up.
The scenario's that you keep throwing out isn't adding up either. Why don't you just come out and say you support GZ?

Old 04-13-2012, 01:56 PM

6,032 posts, read 9,211,195 times

A – The Clubhouse for Retreat at Twin Lakes.
B – Community mailboxes.
C – Where George Zimmerman parked his truck.
D – Brandy Green’s Townhouse, where Trayvon was staying.
E – Zimmerman stopped and completed his 911 call for approximately eighty seconds.
F – The fight and shooting took place in this area.
G – Eyewitness “John’s” townhouse. (http://www.myfoxtampabay.com/dpp/news/state/witness-martin-attacked-zimmerman-03232012 - broken link)

0:15
– The best address I can give you is the clubhouse. [A]
0:45 – He’s just staring at the houses. Now he’s staring at me.
1:00 – He’s coming towards me.
1:20 – He’s coming to check me out.
2:08 – ****, he’s running.
2:14 – Sound of truck door being closed. [C]
2:20 – He’s heading towards the back entrance. [referring to E]
2:25 – Are you following him? Yep.
2:45 – He ran… Zimmerman stops and completes the 911 call. [E]
4:05 – Call ends.

George Zimmerman leaves his truck at 2:14 and reaches Retreat View Circle just over thirty seconds later at 2:45.

He agrees to stop pursuit at the dispatcher’s request. After the 911 call is complete, Zimmerman begins to head back to his truck to meet the police. At this point, he claims he was confronted by Trayvon, and walks a few steps down the sidewalk south to respond to him.

As we can see, it appears unlikely that Zimmerman ever “chased down” Martin. Zimmerman only pursued long enough to maintain visual contact to see what direction Trayvon was going.

Zimmerman traveled his entire route in around 30 seconds, he only went a very short distance and did so specifically to tell the 911 dispatcher where Trayvon had gone.

It wasn’t until a minute later that their altercation took place, when Martin apparently doubled back to confront Zimmerman.

Old 04-13-2012, 02:03 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,416,507 times
Quote:
Were the people who committed the crimes arrested and charged? How do you know they weren't bears?

Seriously, you are listening to Frank Taaffe, not the Sanford Police. He is the man who keeps defending this shooting because of all the "Black males" who committed these crimes. I find it amazing that one man makes a statement and everyone figures it must be true. How easy for people to believe that a gang of Black hoodlums were breaking into homes.

But if you do some homework, you'll find that out of "the rash" of burglaries reported, only 3 were Blacks. Keep in mind that there are 263 townhouses in Twin Lakes. So what is "a rash?" Yet every single newsletter emailed by Zimmerman told neighbors to be on the look out for young, Black males.

Now, let's look at the facts from the Sanford police: 8 burglaries in the 14 months prior to the shooting on Feb 26.

In 3 of those incidents, Black males were implicated by witnesses or arrests. (think only 1 arrest)

So why would a young Black male be any more suspect than a White or Hispanic male or female?

A homeowner who reported that someone had broken into her home and stolen a video game console referred police to a black man who had previously visited her home asking for her son.

After an investigation into the matter, police did not list that man as a suspect in their report.

In the other four incidents, there were no witnesses or suspects, according to police reports.

Yet every time I read about the burglaries, it says they were committed by young, Black males.
Nancy slow down and breath. Let's examine what you just wrote. So out of the 8 incidents only 4 had any witnesses. Of those 4 all of the suspects were identified as Black yet you think it's unreasonable to extrapolate that most if not all were committed by Blacks. Or that Zimmerman should not warn of young black males in his newsletters.

That's simply not logical.

Old 04-13-2012, 02:09 PM

381 posts, read 506,886 times
Quote:

from the 911 call, it sounded like he was following him in his car then went on foot after loosing sight of him. from my point of view, he was there to relay information where the suspicious person was. the conflict didn't sound premeditated.

prosecution needs to prove beyond doubt that zimmerman intended to confront trayvon and not merely giving location to police. 911 conversation has zimmerman asking police to call him for location instead of waiting elsewhere for police. sounds like he was more concerned with helping police find the suspect instead of stalking the suspect.

defense only needs to prove doubt about what prosecution charges. did zimmerman intentionally seek out the confrontation or is there doubt that the encounter may not have been planned?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies