Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2012, 12:41 PM

12,962 posts, read 13,676,205 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
You have the right to defend yourself with a gun when you have reasonable belief your life is immenet danger with or without the castle doctrine. The difference with the castle doctrine is there is no "duty to retreat", the duty to retreat laws criminalize what decisions a victim may make when seconds could be the difference between life and death. The most imporatant part of this law is a prosecutor cannot second guess those decisions based on whether the person could have ran away.

There was obviously an altercation of some sort, if it's shown Mr. Zimmerman was the aggressor the castle doctrine is not applicable.
If Zimmerman backed off at some point and Treyvon kept coming at him the stand your ground law will still exonerate Zimmerman. I believe even if you are the aggressor you can still still legally shoot some one under this law. I like guns as much as the next person and believe every has the right to defend them self, but to formalize a law setting parameters under which you can lawfully kill some one is barbaric, uncivilized, and backwards.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2012, 12:49 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,934,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
If Zimmerman backed off at some point and Treyvon kept coming at him the stand your ground law will still exonerate Zimmerman. I believe even if you are the aggressor you can still still legally shoot some one under this law. I like guns as much as the next person and believe every has the right to defend them self, but to formalize a law setting parameters under which you can lawfully kill some one is barbaric, uncivilized, and backwards.
You mean like when it is a "choice" (abortion) over the immediate protection of life (legal lethal use of force in self defense)?

Again, stand your ground laws differ state to state. Stop trying to make this about the Zimmerman/Martin case because we don't have enough facts to know if the law even applies in this case.

Old 04-12-2012, 12:54 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,495,840 times
Tactical-Life.com » In Vermont, attempted burglary raises self-defense issue.

Quote:
But Cacciatore said it is possible that police may be called on to investigate the attempted use of deadly force if the intruder — once found and arrested — files a complaint.
This sort of thing is why states have passed these laws. The very notion that a burglar climbing into someone's window could file a complaint and get the victim charged is absurd. Anti-self-defense prosecutors are the reason this is necessary.

Old 04-12-2012, 12:56 PM

22,229 posts, read 17,855,263 times
Bloomberg has never been a good RWer. He shows us some spurts now and then, but invariably reverts back to thinking.

Old 04-12-2012, 12:57 PM

7,006 posts, read 6,994,198 times
Bloomberg just another Democrat doosh looking to score cheap political points over a tragedy.

Old 04-12-2012, 01:02 PM

1,090 posts, read 1,594,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
Bloomberg, and his Army Major buddy should mind their own business! NYC has the toughest gun laws in the Country. Any law abiding citizen that is threatened with a firearm in New York is, virtually, defenseless. No one here is talking about vigilantism, this is about defending oneself, period. Defending oneself without fear of prosecution. Does anyone believe this guy was running Fla. law around in his head when this unfortuate event took place? REALLY! There is only one person left that knows what really happened that day, No one else is qualified to comment on the events. But bet this, if I or my family is ever threatened in a truly offensive manor, I would not hesitate to do the same thing Zimmerman did. Hang in there George, if your telling the truth you'll be OK! Its also a dam shame that people use tragedies such as this to gain noteriety, and fame. Oh yeah, lets not forget...Money!.........

A billionaire who is out of touch of everyday life , advocates gun controll .Easy to do that when you have bodyguards paid by taxpayers. But if he to live near ghetto,to go home after second shift in dark I sure he would have not one but two 45 on him..
Everytime I read such statements I'd love to understand what's wrong with conservatives' (crazy) ideology...
Trust me, I'm not mocking you: but if you're dreaming away to live in a city where everyone is armed to the teeth
Dear AllAmericanNYC, I think that YOU are the only one out of touch of everyday life.
And also, if you don't have the ability to accept the fact that the VAST majority of newyorkers don't own any gun just because they DON'T like them - instead of writing delusional bull***** - why don't you relocate to Flyover America?
It's full of gun nuts there: maybe you'll find Heaven on Earth there... even though the crime rate is higher.

Old 04-12-2012, 01:39 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,970,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
You mean like when it is a "choice" (abortion) over the immediate protection of life (legal lethal use of force in self defense)?

Again, stand your ground laws differ state to state. Stop trying to make this about the Zimmerman/Martin case because we don't have enough facts to know if the law even applies in this case.

That's an odd comment. The author of Florida's law has publicly said it does not apply, and we can bet, he'll be a state witness.

PS< Since the NRA adores SYG vigilantism, it would have been prudent for them to make the same distancing statements early, and to urge Fl to press charges against GZ.

Old 04-12-2012, 02:01 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,934,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
That's an odd comment. The author of Florida's law has publicly said it does not apply, and we can bet, he'll be a state witness.

PS< Since the NRA adores SYG vigilantism, it would have been prudent for them to make the same distancing statements early, and to urge Fl to press charges against GZ.
Why is it an odd comment? Should not all the facts come out in court before drawing conclusions? Did the author of the FL law have all the facts in the Zimmerman/Martin case?

Removing the duty to retreat when facing the imminent threat of lethal force by an attacker does not equate to vigilantism no matter how much you, Bloomberg, or others attempt to spin it.

Please provide your links to back up your claims about the NRA supporting vigilantism.

Old 04-12-2012, 02:24 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,970,287 times
Its odd because I consider the author an expert, more than a fellow poster. Did you not know the author discredited the merits in this case?

I do understand Skittles can be dangerous..to ones cholesterol level.

SYG as written aids and abetts vigilantism, and the NRA supports it as written. That means they have no issue with vigilantism. If they were wise instead of radical, they'd seprate themselves from Zimmerman pronto, because by time the trial starts, there are no doubt going to be many states reducing SYG's scope.

Old 04-12-2012, 02:32 PM

8,091 posts, read 5,911,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
Its odd because I consider the author an expert, more than a fellow poster. Did you not know the author discredited the merits in this case?

I do understand Skittles can be dangerous..to ones cholesterol level.

SYG as written aids and abetts vigilantism, and the NRA supports it as written. That means they have no issue with vigilantism. If they were wise instead of radical, they'd seprate themselves from Zimmerman pronto, because by time the trial starts, there are no doubt going to be many states reducing SYG's scope.
Good luck getting ANY politician to stand behind that law in this case....they are scoundrels. The law is a very necessary law. If you think that this country can NEVER get to the point where people will need to defend themselves then you have been turned into a child because you will fall back on "Nanny" to protect you.

You think that EVERY humans right and ability to protect their own well being should be severely compromised, or further oppressed, because of this incident? This incident happened in a vacuum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies