Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do Stay at Home Moms Do Any Work and Are They Capable of Understanding Economic Issues?
Yes. They do the most important job of all raising children & managing a household and they are perfectly capable of understanding economic issues 163 87.63%
Nah. They just sit around eating bon bons all day and can't even keep track of how many kids they have. 23 12.37%
Voters: 186. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2012, 02:47 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,874,717 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctrain View Post
I'm getting dizzy just reading their spin!
I'm dying laughing at the irony. An entire paragraph attributing things to Rosen that she didn't say at all, and then you talk about "their" spin. Step back, way back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2012, 02:47 PM

16,545 posts, read 13,451,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post

Passing legislation about birth control and state forced rape for two.
What an ignorant statement. Not surprised though.

Old 04-12-2012, 02:50 PM

6,734 posts, read 9,340,799 times
How about a good old fashioned "yes" or "no" poll.

Old 04-12-2012, 02:51 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,299,308 times
One democratic woman makes an idiotic statement and the right calls it
Democrats Declare 'War On Moms'

However with the money Romney has i gotta wonder how much of the normal house hold chores a normal Mom would be expected to do was farmed out to nannies,maids and other household staff

Old 04-12-2012, 02:51 PM

3,501 posts, read 3,134,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
His father, the Gov of Michigan was also an automobile executive, for Rambler, I believe. Now some of these folks let their kids "play" at being "poor" by having to live, say, in a one bathroom house with only a one car garage, stuff like that.
Well, they desperately need a narrative to make Romney's seem more like the people he's been firing for all of these years. His rich, out of touch white guy persona is his political achilles heel, and stuff like this is supposed to make him seem more like "one of us"
I don't think he's a bad guy, or would even be a bad President. (I think he's more socially moderate than he is trying to appear to be, because he has to make the far right loonies happy) I just don't believe that he's suddenly become this "man of the people" either, and no matter what Wikipedia says, I seriously doubt that he or his wife have ever had to wonder where their next meal was coming from or how their rent was getting paid.

Ann Romney seems like a decent person, and would probably be a fine first lady. She's been actively involved in a lot of charitable work, all while balancing public life, and two very serious illnesses. She has overcome a lot of adversity with poise and grace. However, none of the adversity she's faced was economic.

Hillary Rosen made a poor choice of words to make a valid point, and she apologized. To portray her as a spokesperson for Democrats or Obama is just another attempt to manufacture more fake outrage.

Old 04-12-2012, 02:52 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,386,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctrain View Post
"Hilary Rosen, a partner at SKDKnickerbocker, the PR firm of former Obama communications director Anita Dunn, charged that Ann Romney "hasn't worked a day in her life" and suggested that Ann Romney can't possibly understand economic issues because she's a lowly homemaker."

Democrats Declare 'War On Moms'

Did somebody say something about a War on Women??? I think the REAL War on Women has just been declared! What do you think? Does managing a household & raising five kids, while battling Cancer and M.S. warrant someone saying this woman "hasn't worked a day in her life" and implying that she isn't capable of understanding economic issues because she's "just" a homemaker?

If this is what the Democrats think of Stay at Home Moms; that they do no work, that they are less intelligent and less valuable than their working- outside- the- home counterparts, I think the battle line has been drawn and the Dems are in for defeat. Women will not stand for this type of insult and devaluation.

I think it depends greatly on the house wife, and the situation they are under, don't you?

Some mothers, like Mitt Romneys wife who probably had a nanny, didn't manage the household budget, and never cleaned, probably not.

I manage the household expenses, and budget how much money we spend on groceries each month, pay all the bills, earn all the money. The bank accounts are all in my name. The only thing my significant other does with a budget is actually buying the groceries. I set the amount she can spend.

Me thinks that Mitt Romney's wife isn't exactly the person that runs the house a middle class stay at home mom is. And that was the point that this woman was getting at.

Old 04-12-2012, 02:54 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,416,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
Why don't you try reading the article from which this came. The Dems are not attacking stay at home parents.

Mitt Romney has put his wife out their to answer to economic challenges that women may have. Rosen, in probably not the greatest choice of words, stated that Ann Romney has never had to work a day in her life so how can she be the spokeswoman for "economic challenges." Is the wife of a millionaire, who has never had to struggle, really the best person for the task? THAT is what Rosen was postulating. Having said that, how is Rosen the person that embodies what the platform of the Democrats are?
She has worked. Mitt Romney admittedly came from an upper middle class background but he was not a millionaire when they wed.

Why are the Dems attacking the wealthy especially a self-made man. Were the Kennedys attacked for their wealth?

Old 04-12-2012, 02:54 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,874,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
I guess he worked as a security guard at Chrysler for fun then..... must have been just for fun since he had all that money.

And I never said anything about middle class.
Because you can't say anything about middle class. I'm middle class. When I went to college, private college, a good school, despite a dizzying array of scholarships, I still had TWO jobs on top of a full course load. I didn't have stocks to sell to cover my living expenses. I didn't have parents who could afford to buy me my first home for cash. They didn't start out poor. They started out with advantages that most of us don't have.

And there's nothing wrong with that. Mitt Romney has worked hard for what he has. And his wife's contributions to his success is no small thing. She has worked hard. She has been an outstanding wife and mother. Kudos to her. She gets nothing but respect from me. But in the same way that I wouldn't understand what her day-to-day life is like, not having any similar life experiences, I doubt she'd understand what my day-to-day life is like. That's not a slam, it's just an acknowledgment that her life is very different from my life, from most American women's lives.

Old 04-12-2012, 02:57 PM

3,501 posts, read 3,134,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
She has worked. Mitt Romney admittedly came from an upper middle class background but he was not a millionaire when they wed.

Why are the Dems attacking the wealthy especially a self-made man. Were the Kennedys attacked for their wealth?
You have a strange idea of what "attack" means. Most comments on this thread about the Romney's have been nothing but respectful of them as people, but pointed out, correctly, that they are hardly average everyday Americans (Unless you are trying to say that the average American is a multi-millionaire)

Old 04-12-2012, 02:57 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,416,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
I think it depends greatly on the house wife, and the situation they are under, don't you?

Some mothers, like Mitt Romneys wife who probably had a nanny, didn't manage the household budget, and never cleaned, probably not.

I manage the household expenses, and budget how much money we spend on groceries each month, pay all the bills, earn all the money. The bank accounts are all in my name. The only thing my significant other does with a budget is actually buying the groceries. I set the amount she can spend.

Me thinks that Mitt Romney's wife isn't exactly the person that runs the house a middle class stay at home mom is. And that was the point that this woman was getting at.
Wrong. Ann Romney married Mitt in undergrad, I believe. They were married with children when he went to Harvard Grad School. So who paid for the nannies while Mitt was a full time student?

Mitt did not become seriously wealthy until much later by that time the kids were almost grown. Now maybe her grandkids have them. If so what of it? The Kennedys have had a slew of nannys for 100 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies