Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2012, 03:58 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,522,269 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by victorianpunk View Post
But for mixed people growing up in the "black community", it can be just as harmful to them as white racism, and that is the point I was trying to make.
The overwhelming majority of people that I grew up with in Los Angeles were/are either light skinned (or light brown) Black, mixed race and/or Black Creole. Many in my family are mixed race or are in interracial marriages. My father is VERY light skinned. Why were we not subjected to this "black racism"?

Your experience is NOT the experience of ALL (or even most) light skinned Black people or people of mixed race. I'm sorry that your father and aunt were cruel to you but those are their personal character flaws and not the flaws of the entire population of Black Americans.

Vpunk, you are nearly 30 years old, its time to grow up and move on. Just let it go. No one has a problem with you embracing both sides of your heritage. No one has a problem with you calling yourself biracial. And if you are light enough, no one cares if you want to pass for White but that does not change the fact that you do have African ancestry.

The summation of this thread is that the only people who are buying into your "woe is me" nonsense are those people who 1) have zero knowledge base for what you are attempting to claim 2) are self hating and 3) don't like Black people anyway so they can "understand" why you don't want to be Black.

Old 06-02-2012, 04:19 PM

1,943 posts, read 3,336,464 times
Oh okay

Old 06-02-2012, 04:59 PM

4,042 posts, read 3,527,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
Or the poster could look silly because the comments of the original post have been debunked within the 100 pages that followed it.

Or, the poster's comments have been disagreed by folks that think they have successfully debunked them, within the noted 100 pages.

Old 06-02-2012, 11:28 PM

4,520 posts, read 4,207,602 times
Wow...VP,

You're still at it?

Old 06-03-2012, 05:36 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,409,587 times
Quote:
Or the poster could look silly because the comments of the original post have been debunked within the 100 pages that followed it.
Debunked by whom? I haven't read it, just attacks.

Old 06-03-2012, 05:39 AM

Quote:
The overwhelming majority of people that I grew up with in Los Angeles were/are either light skinned (or light brown) Black, mixed race and/or Black Creole. Many in my family are mixed race or are in interracial marriages. My father is VERY light skinned. Why were we not subjected to this "black racism"?

Your experience is NOT the experience of ALL (or even most) light skinned Black people or people of mixed race. I'm sorry that your father and aunt were cruel to you but those are their personal character flaws and not the flaws of the entire population of Black Americans.

Vpunk, you are nearly 30 years old, its time to grow up and move on. Just let it go. No one has a problem with you embracing both sides of your heritage. No one has a problem with you calling yourself biracial. And if you are light enough, no one cares if you want to pass for White but that does not change the fact that you do have African ancestry.

The summation of this thread is that the only people who are buying into your "woe is me" nonsense are those people who 1) have zero knowledge base for what you are attempting to claim 2) are self hating and 3) don't like Black people anyway so they can "understand" why you don't want to be Black.
Why is your experience any more valid than his experience? He is first generation mixed race (although his Black parent most likely has white ancestry), your family is multiple generation mixed race firmly rooted in the African American community. Your experience and his experiences will be different although you may both be light skinned of mixed heritage.

You have to know your family's experience is not applicable to the vast majority of African Americans, ever hear of the talented tenth?

Old 06-03-2012, 09:13 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,636,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Why is your experience any more valid than his experience? He is first generation mixed race (although his Black parent most likely has white ancestry), your family is multiple generation mixed race firmly rooted in the African American community. Your experience and his experiences will be different although you may both be light skinned of mixed heritage.

You have to know your family's experience is not applicable to the vast majority of African Americans, ever hear of the talented tenth?
You'd be surprised just how typical her experience is.

Old 06-03-2012, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
You'd be surprised just how typical her experience is.
It's not typical are the majority of African Americans part of the light skinned elite?

Old 06-03-2012, 09:32 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,636,263 times
Quote:
It's not typical are the majority of African Americans part of the light skinned elite?
Elite does not necessarily mean light-skinned, and light-skinned does not necessarily mean elite. My dark-skinned African American father's family is much more affluent and educated than my light-skinned Latin mother's family.

Old 06-03-2012, 11:00 AM

20,524 posts, read 15,895,818 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
Elite does not necessarily mean light-skinned, and light-skinned does not necessarily mean elite. My dark-skinned African American father's family is much more affluent and educated than my light-skinned Latin mother's family.
EdwardA was talking about "light skin" Black people, NOT Hispanics. Sheesh! He's right tho: more higher class Black people ain't all "Black" just looking at them than the hood rats. I don't see that many light skin hood rats thinking about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies