Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2013, 09:43 PM

7,359 posts, read 5,462,865 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Yes of course, before we even began to potty train our daughter we used to tack pictures of slaves and slave ships around her crib.
It may not be peoples' families teaching them. I'm not black and while I live in a majority black town, my own street is mixed. So I'm not in amongst black families. But I do see the "black people, be careful, you're one vote away from being hung or enslaved" thing out there. The Vice President of the United States told blacks that the Republicans were going to put them back in chains and the DNC chairwoman said the GOP wants to bring back Jim Crow. The message not only that we Republicans are prejudiced, but that we are wanting to deprive blacks of their civil rights, segregate them, oppress them, and put them back in slavery is out there, and it isn't even extremist. It's mainstream Democrats doing it.

So wherever they get it from, my point is just that maybe the reason that white people can get the impression that black people are more interested in racism than they are in building healthy communities is that those black people are reacting to a message of fearmongering they get. Where they get it from wasn't my point. Just that they get it, and it might explain the OPs view that black people are too focused on racism causing problems and not enough on fixing whatever problems they have.

I myself get tired of the JDL. Yes, the holocaust happened and I lost relatives in it but that doesn't mean we need press releases about every skinhead group that draws a swastika on a wall somewhere 70 years later. If I ended up buying into that stuff I'd be preoccupied with white supremacists myself. So it is easy for me to see how someone being told by a prominent black politician that the Tea Party wants to hang him from a tree and believes it to be resentful of white people.

Quote:
Most black kids have no freaking clue about the discrimination that their parents, grandparents or great grandparents went through until Negro History month and the class watches some documentary on the Civil Rights movement. We don't have to teach our children about racism, there are still plenty of white folk ready and willing to provide the lessons.
Plenty of white folk ready and willing to teach them about racism, or plenty of white folk around being racist towards them?

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies