Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2012, 06:39 PM

4,520 posts, read 4,209,259 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by victorianpunk View Post
Amen. I remember one incident that I will never forget for as long as I live: I was sitting down in High School and a couple of ghetto blacks approached me and started calling me names. I was reading a book, and they had a problem with that. One of them said, AND I QUOTE:
"He wants to be white. Hell yeah, cause only a straight up, wannabee white boy would be sitting here reading some dumb book called NATIVE SON."

So, reading "Native Son" means I want to be white? God forbid it had been the Autobiography of Malcolm X or something, or I would be accused of being another Michael Jackson...

Indeed, every time a person with black blood gets an education, speaks proper English and tries to better himself the ghetto blacks come out and accuse him of betraying his race...or, for that matter, the ghetto in the blacks around him or her rears its ugly head.
Do you realize what you're doing?? You're criticizing the black race for stuff that happened to you in high school. Do you know how silly and ridiculous some teens are? Do you think only black "nerds" are bullied? I guess you never hear about the white kids who kill themselves (and sometimes their bullies) because they can't take it anymore.

Lots of people get bullied. I was picked on when I was younger for my darker skin. Should I now hate all light-skinned black people because of stuff that happened to me when I was 10?

Old 04-12-2012, 06:41 PM

OP,

What race did you check on the Census? What about if you're applying for college and/or scholarships?

Old 04-12-2012, 06:42 PM

6,351 posts, read 9,977,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocLot View Post
Do you realize what you're doing?? You're criticizing the black race for stuff that happened to you in high school. Do you know how silly and ridiculous some teens are? Do you think only black "nerds" are bullied? I guess you never hear about the white kids who kill themselves (and sometimes their bullies) because they can't take it anymore.

Lots of people get bullied. I was picked on when I was younger for my darker skin. Should I now hate all light-skinned black people because of stuff that happened to me when I was 10?
When the black guy at the bar got into my face because I acknowledged I am Italian, he looked about twenty-five-ish and I am 28.

The only difference between the days of High School and adulthood is that people were more open back then. Now, a ton of blacks hate me and other mixed people just as much, but they aren't as loud about it...usually. They act on it just the same, but they do so quietly.

Old 04-12-2012, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocLot View Post
OP,

What race did you check on the Census? What about if you're applying for college and/or scholarships?

"Other"

But recently, they've allowed us to check more than one box. So I check non-Hispanic White and African American (God, I hate "African American." I have never been to Africa nor have any relatives of mine I know of. Humanity originated in Africa, so we are all technically African American in the US!)

Old 04-12-2012, 06:48 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,901,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
That is because of the Irish slave trade which no one talks about. Only blacks like to talk about their slave days. Many use it quite well like an american express card to get what they want from the government.

Some facts about the Irish Slave Trade along with the African Slave Trade

Irish Slavery

There are records of Irish sold as slaves in 1664 to the French on St. Bartholomew, and English ships which made a stop in Ireland enroute to the Americas, typically had a cargo of Irish to sell on into the 18th century.
Few people today realize that from 1600 to 1699, far more Irish were sold as slaves than Africans.

Slaves or Indentured Servants

There has been a lot of whitewashing of the Irish slave trade, partly by not mentioning it, and partly by labeling slaves as indentured servants. There were indeed indentureds, including English, French, Spanish and even a few Irish. But there is a great difference between the two. Indentures bind two or more parties in mutual obligations. Servant indentures were agreements between an individual and a shipper in which the individual agreed to sell his services for a period of time in exchange for passage, and during his service, he would receive proper housing, food, clothing, and usually a piece of land at the end of the term of service. It is believed that some of the Irish that went to the Amazon settlement after the Battle of Kinsale and up to 1612 were exiled military who went voluntarily, probably as indentureds to Spanish or Portuguese shippers.

However, from 1625 onward the Irish were sold, pure and simple as slaves. There were no indenture agreements, no protection, no choice. They were captured and originally turned over to shippers to be sold for their profit. Because the profits were so great, generally 900 pounds of cotton for a slave, the Irish slave trade became an industry in which everyone involved (except the Irish) had a share of the profits.

Treatment

Although the Africans and Irish were housed together and were the property of the planter owners, the Africans received much better treatment, food and housing. In the British West Indies the planters routinely tortured white slaves for any infraction. Owners would hang Irish slaves by their hands and set their hands or feet afire as a means of punishment. To end this barbarity, Colonel William Brayne wrote to English authorities in 1656 urging the importation of Negro slaves on the grounds that, "as the planters would have to pay much more for them, they would have an interest in preserving their lives, which was wanting in the case of (Irish)...." many of whom, he charged, were killed by overwork and cruel treatment. African Negroes cost generally about 20 to 50 pounds Sterling, compared to 900 pounds of cotton (about 5 pounds Sterling) for an Irish. They were also more durable in the hot climate, and caused fewer problems. The biggest bonus with the Africans though, was they were NOT Catholic, and any heathen pagan was better than an Irish Papist. Irish prisoners were commonly sentenced to a term of service, so theoretically they would eventually be free. In practice, many of the slavers sold the Irish on the same terms as prisoners for servitude of 7 to 10 years.

There was no racial consideration or discrimination, you were either a freeman or a slave, but there was aggressive religious discrimination, with the Pope considered by all English Protestants to be the enemy of God and civilization, and all Catholics heathens and hated. Irish Catholics were not considered to be Christians. On the other hand, the Irish were literate, usually more so than the plantation owners, and thus were used as house servants, account keepers, scribes and teachers. But any infraction was dealt with the same severity, whether African or Irish, field worker or domestic servant. Floggings were common, and if a planter beat an Irish slave to death, it was not a crime, only a financial loss, and a lesser loss than killing a more expensive African. Parliament passed the Act to Regulate Slaves on British Plantations in 1667, designating authorized punishments to include whippings and brandings for slave offenses against a Christian. Irish Catholics were not considered Christians, even if they were freemen.

The planters quickly began breeding the comely Irish women, not just because they were attractive, but because it was profitable,,, as well as pleasurable. Children of slaves were themselves slaves, and although an Irish woman may become free, her children were not. Naturally, most Irish mothers remained with their children after earning their freedom. Planters then began to breed Irish women with African men to produce more slaves who had lighter skin and brought a higher price. The practice became so widespread that in 1681, legislation was passed “forbidding the practice of mating Irish slave women to African slave men for the purpose of producing slaves for sale.” This legislation was not the result of any moral or racial consideration, but rather because the practice was interfering with the profits of the Royal African Company! It is interesting to note that from 1680 to 1688, the Royal African Company sent 249 shiploads of slaves to the Indies and American Colonies, with a cargo of 60,000 Irish and Africans. More than 14,000 died during passage.

Following the Battle of the Boyne and the defeat of King James in 1691, the Irish slave trade had an overloaded inventory, and the slavers were making great profits. The Spanish slavers were a competition nuisance, so in 1713, the Treaty of Assiento was signed in which Spain granted England exclusive rights to the slave trade, and England agreed to supply Spanish colonies 4800 slaves a year for 30 years. England shipped tens of thousands of Irish prisoners after the 1798 Irish Rebellion to be sold as slaves in the Colonies and Australia.

Curiously, of all the Irish shipped out as slaves, not one is known to have returned to Ireland to tell their tales. Many, if not most, died on the ships transporting them or from overwork and abusive treatment on the plantations. The Irish that did obtain their freedom, frequently emigrated on to the American mainland, while others moved to adjoining islands. On Montserrat, seven of every 10 whites were Irish. Comparable 1678 census figures for the other Leeward Islands were: 26 per cent Irish on Antigua; 22 per cent on Nevis; and 10 per cent on St Christopher. Although 21,700 Irish slaves were purchased by Barbados planters from 1641 to 1649, there never seemed to have been more than about 8 to 10 thousand surviving at any one time. What happened to them? Well, the pages of the telephone directories on the West Indies islands are filled with Irish names, but virtually none of these “black Irish” know anything about their ancestors or their history. On the other hand, many West Indies natives spoke Gaelic right up until recent years. They know they are strong survivors who descended from black white slaves, but only in the last few years have any of them taken an interest in their heritage
+++++
There were horrendous abuses by the slavers, both to Africans and Irish. The records show that the British ship Zong was delayed by storms, and as their food was running low, they decided to dump 132 slaves overboard to drownso the crew would have plenty to eat. If the slaves died due to “accident”, the loss was covered by insurance, but not if they starved to death. Another British ship, the Hercules averaged a 37% death rate on passages. The Atlas II landed with 65 of the 181 slaves found dead in their chains. But that is another story.

Irish Slavery
Wow. My Irish family really didn't tell me all that much. Tho us Irish; being white, did have an easier time of it in the US after 1 or 2 generations but things were somewhat tough for us as late as when I was born in the 1960's.

Old 04-12-2012, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sturmgeist View Post
White people invented reading

No, actually the first writing has been found in the Indus Valley and in China, followed by Mesopotamia. Blacks did have writing systems of their own and it's a lie that Africans had no written languages:
Meroitic alphabet - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Ge'ez script - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 04-12-2012, 06:49 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,901,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadex View Post
Some of the post in this thread are just flat out rude. Why go after the OP even if you dont agree with it or like it or understand it? Simply ignore it and move on.
Probable cause the OP's post touched a few nerves. Not saying he's right or wrong.

Old 04-12-2012, 06:51 PM

Quote:
When the black guy at the bar got into my face because I acknowledged I am Italian, he looked about twenty-five-ish and I am 28.

The only difference between the days of High School and adulthood is that people were more open back then. Now, a ton of blacks hate me and other mixed people just as much, but they aren't as loud about it...usually. They act on it just the same, but they do so quietly.
Was this guy in the bar drunk? Again, you're basing your opinions on teens and people who are possibly under the influence.

Let me tell you something; I'm African-American. When I see a lighter-skinned black person, I don't wonder "how black" they are. I don't give a damn. Not even a little. I know plenty of mixed people and they sometimes talk about their various sides. No one in my group of friends clown them for discussing a part of their heritage. Although I'm India-Arie dark, both of my maternal grandparents were extremely light. So, I'm sure I'm a mixture of something somewhere. I don't care...not interested in investigating. And I'm damn sure not interested in whining because black folks won't allow me to acknowledge it.

I doubt you've been hassled as much as you'd like to let people think. The instances you've provided are shaky at best. In the end, do whatever you want. Just remember that at the end of the day, no one cares what you are or what you want to be called. Just be a good person, be real, live your life and keep it moving.

Old 04-12-2012, 06:52 PM

Quote:
"Other"

But recently, they've allowed us to check more than one box. So I check non-Hispanic White and African American (God, I hate "African American." I have never been to Africa nor have any relatives of mine I know of. Humanity originated in Africa, so we are all technically African American in the US!)
You don't even know what African-American means. SMDH...So sad, it's almost tragic. (You seem to have that tragic theme running).

Old 04-12-2012, 07:14 PM

3,436 posts, read 2,948,991 times
Quote:

I am not sure where you live, but maybe my perception of it not being that uncommom comes from my upbringing. I had plenty of mixed race friends and like I said, I've experienced inappropriate comments about being mixed from blacks and whites just like every mixed or biracial person I know.

I know that some black people get annoyed when you identify with your other side. I just don't let it get to me and I know that no matter what else I am, I am still black. For the most part, people don't look at me and say she's black, white and Native American. They know that I'm mixed but they would still refer to me as a light-skinned black woman. Maybe not in Brazil or South Africa, but this is the United States and here if you look like you have some black in you, you are black. Call yourself whatever you want, check any box you want to, but someone is still going to call you black.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies