Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2012, 12:25 PM

4,112 posts, read 4,455,015 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Well your post seemed to contradict that.
How so? I stated the Ethiopians were black.

Old 04-18-2012, 12:31 PM

57,022 posts, read 34,991,358 times
Quote:
Don't worry about that, worry about the youth of your people running amok.
You're taking this "your people" thing to a new level. I mean, i understand where you're placing yourself in this whole thing....the problem is that you're not where you think you are. You're IN IT..not outside of it despite what you're fooling yourself into believing. I feel stupid telling you something so obvious, but damn...you can't be that damn oblivious.

So if the youth of "your people" are running amok...you'd better be worried too. Aint like you've got a shield around you. Especially living in a place as black as where you live.

Better get real. Fast.

Old 04-18-2012, 12:35 PM

Quote:
I think his comparison of Ellison and Minaj is spot on. Ellison was a premier black talent of his day and Minaj is one today. Why would he compare Ellison who was on top of Black culture to a jazz musician today when jazz is no where near the dominant music genre of Blacks?

You could even argue that the comparison is also apt since both genres jazz and hip hop were born out of the African American experience. Both genres were widely consumed by white audiences. Yet one is uplifting the other not so much.

The comparison highlights how far Black culture has degenerated from one where the goal was excellence as embodied by Ellison to one where degenerate, anti-social behavior is celebrated as embodied by Minaj although I think a better comparison would be Ellison/Lil' Wayne.
You missed the point. I am not talking about a comparing a Jazz Musican to Jazz Musican. I am talking about comparing a Transcendental Artist to another Transcendental Artist. I don't think Niki Minaj and her fine self are Transcendental even though you can hear all of her songs on Pop stations.

Personally I think music in general displays degenerate, anti-social behavior and that spans genres.

Old 04-18-2012, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
You're taking this "your people" thing to a new level. I mean, i understand where you're placing yourself in this whole thing....the problem is that you're not where you think you are. You're IN IT..not outside of it despite what you're fooling yourself into believing. I feel stupid telling you something so obvious, but damn...you can't be that damn oblivious.

So if the youth of "your people" are running amok...you'd better be worried too. Aint like you've got a shield around you. Especially living in a place as black as where you live.

Better get real. Fast.
I keep trying to tell him that. And yet he says he can separate himself from it while everyone else is stuck with it.

Old 04-18-2012, 12:45 PM

52 posts, read 74,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilovethecommunity View Post
i guess you don't listen to rapp. its not one rapper oozing hate for whitey.

Mac Miller - Party On Fifth Ave - YouTube

Yeah, he looks like he really hates white people.

"i heard him say he is tired of all the afrocentric baggage like you're putting out"

Afrocentric baggage? What type of Afrocentric baggage was I putting out? I never said anything that was afrocentric.

"and he is a thug and a white hater."

How do you know he is a white hater?
That statement had nothing to do with white people or him being black. Also, check the demographics of neighborhood he grew up in, his neighborhood was 93% white. He had tons of white friends in school. There goes your Kanye is racist theory.

"thuggish is what he did to that young girl at that music award ceremony."

Saying you deserve an award more is thuggish? That's more snobby than anything.There are tons of white actors and musicians who are just as snobby.

"lastly i didn't hear him say all blacks are just the same or has something against blacks."
I never said he did say it. I said that's what I'm getting from it. That's what it's sounding like to me.
going up onstage and stopping the show to tell swift and the world she doesn't deserve it because beyonce deserved it more but the voters therefore must be racist is thuggish. the ink was hardly dry on victoripunks thread when you and yours jumped on him and beat him bloody. you apparently don't see that as racist or afro-centric.
my half italian neices and nephews would be proud that he keeps getting back up. my half black neices and nephews (8) are divided on this but they would never jump in like a pack of dogs and tear him up like is being done.

Old 04-18-2012, 01:08 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,488,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorianpunk View Post
I think the most racist thing blacks ever did for me was beating me almost unconscious for listening to "white music". But hey, who am I to hold a grudge against "my brothas"
Funny, I have been a fan of "white music" for decades, and have NEVER been beaten by black or white. In fact, I have even visited white country music bars. Yet, somehow, here I am typing on the computer. . . . no broken bones, no semi-consciousness, and no post traumatic ailments. A few years ago, I attended a Wynonna Judd concert, and had a ball. I hate to burst your bubble, but I was not the only black in attendance. I am also a huge fan of Steely Dan, Acoustic Alchemy (saw them last year), Michael Franks, Andrea Bocelli, to name a few. I enjoy many types of music, and don't give a damn about their race. You must be an unfortunate abuse magnet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by victorianpunk View Post
I most certainly do!...and that, again, is something black people hate about me: I prefer the old "nerd" culture to "ghetto gangstalicious" culture. But hey, MODERN black American culture is, frankly, disgusting anyway. Once upon a time it was something to be proud of but now?...
What an appallingly ignorant generalization. I've got news for you. Black American culture is no more "ghetto ganstalicious" culture, than White America is "trailer park" culture. Both are subsets of the dominant culture, and only the most ignorant and biased think differently. But, if it helps to further your black hate campaign, knock yourself out.

Old 04-18-2012, 01:15 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,737,573 times
Quote:
I'm sorry as much as you like to think that Ghetto culture is not "the" culture of Black America the facts on the ground reveal otherwise. Even non-ghetto Blacks follow this culture, by "keeping it real". So yes for many Blacks this culture is alien but by no means is it a "sub-culture". In fact I would challenge you to identify a culture associated with African-Americans that is more dominant than the hip-hop, thug culture in particular with folks under 40.

I think his comparison of Ellison and Minaj is spot on. Ellison was a premier black talent of his day and Minaj is one today. Why would he compare Ellison who was on top of Black culture to a jazz musician today when jazz is no where near the dominant music genre of Blacks?

You could even argue that the comparison is also apt since both genres jazz and hip hop were born out of the African American experience. Both genres were widely consumed by white audiences. Yet one is uplifting the other not so much.

The comparison highlights how far Black culture has degenerated from one where the goal was excellence as embodied by Ellison to one where degenerate, anti-social behavior is celebrated as embodied by Minaj although I think a better comparison would be Ellison/Lil' Wayne.
Had to LOL at the bold!!

If what you say is true, you also "keep it real" by doing something ghetto and thuggish.

I don't even know what "black culture" in the way you describe it is, I am not a thug, I went to college, I have a job, I am married, I rarely listen to rap and when I do, it is older as I don't paticularly like any new artists. I have never even heard a Nikki Minaj song and only know about her due to the little British white girl who loved her songs on Ellen Degeneres' talk show. I would never let my kids listen to her based on what the little girl was singing.

And comparing her to Duke Ellington, a jazz/big band pioneer, is WAY off, like btsilver said. I played trumpet as a child and studied jazz and she has nothing on the Duke, even though I suspect you also don't know much about him as he was quite a character.

Old 04-18-2012, 01:37 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,328,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
Had to LOL at the bold!!

If what you say is true, you also "keep it real" by doing something ghetto and thuggish.

I don't even know what "black culture" in the way you describe it is, I am not a thug, I went to college, I have a job, I am married, I rarely listen to rap and when I do, it is older as I don't paticularly like any new artists. I have never even heard a Nikki Minaj song and only know about her due to the little British white girl who loved her songs on Ellen Degeneres' talk show. I would never let my kids listen to her based on what the little girl was singing.

And comparing her to Duke Ellington, a jazz/big band pioneer, is WAY off, like btsilver said. I played trumpet as a child and studied jazz and she has nothing on the Duke, even though I suspect you also don't know much about him as he was quite a character.
While you were in college did you learn the meaning of the word anecdote?

Who said Nikki Minaj is on the level of Duke Ellington? I'm just comparing to prominent black musicians of their, playing the dominant music genre in black music at their respective times.

Like I said earlier Lil Wayne would probably be a better comparison but the point is that by observing two different top black artists from different eras one can see the steady decline in black culture.

Old 04-18-2012, 01:44 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,259,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post

Better get real. Fast.

Sounds like someone that needs to be "dropped"

[SIZE=3]'Drop Squad'[/SIZE]

Old 04-18-2012, 01:51 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,259,850 times
Quote:
While you were in college did you learn the meaning of the word anecdote?

Who said Nikki Minaj is on the level of Duke Ellington? I'm just comparing to prominent black musicians of their, playing the dominant music genre in black music at their respective times.

Like I said earlier Lil Wayne would probably be a better comparison but the point is that by observing two different top black artists from different eras one can see the steady decline in black culture.

Would you compare Mozart to ted nugent? Or Willie Nelson to the Beatles? So why are to you trying to compare a jazz musican to a rapper?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies