Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2012, 11:03 AM

13,221 posts, read 12,293,637 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OleSchoolFool View Post
In regards to ghettos and crime, far as I know, white ghettos aka trailer parks, etc have less crime than black ghettos, which is weird cuz meth usually makes people act the fuc* up at the least. I'm sure there is quite a bit of problems, but I don't think poor white areas are doing as bad as poor black areas. Poverty is the main cause of crime in any race, but seems like poor blacks are more aggressive than poor whites, on average. It might be an inferiority complex-realizing they get looked down upon and feeling like second class, which is true to some extent, but not as bad as some of them ignorant types feel (it's not 1950s anymore), thus even more aggression. Another thing-I don't know how true is this, but I heard blacks have higher testosterone levels, which might equate to higher acting up/crime rate.

Another big thing responsible for state of the black ghettos-lack of family structure and guidance, single parent families, rise of feminism. Kids grow up ignorant and troublesome, have kids themselves from 12 diff people, and the cycle continues. The whites are starting to have that problem too now.
Additional contributors-the inept welfare system, which literally feeds this situation partly and drug epidemics from back in the day that brought violent gangs with guns and money=more bloodshed=more destruction.
This might be a sensitive topic, but these are just my assessments from what I've seen first hand in different hoods. (white and black)

You forgot the most important thing that made most that possible in the first place that does not affect poor whites but affects poor blacks--------RACISM!

Old 05-02-2012, 02:29 PM

2,664 posts, read 5,624,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
You forgot the most important thing that made most that possible in the first place that does not affect poor whites but affects poor blacks--------RACISM!
True. Racism is responsible for a lot of it and even though times are different now, I can understand how it can be hard to get out of that box and get your mind right after yrs of not knowing better.

Old 05-02-2012, 03:17 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,653,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorianpunk View Post
But do you admit that black culture also doesn't particularly care for mixed people? Oh...and what the F**** is "White culture"? Hate to break it to you, but whites are a pretty diverse group. Italian Americans are completely different from Italian Italians (many confess to hating the American guido mutation) and Russians are completely different from Danes.

I don't mind being mixed...it's just society makes it hard for mixed people to be true to both of their heritages. Fortunately, more of MY RACE are getting born every day and we're popping up everywhere and awakening into ourselves as a distinct people, neither white nor black.

Now, blacks laugh at Tiger Woods for correctly insisting that he isn't black but is black, white and Asian...in a few decades he'll be considered a trail blazer by other mixed people, and blacks are just going to have to learn to deal with it.
This has never been my experience and I was born in the mid-1950s when it was much more rare than it is today.

I have never cared how people perceive me. I've never identified with one side of my family over the other nor have I ever felt any pressure to do so.

If it makes you feel better to assert yourself as 'other' by all means do so, however, don't be so naive as to think that this will in any way change how other people perceive you. You are never going to change their minds and railing against the injustice of it all just makes you a target for ridicule.
If you are truly comfortable with all of your parts, nothing anyone says should cause you to feel defensive, and honestly, defensiveness is all over your posts.
You are what you are and running down others who share your background or skin color is not going to win you points with the other side.
It just makes you look weak.

Old 05-02-2012, 04:33 PM

6,351 posts, read 9,962,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
This has never been my experience and I was born in the mid-1950s when it was much more rare than it is today.
And Herman Cain said he never experienced racism growing up in the 50s and 60s in the South...want me to believe him too?

Quote:
You are what you are and running down others who share your background or skin color is not going to win you points with the other side.
It just makes you look weak.

So, by saying I have respect for blacks from Africa and the Caribbean I am "gunning down others who share my background?"
Also, I am not trying to "win points from the other side" (I'm not Obama with his racist, black supremacist preacher) Just saying that neither whites NOT BLACKS fully accept mixed people and that it would be idiotic for me to try to be black, just as it would be idiotic for me to try to be white. I am neither and both at the same time, as are all mixed pardos/mulattoes/coloureds.

Old 05-02-2012, 04:42 PM

2,664 posts, read 5,624,640 times
Btw, white culture is typical average white American culture. Italians and Russians are not your average Americans.

Old 05-02-2012, 05:04 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,653,757 times
Quote:
And Herman Cain said he never experienced racism growing up in the 50s and 60s in the South...want me to believe him too?.

Don't care if you do or not, although I actually did. It is always all about perception.

Quote:
So, by saying I have respect for blacks from Africa and the Caribbean I am "gunning down others who share my background?"
Also, I am not trying to "win points from the other side" (I'm not Obama with his racist, black supremacist preacher) Just saying that neither whites NOT BLACKS fully accept mixed people and that it would be idiotic for me to try to be black, just as it would be idiotic for me to try to be white. I am neither and both at the same time, as are all mixed pardos/mulattoes/coloureds.

Like I said, you don't have to try to be anything. You are what the world perceives you to be.

Old 05-02-2012, 06:01 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,379,893 times
I don't understand why folks are coming down on victorpunk, Obama went through similar struggles with identity.

Young Barack Obama in Love: A Girlfriend's Secret Diary | Politics | Vanity Fair

Quote:
When Barack Obama met Genevieve Cook in 1983 at a Christmas party in New York’s East Village, it was the start of his most serious romance yet. But as the 22-year-old Columbia grad began to shape his future, he was also struggling with his identity: American or international? Black or white? Drawing on conversations with both Cook and the president, David Maraniss, in an adaptation from his new Obama biography, has the untold story of the couple’s time together.

Old 05-02-2012, 06:09 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,865,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OleSchoolFool View Post
Btw, white culture is typical average white American culture. Italians and Russians are not your average Americans.
Uh; once their kids speak only English; that's usually the kiss of death for their family's cultures.

Old 05-02-2012, 06:10 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,406,067 times
Can anyone give an explanation as to why this thread is so popular?

Old 05-02-2012, 07:59 PM

835 posts, read 1,038,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
I don't understand why folks are coming down on victorpunk, Obama went through similar struggles with identity.

Young Barack Obama in Love: A Girlfriend's Secret Diary | Politics | Vanity Fair

Obama wasn't on Internet forums putting down the entire black race.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.