Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2012, 08:28 AM

7,545 posts, read 8,326,934 times

Advertisements

Obama should look within his own ranks if he wants to tackle pay inequality. Reports show that the male WH staffers earn 18% more than their female counterparts. Tsk, tsk.

White House Gender Pay Gap? - CNBC

And here is the actual list of employees and their annual salaries:

2011 Annual Report to Congress on White House Staff | The White House
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2012, 08:28 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post

Motherhood is not a factor in this equation.
None of these women have kids?

Old 04-12-2012, 08:33 AM

23,862 posts, read 24,111,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
This really illustrates why I think many intelligent people feel more and more distanced from modern conservative thought.

The thought pattern above goes something like this:

(1) I want something to be true.
(2) I will ignore evidence to the contrary.
(3) I will ignore the lack of evidence to support my position.
(4) I will search for any personal anecdote to justify my poorly supported position.
(5) I will believe what I want, despite what is true and use half truths to justify it.

This pattern is so common in the "rationale" behind what many conservatives on this board use. And when people poke obvious holes in their "logic" they fire back with vitriol and hatred and claim their "personal beliefs" are being attacked and they are "discriminated against" as a conservative. When the truth is, their original hypothesis is based on nothing more than a desire for it to be true. It's vapid, anti-intellectual and counter-productive to solving the problems of this country.

And... It's epidemic.
It's not just conservatives, m. It's human nature, and people of all political/social philosophies demonstrate that trait.

What does it say about those people who don't see it on "their side?"... Hmm...

Old 04-12-2012, 08:40 AM

23,862 posts, read 24,111,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
i don't know what are you blathering on about, but i'm sorry to hear that your girlfriend outearns you.
Wow, talk about deflection! You didn't even TRY to address the inequality and outright discrimination in the topless dancing business! You also failed to adequately respond to the other information I provided you.

BTW, that 2% is by design. There are perks for a business that's owned by a Hispanic woman with a permanent disability. The business was my idea and I did all the initial legwork in getting it up and running.

BTW, you get a "C" for effort on the veiled insult, and an "F" for achievement.

Old 04-12-2012, 08:54 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,733,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
Wow, talk about deflection! You didn't even TRY to address the inequality and outright discrimination in the topless dancing business!
Why would I address it?

If I asked you why you hated the taste of molasses, and why you dye your hair purple, would you address that question? Or would you move on to more reality-based discussions?

Quote:
You also failed to adequately respond to the other information I provided you.
It was a non sequitur.

Quote:
BTW, that 2% is by design. There are perks for a business that's owned by a Hispanic woman with a permanent disability. The business was my idea and I did all the initial legwork in getting it up and running.

BTW, you get a "C" for effort on the veiled insult, and an "F" for achievement.
So you're outearned by your disabled hispanic girlfriend? It's not an insult, I want to clarify that this is , in fact, what you're bragging about.

Last edited by le roi; 04-12-2012 at 09:08 AM..

Old 04-12-2012, 08:59 AM

11,011 posts, read 11,024,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
I work in the high tech industries and I have personally known of several women that perform exactly same job I do with the same experience level that would be getting a couple of dollars per hour less. The high tech companies are often the last foothold for the good old boys, that still surprises some that do not work in the field. So much for your arguement in general, true many job fields have finally done away with the practice but I, for one, personally know that not all industries are at the same level.
This is also my experience in the IT field. I've seen it personally and have heard plenty of anecdotes as well. In my working career, the most chauvinism I've seen is in the IT field and my career includes a stint in the Marine Corps! I considered it a personal challenge, as a female, to succeed and surpass my colleagues in the IT field given this pervasive viewpoint.

Old 04-12-2012, 09:00 AM

9,319 posts, read 18,747,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
I am a sales professional, therefore, my income is substantially higher than a woman working the switchboard in the office.

Does that count?

The female reps earn what I earn (if they produce as I do).

My son works i n food retail as a general manager.

The female GM's earn the same.

In fact, I've never worked for a business where women were paid less than men for doing the same job.

I believe that this is a leftie talking point with a baseless foundation.
I disagree with you respectfully. My daughter works in construction and takes on far more responsibilty at her work (construction) and she makes far less than her male coworkers do. Some companies don't always pay equally and some industries continue to discriminate. Just a personal observation. What to do about it? My daughter continues to build an awesome resume for future employment with a company that will appreciate her more.

Old 04-12-2012, 01:16 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,051,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
This really illustrates why I think many intelligent people feel more and more distanced from modern conservative thought.

The thought pattern above goes something like this:

(1) I want something to be true.
(2) I will ignore evidence to the contrary.
(3) I will ignore the lack of evidence to support my position.
(4) I will search for any personal anecdote to justify my poorly supported position.
(5) I will believe what I want, despite what is true and use half truths to justify it.

This pattern is so common in the "rationale" behind what many conservatives on this board use. And when people poke obvious holes in their "logic" they fire back with vitriol and hatred and claim their "personal beliefs" are being attacked and they are "discriminated against" as a conservative. When the truth is, their original hypothesis is based on nothing more than a desire for it to be true. It's vapid, anti-intellectual and counter-productive to solving the problems of this country.

And... It's epidemic.
You go by government statistics.

I go by real life experience.

Ask people that you know who are in the workplace.

Does a male cashier at Giant make more than a woman?

Does a female assembly line earn less than her male counterpart?

You, nor anyone else can poke holes in my argument.

Give me a direct example of a woman being paid less for the same job as a man.

You can't.

Lefties are the ones who base "fact" on things that they want to be true. You take a "fact" and tweak the supporting information to prove out your "truth".

I see it all the time with lefties.

Old 04-12-2012, 01:18 PM

16,545 posts, read 13,452,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
You could look at any number of sites a simple search provides such as:

Wall Street Says Women Worth Less as Disparity Over Pay Widens - Bloomberg

Pay Gap Between Male And Female Doctors Gets Wider And Wider

Equal Pay and the Gender Gap: Men Still Outearn Women - TIME

etc., etc,. etc............................................... ....

But I guess it's easier to use your irrelevant sample size of two to attempt making a rightie talking point with baseless foundation, eh?
Where is your link about women in the WH earning less than their male counterparts? Is Obama going to address this?

Old 04-12-2012, 01:19 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,051,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
Exactly. It is the woman's fault that she doesn't negotiate better. However, I think that when these studies are done, they don't take into account that a company would pay more, they are just studying that they aren't making the same or more. For instance, if they came and did that study at my old company, they would see a pay disparity between men and women and they would report that disparity. They wouldn't caveat their results that "well, there wouldn't be a disparity if the women negotiated better."

Having said that, and realizing my experience is TOTALLY anectdotal, one of the other managers told me that he did pay men more because they "needed" it more. So, even if the woman did negotiate like a shark on a certain position, he was going to cap her at, say, $41,000 versus his male applicant he would pay up to $45,000. You have to wonder why these men told me all these things? Well, I had worked with them for 15 years, they felt comfortable with me, and it was a time when we just didn't sue employers for everything. They felt pretty safe saying it, yet secretly my eyeballs were popping out.
Even if that were true, wouldn't lefties be behind the practice of paying people based on need, rather than by the value of their labor?

lefties want to keep their cake and eat it too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies