Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Of the past generations of American youth, where do you think today's youth stand?
Better than average 17 16.83%
Average 29 28.71%
Worse than average 49 48.51%
No opinion / Don't know 6 5.94%
Voters: 101. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2012, 09:13 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,949,177 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Maybe, but don't blame the kids. You need to blame the parents for raising them that way.
Definitely. I think the question should be "Were Boomers good parents?". The short answer is: No.

Boomers embraced the whole "divorce won't hurt the kids" mentality. That turned out to be mostly false. See Judith Wallerstein's book for more:

Amazon.com: The Unexpected Legacy of Divorce: A 25 Year Landmark Study (9780786886166): Judith S. Wallerstein, Julia M. Lewis, Sandra Blakeslee: Books
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2012, 09:16 PM

9,007 posts, read 13,836,307 times
I just get so sick of the older generation.
Inflation is the reason we can't buy houses.
I'm so sorry my salary isn't enough to buy a house,health insurance,and whatever else.
We pay a larger portion of you guys social security and Medicare than you guys did for the previuos generation.
Get off that high horse.

Old 04-13-2012, 09:19 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,949,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneTraveler View Post
We are less prone to living an irresponsible debt financed life like Baby boomers and generation x did..
I don't know if this one is true, but I hope it is.

Quote:
Generation Y is the first generation since the lost generation to have an increased optimism about public transit, so we drive less than previous generations. This is called a bad thing by a lot of older people, but is it really so?.
You are right about this. The auto culture has been too dominant for too long. It needs to be put in its place.

Quote:
There is an unemployment crisis going on today for generation y. As if that is our fault. It is boomers and Xers that destroyed our economy by financing their lavish lives through asset bubbles.
Amen . Once again, it was the Boomers who embraced the "Debt is normal. Don't worry about the future. Everything will take care of itself" mentality. Look where that's gotten us.

Old 04-13-2012, 09:22 PM

5,450 posts, read 8,761,014 times
Gen X and beyond will pay more for the generations preceeding us. No, my boomer parents were not good parents. I've been trying to raise mine by doing nothing they did and everything they didn't. Sorry if that offends anyone but this is my own experience.
I think the younger kids are for the most part going to be just fine.

Old 04-13-2012, 09:25 PM

7,545 posts, read 8,325,406 times
Today's youth were raised in a society where everyone is a winner and there is no such thing as a loser. Everyone gets a prize for just showing up, hard work/talent be damned.

Old 04-13-2012, 09:29 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,208,767 times
I worked for a youth outreach program a few years ago and taught safety/anti- bullying classes to hundreds of high school students. I also have HS kids myself. IMO, the youth of today are way better that those of my gen when it comes to taking foolish risks, but not as driven to get on with their lives professionally and independently.

I guess my statement explains it- they don't take as many risks- good and bad risks.

Kids of today- we're happy you are not having as much unprotected sex and are doing fewer drugs. But take the good risks.... get a drivers license, get a job, MOVE OUT... Take the good risks when you are young and can fall back on us!

Old 04-13-2012, 10:03 PM

860 posts, read 1,357,370 times
This

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
I think we are better. For one,we are more tolerant of others.
We are less racist,sexist,and homophobic than previous generations.
and this

Quote:
I think there are positives and negatives within each generation.

Some of Generation Y's positives:

1) Acceptance of others who are different
2) Educational attainment. We are by far the most educated generation the country has ever seen.
3) Teen pregnancy is very low among our generation.
4) We are less prone to living an irresponsible debt financed life like Baby boomers and generation x did.
5) Tech savy

A lot of the "negatives" that get associated with our generation can be implied as being positives as well. Like, lots of old people on this board whine about young people not getting houses and continuing to live with their parents. Or renting into their 30s. Well, so sorry that I don't plan on buying a house until I can actually BUY one! I don't believe in taking out debt for any purpose in life. And about driving cars. Generation Y is the first generation since the lost generation to have an increased optimism about public transit, so we drive less than previous generations. This is called a bad thing by a lot of older people, but is it really so?

There is an unemployment crisis going on today for generation y. As if that is our fault. It is boomers and Xers that destroyed our economy by financing their lavish lives through asset bubbles.

Hmmm, now that i think about it, it's possible that in the future, this, i mean my generation will be the first generation to phase out the strictly democrat/republican dominated political landscape and move towards a moderate mode. Just wishful thinking

Old 04-13-2012, 10:16 PM

5,365 posts, read 6,335,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austiNati View Post
This

and this

Hmmm, now that i think about it, it's possible that in the future, this, i mean my generation will be the first generation to phase out the strictly democrat/republican dominated political landscape and move towards a moderate mode. Just wishful thinking
You mean like get rid of the two party system in favor of a one party system? I don't think that will happen. Hopefully whatever parties we have in the future will have a more blended view of social issues though.

Old 04-13-2012, 10:19 PM

39,868 posts, read 26,498,769 times
IMO, the issue isn't that the kids are different...the parents are. Many parents of this generation have spend their lives indulging their kids every whim. Buying them smart phones and Ipods. Buying their little babies nearly new cars when they are still in high schools. Not demanding that they get jobs as teenagers and actually work for something. Of demanding that schools promote their kids rather then earned it or not. Of demanding that their kids are not punished when they mess up. Of not teaching them to respect others, or themselves for that matter.

Not the kids fault; they are the products of their parents actions. And this certainly doesn't apply to all. I have had the pleasure of meeting some very pleasant, hard working teens. For the most part...they are also the products of their parents.

Old 04-13-2012, 10:20 PM

5,365 posts, read 6,335,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnolia Bloom View Post
I worked for a youth outreach program a few years ago and taught safety/anti- bullying classes to hundreds of high school students. I also have HS kids myself. IMO, the youth of today are way better that those of my gen when it comes to taking foolish risks, but not as driven to get on with their lives professionally and independently.

I guess my statement explains it- they don't take as many risks- good and bad risks.

Kids of today- we're happy you are not having as much unprotected sex and are doing fewer drugs. But take the good risks.... get a drivers license, get a job, MOVE OUT... Take the good risks when you are young and can fall back on us!
Well, do your hs kids have driver's licences and jobs?

I had a job and drivers license at 16. I moved out at 18. Nearly every one of my peers had similar stories at my age. It wasn't until about 20 or so (24 now) that so many of us lost our jobs and couldn't find replacement work. Many of my friends have moved back in with their parents after graduation because they can't find work.

I just get a little sensitive at how older Americans think generation y doesn't want to work! I can look at my friends on facebook who are chronically unemployed and their facebook walls are just full of depression. I think most of the unemployed youth definitely want jobs. Myself included!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies