Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2012, 09:38 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,833,234 times

Advertisements

This issue can’t simply be changed by a law or more regulation; it has to be changed by the culture, a culture that values a woman’s opinions, decisions and leadership as much as a man’s. We don’t want a regulated job, we want respect. I don’t want a job or a CEO position because it was regulated for a female, and nor should any other woman. Jobs and positions should be earned and rewarded, and it’s unfortunate if the culture doesn’t allow for this. This culture shift, which has been slow to shift, must start with us women, and with the president. We must demand respect, and he and others must show it.

Read more: The truth about the war on women | Fox News

Her argument against less regulation for women's rights has its heart in the right place. I wish the world was warm and fuzzy, too. It wasn't too long ago that women had pretty much zero rights.... then, hey! Laws and regulations. That kind of happened with ethnic groups, too, as I recall. I think it still happens. It's really unfortunate if the culture doesn't allow for that, though, doncha think? Pesky darn regulations.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2012, 10:30 PM

4,698 posts, read 4,074,443 times
You are comparing apples to oranges. It is much easier to ban discrimination than to force society to change. The main reason women earn less is because they work less, get babies, take other jobs, etc.

If you want women and men to earn the same, and use force to achieve it, then employers will stop hiring women, because they do not produce the same value for the company. Now, you can force employers to have a certain share of women, but then they may go abroad or just close down.

So many people think they can regulate away any imperfection. In reality, it doesn't work. You will never beat the market. To really solve the problems, then you will need to resolve the root causes.

Old 04-14-2012, 12:00 AM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,833,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camlon View Post
You are comparing apples to oranges. It is much easier to ban discrimination than to force society to change. The main reason women earn less is because they work less, get babies, take other jobs, etc.

If you want women and men to earn the same, and use force to achieve it, then employers will stop hiring women, because they do not produce the same value for the company. Now, you can force employers to have a certain share of women, but then they may go abroad or just close down.

So many people think they can regulate away any imperfection. In reality, it doesn't work. You will never beat the market. To really solve the problems, then you will need to resolve the root causes.
Point taken. That makes a lot of sense, once explained like that. I think you're right. desegregation and gender issues aren't the same thing.
http://reason.com/archives/2011/07/ (broken link)

Yet legal action is far too blunt and heavy an instrument to deal with these issues. Sometimes, as with the ban on racial segregation or on overt sex discrimination in the workplace, law can change culture in the right direction. But for the law to intrude into a complex web of human relationships and attitudes is an overreach likely to cause more harm than good. For one, we live in a time when state intrusion into private actions is viewed with suspicion. To say that women's advancement requires the government and the courts to micromanage business decisions—to the point of telling a corporation that it cannot let local managers control promotions and pay—is to invite a backlash08/wal-mart-and-gender-discrimina

Old 04-14-2012, 12:55 AM

9,855 posts, read 11,931,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camlon View Post
The main reason women earn less is because they work less, get babies, take other jobs, etc.
You're right, of course. And, as it happens, people with the name Camlon work less, and spend too much time on the company internet on political websites...so... we're going to hire people named Camlon, but pay them less. A lot less. Serves them right. At least they have a job here, who else will hire them. See, Camlon, I don't really give a flying, because my name isn't Camlon and I'm not being discriminated against. But I can't imagine you feel too good about the fact that you bust your hump in there (you better!) every day, just to prove you're no slacker like all the other Camlon's in your department but you get paid exactly the same as the rest of them. Which is to say about 3/4 of what guys like me make.

H

Old 04-14-2012, 06:25 AM

4,698 posts, read 4,074,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
You're right, of course. And, as it happens, people with the name Camlon work less, and spend too much time on the company internet on political websites...so... we're going to hire people named Camlon, but pay them less. A lot less. Serves them right. At least they have a job here, who else will hire them. See, Camlon, I don't really give a flying, because my name isn't Camlon and I'm not being discriminated against. But I can't imagine you feel too good about the fact that you bust your hump in there (you better!) every day, just to prove you're no slacker like all the other Camlon's in your department but you get paid exactly the same as the rest of them. Which is to say about 3/4 of what guys like me make.

H
It doesn't work that way. For instance single women earn more than single men. If discrimination is the cause, then this makes no sense.

If people named Camlon earn less, it only matters if it is a caused by discrimination. If it is possible to fire bad workers, then you will lose money from discriminating, and possibly go out of business. Also, having more women and minorities makes your company more balanced.

But I do suffer from discrimination, but in other ways that is acceptable. (my voice is too high pitch, and I am not that tall) Complaining will not get me anywhere. I just need to work harder and better than others.

Old 04-14-2012, 06:33 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,530,289 times
How can your link use "truth" and Fox News in the same sentence?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies