Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2012, 10:06 AM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,111,175 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
No, how about you explain why assuming that any hispanic person being an illegal immigrant with anchor babies is NOT bigotry and prejudice.
Tried to rep you but they want me to spread the love around so I'll do it here. I also always wonder why it is that some folks assume anyone of hispanic heritage is "illegal" when, in point of fact, many have a heritage that goes back to before we became a nation.

I also want to groan when I see the "English only" type of arguements. I have traveled extensively and am always so grateful that in other countries the people are well educated enough to be able to speak English as well as their native language. And how kind they are to speak English to me when it becomes clear to them that I don't speaks Italian or Spanish or German, etc.
Would that we were as educated and kind.

Old 04-15-2012, 10:14 AM

12,169 posts, read 17,647,423 times
Why bring a child into this world if you can't provide a basic need such as food? I think we can all agree, that for one reason or another a person holding up the line with her WIC checks, clearly can't afford to raise a child. Aside from food a child has many costly needs, so the WIC check is just the tip of the iceberg.

Old 04-15-2012, 10:19 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
No, how about you explain why assuming that any hispanic person being an illegal immigrant with anchor babies is NOT bigotry and prejudice.
Well one would hope that our legal immigration laws haven't become so very lax yet that we're intentionally bringing in welfare recipients who can't learn English. These aren't employer sponsored immigrants with WIC coupons, and the only other thing they may prove is that family sponsorship is a joke if they're on welfare handouts.

Old 04-15-2012, 10:37 AM

16,911 posts, read 10,591,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat View Post
Got some news for you, my friend. Illegal aliens do not qualify for benefits like WIC or an EBT card. You need to be able to prove that you are at least a permanent resident, in order to qualify for any type of welfare benefit. Where do some Americans get this idea that illegals live on the Government dough?
It depends on the state agency in many cases. You need to be a "resident" to qualify for most of those programs. But the state can just ask for a phone bill and a DL to satisfy these requirements.

Old 04-15-2012, 10:38 AM

723 posts, read 2,193,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Come here, have a baby, and you never need to worry about working for a living or the immigration laws again.
You do realize that an "anchor baby" cannot aid their parents in getting citizenry until they are the rip old age of 21 rite?

And you will still need to "worry" in most cases considering there is a cap on this sort of activity:

Quote:
According to Politifact, “Having a child can also help an undocumented parent qualify for relief from deportation, but only 4,000 unauthorized immigrants can receive such status per year, and the alien has to have been in the U.S. for at least 10 years.” This is not exactly an anchor.
Taken From: Dispelling “Anchor Baby” Myths

Old 04-15-2012, 10:40 AM

50,289 posts, read 47,043,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emerald_octane View Post
You do realize that an "anchor baby" cannot aid their parents in getting citizenry until they are the rip old age of 21 rite?
But, it can aid them from being deported.

Old 04-15-2012, 10:42 AM

723 posts, read 2,193,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
But, it can aid them from being deported.
I edited my last post but i'll repost for this:

Quote:
According to Politifact, “Having a child can also help an undocumented parent qualify for relief from deportation, but only 4,000 unauthorized immigrants can receive such status per year, and the alien has to have been in the U.S. for at least 10 years.” This is not exactly an anchor.
Quite a gamble.

Old 04-15-2012, 10:42 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emerald_octane View Post

And you will still need to "worry" in most cases considering there is a cap on this sort of activity:

But they will be given preference seeing they've been here and their children are citizens.

And why shouldn't they just wait it out. If they haven't committed a felony then they don't need to worry about deportation. The DHS is only focusing on criminals with felonies.

Old 04-15-2012, 10:44 AM

29,218 posts, read 22,365,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Or Peruvian, Guatamalan, Honduran, Colombian, Puerto Rican etc.

Or a native born American citizen from Puerto Rico.

Old 04-15-2012, 10:44 AM

16,911 posts, read 10,591,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I look at what the person in front of me puts on the checkout conveyor belt. I like looking to see if there's patterns. And by golly I see them. Not being judgmental..just curious if I can pick out patterns.

Big boned people (going to be PC here) buy a lot of preprocessed frozen food.
Asians buy a lot of fresh veggies/fruits and huge packages of meat.
Latinos buy lots of bread/tortillas and sauces.
Budget minded people pick and choose what to put first on the belt and usually buy store brand items. They hold back the extras and have the cashier add one at a time til the magic number appears on the register and call it good.

And when there's a "sale" of soda..3 12-packs for $12 I see lots of folks stocking up. I figure they got suckered into thinking they got a good deal. Normally the 12 packs go for $3.99 and they are now getting them for $4.00 each ON SALE !
It is interesting to see what people are buying. The buying habits of people in good shape differ tremendously from people who are not exactly in good shape. It's sad to see what "big boned" people buy with their equally big boned three and four year old children in tow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies