Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should one be required to be fluent in the English language before becoming a USA citizen?
Yes 134 61.47%
No, but they should be required to speak at least a little English 43 19.72%
No, there should be no language requirement 38 17.43%
Don't know / Undecided / No opinion 3 1.38%
Voters: 218. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2012, 07:31 PM

1,759 posts, read 2,028,585 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
In this country only Spanish is being pushed and it is directly due to the millions of illegal aliens from south of our border here.
/thread!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2012, 07:32 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,473,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
I get the analogy. I just disagree with it.

Just because I don't have the same opinion as you doesn't mean I don't understand what you're saying.

I think we can all live just fine pressing 1 for English on the phone and overhearing Spanish occasionally.

Yea, you count

Old 04-16-2012, 07:33 PM

30,251 posts, read 23,719,256 times
Quote:
I don’t know why you’re arguing with me about this. I already have mentioned that I personally would learn a language if I moved to another country. I have. I learned Italian in 3 weeks just so I could enjoy two summers there. I learned Spanish so I could go to Spain, and Russian so I could go to Russia. I learned a little Arabic for a 2-week vacation to Morocco. I’m not arguing about whether someone should learn a language to go to a new country—I already agree that it’s a good idea, and it is already what I would do and have done.

But do I tell other people how to live their lives? No. That’s where I draw the line. I don’t think anyone has that right, whether it’s telling people who they’re allowed to marry, or what language they have to speak, or what religious garb they are or are not allowed to wear, etc. I just won’t stand for any law that tells people how to live.
The reason I responded to you is because you said this:

Quote:
Do you see why such a law is maybe insensitive to people who don't have a natural language-learning ability?
No, I do not see it as insensitive, I see them coming here and not even trying as insensitive.

Almost a year ago I left Miami but I still remember a whole heck of a lot and I was disgusted by the, "oh let's just do everything in Spanish to make them feel at home" b.s. that it got to the point of them HAVING AN ATTITUDE if you spoke fricken ENGLISH in your own damn country!

You come here, learn some English. You have to know English to pass the test for citizenship so to me, what is insensitive is making excuses for people NOT to try.

Old 04-16-2012, 07:36 PM

1,759 posts, read 2,028,585 times
The question some of you need to ask is, At what point are we simply rewarding laziness?
I'll let that process for a bit...

Old 04-16-2012, 07:41 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,543,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
Should one have to speak English, or do so fluently, to become an American citizen?
Duh!

If it had been, most of us would not be Americans. If it becomes a requirement, it should apply to ALL Americans. Judging from what I see on a daily basis, many would have to lose their citizenship.

Old 04-16-2012, 08:11 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,313,780 times
Quote:
I get the analogy. I just disagree with it.

Just because I don't have the same opinion as you doesn't mean I don't understand what you're saying.

I think we can all live just fine pressing 1 for English on the phone and overhearing Spanish occasionally.

Not when this press 1 for English and press 2 for Spanish is directly due to the influx of millions of illegal aliens. As I already pointed out, most Hispanic and Cuban-Americans know how to speak English so no need for press 2 for Spanish.

If you disagree with the melting pot perhaps you are in the wrong country then because that is what this country is about.

Old 04-16-2012, 09:47 PM

22,653 posts, read 24,575,170 times
Nope, let in EVERY 3rd-9th world refugee that wants in, zero requirements for citizenship..........cannibals and zombies are welcome............then we will become the paradise the liberals envision.

I think that a zombie apocalypse is possible???

Old 04-16-2012, 10:05 PM

10,449 posts, read 12,456,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Not when this press 1 for English and press 2 for Spanish is directly due to the influx of millions of illegal aliens. As I already pointed out, most Hispanic and Cuban-Americans know how to speak English so no need for press 2 for Spanish.

If you disagree with the melting pot perhaps you are in the wrong country then because that is what this country is about.
Even by your definition I've "assimilated" because I speak English. I didn't realize that you got to define what makes someone American, though. Lol.

I wanted to understand what people were saying when they spoke in Spanish, so I learned Spanish. If you feel left out, learn Spanish. Problem solved. There are plenty of countries with diglossic situations and they do just fine. If America becomes a bilingual nation, I don't see how that will harm any of us. If non-English speakers want to learn English, they can. If they don't want to, that's up to them--just like it's up to you not to learn Spanish (or any other language).

I don't support having an attitude about not knowing Spanish either, but I don't support having an attitude about not knowing English. Why can't we just all lose the attitude? Just respect the fact that people live differently from you and let them be, regardless of what language you happen to speak or not speak.

Old 04-16-2012, 10:21 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,271,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
Should one have to speak English, or do so fluently, to become an American citizen?
I'd like to see US citizens who post on CD be reasonably fluent in English.
Proper use of grammar, punctuation, spelling, etc. would be quite refreshing.

Why don't people start with their own command of the English language before looking at others?
Or is that too difficult?

Old 04-16-2012, 11:09 PM

1,692 posts, read 1,959,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
What if you are deaf, dumb and blind?
Bingo. And who judges "fluency" anyway? What does it mean to be fluent?

Quote:
I recently traveled to Amsterdam and I simply couldn't believe the number of things that were in English. Even on public transport, announcements were in Dutch, then English. Nobody seems to have a problem with it there. Likewise, in many countries around the world, there are tonnes of English loan-words. Mexico is full of them. As much as some complain about the hispanization of the US, there is also an equal Americanization occurring in many nations in Latin America. Embrace it or be left behind. And besides, I know this country is the fattest it's even been, but is pressing 1 for English really such an exhausting task? Canada has been doing it since 1-800 numbers existed, and as far as I can tell, it's a non-issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies