Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should one be required to be fluent in the English language before becoming a USA citizen?
Yes 134 61.47%
No, but they should be required to speak at least a little English 43 19.72%
No, there should be no language requirement 38 17.43%
Don't know / Undecided / No opinion 3 1.38%
Voters: 218. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2012, 04:20 AM

4,213 posts, read 3,759,540 times

Advertisements

Here is a quote from Teddy Roosevelt. We need more Presidents like him.

"In the first place we should insist that the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equity with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace or origin. But this is predicated upon the man's becoming an American and nothing but an American. There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag, and this excludes the red flag which symbolizes all wars against liberty and civilization, just as much as it excludes any flag of a nation to which we are hostile. We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people." Theodore Roosevelt in a letter to the American Defense Society in 1919. "Every immigrant who comes here should be required within five years to learn English or to leave the country," he said in a statement to the Kansas City Star in 1918. "English should be the only language taught or used in the public schools."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2012, 07:30 AM

14,306 posts, read 13,317,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
Even by your definition I've "assimilated" because I speak English. I didn't realize that you got to define what makes someone American, though. Lol.

I wanted to understand what people were saying when they spoke in Spanish, so I learned Spanish. If you feel left out, learn Spanish. Problem solved. There are plenty of countries with diglossic situations and they do just fine. If America becomes a bilingual nation, I don't see how that will harm any of us. If non-English speakers want to learn English, they can. If they don't want to, that's up to them--just like it's up to you not to learn Spanish (or any other language).

I don't support having an attitude about not knowing Spanish either, but I don't support having an attitude about not knowing English. Why can't we just all lose the attitude? Just respect the fact that people live differently from you and let them be, regardless of what language you happen to speak or not speak.
Where did I define what it means to be an American other than stating that English is our national language. Stop claiming things that I haven't said!

No, I don't wish that we become a bi-lingual nation. What the hell for? I couldn't care less what someone is saying in Spanish so why should I learn it? Here is where you go wrong. You don't think that people who chose to live in this country shouldn't have to speak English. They why the hell come here then if they don't want to be a part of our society? If they want to live differently as in not learning English and speaking a foreign tongue then they shoud move to a country where their native tongue is the same as theirs. I find your attitude to be very anti-American so with that I will bid you adieu as I have no futher need to debate someone like you. In fact, I won't even be able to read your posts anymore so don't bother to reply to me.

Old 01-05-2016, 02:38 PM

1 posts, read 273 times
I am doing a report on this, and much of the research that I have been conducting for my 9th grade social studies project, has been telling me that fluency should be a requirement, for these man reasons; It is vital to know the language of the dominant language of the country, in order to live there full time. This makes sense as the majority of the population in the U.S. speaks it. Also, knowledge of the primary language spoken in a country is a necessary skill in order to integrate and become a contributing citizen of that country. Finally, in order to unite into one country, everyone within the country must speak the same language. All of this is based on my research, scientific proven facts, the public's opinions, as well as my personal input on this topic.

Old 01-05-2016, 02:48 PM

5,898 posts, read 3,899,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangman66 View Post
Here is a quote from Teddy Roosevelt. We need more Presidents like him.
He is too liberal for most conservatives today. He wouldn't even make it out of the primaries.

Old 01-05-2016, 02:49 PM

62,938 posts, read 29,134,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryanm1012 View Post
I am doing a report on this, and much of the research that I have been conducting for my 9th grade social studies project, has been telling me that fluency should be a requirement, for these man reasons; It is vital to know the language of the dominant language of the country, in order to live there full time. This makes sense as the majority of the population in the U.S. speaks it. Also, knowledge of the primary language spoken in a country is a necessary skill in order to integrate and become a contributing citizen of that country. Finally, in order to unite into one country, everyone within the country must speak the same language. All of this is based on my research, scientific proven facts, the public's opinions, as well as my personal input on this topic.

Agreed. However, I don't care what language one chooses to speak in their own homes but when out in mainstream show respect by speaking the de facto national language of this country which is English. It makes for a cohesive society instead of divided one.

Old 01-05-2016, 04:19 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,138,783 times
Absolutely. They can't do much here without knowing English. It doesn't have to be native fluent, and accents are fine, but be able to handle yourself.

However they should not be pressured into disowning their native language. I love it when I encounter people speaking the languages I know, and the country could use a little more exposure to different languages. But know English too. That is a bare minimum.

Old 01-05-2016, 04:24 PM

2,395 posts, read 3,012,077 times
If we separated voting rights from citizenship, I'd say you can become a citizen without an English fluency test, but you should not be able to vote without being able to speak English fluently. I do not believe you can become adequately aware of the issues or have a thorough knowledge of the candidates without being fluent in English. In other words, you can't be a fully informed and educated voter.

As the system currently stands, I'd be in favor of English fluency being a requirement for citizenship.

Old 01-05-2016, 04:39 PM

35,693 posts, read 21,049,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Uh, Puerto Ricans are Americans citizens. As are Hawaiians, some of whom speak primarily pidgin.
Asking as many PRicans barely speak English- going to make them all- illegals??
again I will post ----language for adults is really NOT an easy task- and many foreigners did not have great schooling if any ---but tell me, how many of you can learn a new language??

Old 01-05-2016, 04:48 PM

9,848 posts, read 8,280,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
Should one have to speak English, or do so fluently, to become an American citizen?
Below the age of 55 that is already law, but the interviewers let most in anyway.

Old 01-05-2016, 05:34 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,731,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleRain_1 View Post
Once upon a time not so long ago, basic English was a requirement in order to immigrate to this country even on a temporary basis. Now it's not even required to be in this country legally in order to rape and rob the taxpayers of services and benefits in a foreign language.

That being said, yes I think we should return to the good old days where speaking English should be a requirement before the tower of babble we live in now reaches the point of no return.
When did the US ever impose a requirement of basic English to immigrate to the US even on a temporary basis? That would have excluded most Europeans.

Were slaves and indentured servants required to know basic English?

There have always been exceptions for citizenship. My inlaws immigrated as displaced persons from Eastern Europe in 1950. They never learned to speak or understand English. They worked, paid taxes and eventually owned property. They also were allowed to use an interpreter for the citizenship interview and test.

The current law was enacted in 1990 and allows those who have been legal residents for at least 20 years and are at least 50 to use an interpreter. Those age 65 and older also can take a short test.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies