Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2012, 04:57 PM

8,396 posts, read 9,442,882 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
Do the business owners own the areas where free speech is to be banned, or would those be public areas?

Business owners are not the government, in any case. Street preachers can holler in church parking lots. Maybe...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2012, 05:02 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
If those people are blockig other rights to use that sidewalk :I see it has a violatio of other freedom of movement.Side walks are for a specific purpose. Same as blockig a drive way;it for egree and exit to the business. They are providing a area for freedom of speech ;so not stopig that. Just as i don't want OWS blockig anyones use of public park by violatig the rule as a Chrisitan I do not wnat other Christians blockig sidewalks, Most staes even have regualtions i controllig pickets and demonstrations to protect civil order and to guard others freedoms o public porperties.There is no absolute freedom of speech; even in governemnt meetings.

Old 04-16-2012, 05:02 PM

1,661 posts, read 1,393,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomexico View Post
Your example demonstrates how one group believes their rights trump the rights of other citizens. Similar situations have been litigated and caselaw is clear.

If you're going to spout-off constantly on alleged abuses of personal rights, I think you should get yourself enrolled into some constitutional law courses, and some on U.S. history so that you understand current events and how to contextualize them.

I suspect from the wide body of your postings that you're unhappy living in the USA, if yoiu do live here. Any thoughts about where you may be happier? I'd be interested in learning. Thanks.
He's unhappy in general, and unloads his poison into this forum.

Old 04-16-2012, 05:09 PM

1,610 posts, read 1,782,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Beebe View Post
He's unhappy in general, and unloads his poison into this forum.
Free speech should be banned, you can't go around speaking your mind on every issue. He's probably a mad old timer

Old 04-16-2012, 08:16 PM

438 posts, read 947,054 times
I don't think prostheletizing should be banned in public spaces, even though I find it extremely annoying. As long as people aren't blocking walkways or impeding people's movements, it's usually not a big deal. I don't think people should be passing out flyers and stopping shoppers in front of businesses who ask them not to do so, however. It should be up to the business to decide if they can do that.

If the street preachers were just speaking instead of harassing people, it wouldn't get them so much negative backlash. When I was in college, we had a problem with people doing this around campus. The college eventually designated an area for the street preachers to go so they couldn't follow us across campus screaming about sodomy and aborted babies. Even then, they would single out and yell at passersby, calling us sluts in need of redeeming, etc. It was incredibly obnoxious and I tried to avoid all the "free speech zones" when I knew these people were there. That's the kind of behavior that I think should be banned since it is basically harassment.

Old 04-17-2012, 01:43 AM

30,353 posts, read 51,942,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
The lesson - Occupiers, OK. Christians, not OK.

Occupiers have unions and teams of lawyers at their disposal - high risk, low reward.
Christians usually don't fight back - low risk, high reward.

It's easier and low risk to bully one Christian than a bunch of Occupiers.
When was the last time a bunch of street preachers got pepper-sprayed? I think they're doing a fine job bullying the Occupiers too...

UC Davis Protestors Pepper Sprayed - YouTube

Old 04-17-2012, 01:52 AM

13,887 posts, read 13,671,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
I was going to say the same thing. The business owners have absolutely NO control over what happens outside their establishment. NONE!
Do you not realize that land comes with the purchase of brick and mortar? You know...........parking lots, grassy areas, etc.

Nope, guess you didn't know that.

Old 04-17-2012, 07:50 AM

45,582 posts, read 27,187,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEETC View Post
I question this. Christianity did not become one of the largest religions in the world by not fighting back.

[the fight is definitely there - for better or worse]
Christianity does not increase by fighting, violence, or intimidation.

Old 04-17-2012, 07:54 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,818,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
I was told by one of your friends in this thread that I needed to study some American History and the Constitution. Why would it be necessary for the blogger who wrote that link you didn't read to spell out something like that?
The blogger doesn't need to know anything. Such people only need an audience. It is the audience that I worry about, hence people like you, that they should try to educate self.

Quote:
That was the least important part of my post.
You know how it works...
I know how it works. You start defining "most important" and "least important" parts of your posts when responded to. So, which part(s) in this post do you consider trollish versus important? First sentence is, clearly, least important (trollish). How about second? Third? Fourth? Fifth?
Quote:
The lesson - Occupiers, OK. Christians, not OK.

Occupiers have unions and teams of lawyers at their disposal - high risk, low reward.
Christians usually don't fight back - low risk, high reward.

It's easier and low risk to bully one Christian than a bunch of Occupiers.

Old 04-17-2012, 08:02 AM

45,582 posts, read 27,187,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Haven't the occupiers been removed from areas for a variety of reasons including their interference with businesses? I know the ones in NY are allowed to be removed from sidewalks, but not other public places like parks.

If it was a difference religious group, like Muslims, or Hare Khrishnas, do you think this ordinance wouldn't have been passed?
Occupiers were removed after how long? Weeks? Months?

Islam? Probably no ordinance since they are somewhat feared and they have their groups to claim racism and/or religious intolerance.

It depends on who it is that is protesting and how much risk is incurred by taking up action to stop the group.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies