Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2012, 03:28 PM

51 posts, read 52,834 times

Advertisements

she did such a great job! She was a cashier, and was hard to make out what she was saying. She had a smile, worked so hard, and remembered me from two weeks prior. It literally brought a tear to my eye, that some one with such a disability would still go to work everyday, and be in good spirits. For all the phoniness, laziness, and excuse making in society today , this restored my faith in humanity for a day. Today was a good day!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2012, 03:33 PM

24,869 posts, read 24,342,306 times
What it makes me think of is how sad it is that people with severe problems like that have to work to have health insurance when they should be taking care of themselves.

I have seen many people squandering their physical and mental ability to work, humans are lazy by nature. Our bodies work and evolved over millions of years to pick up what food you can as you go along, pig out whenever possible, and then be lazy.

That is not how modern man has made the world, and I'm not saying thats all bad, but it is not our nature.

But many of these people, elderly, were retired, etc, are having to work to pay for insurance and other things that they need to keep them alive. Working their entire lives up to the point of necessity isn't good enough, you've got to work beyond the bodies ability.

Good for her, but I doubt she is working to stay a useful member of society, she is working because if she doesn't, she'll die from lack of care.

Old 04-16-2012, 03:46 PM

1,027 posts, read 1,619,099 times
good for her, I'm sure it beats staying in all day watching tv..

Old 04-16-2012, 04:37 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,409,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
What it makes me think of is how sad it is that people with severe problems like that have to work to have health insurance when they should be taking care of themselves.

I have seen many people squandering their physical and mental ability to work, humans are lazy by nature. Our bodies work and evolved over millions of years to pick up what food you can as you go along, pig out whenever possible, and then be lazy.

That is not how modern man has made the world, and I'm not saying thats all bad, but it is not our nature.

But many of these people, elderly, were retired, etc, are having to work to pay for insurance and other things that they need to keep them alive. Working their entire lives up to the point of necessity isn't good enough, you've got to work beyond the bodies ability.

Good for her, but I doubt she is working to stay a useful member of society, she is working because if she doesn't, she'll die from lack of care.

Yes good for her, but i disagree with you a bit. People and i know some like her, work of course for the care, but these people are magnificant in how they think, they do not want to be a burden on anyone, or get assistance.

If they can they get pride in doing for themselves, and i admire that.

I do not addmire those who can work, but don't and blame it on this person or that person, or the rich, or whatever they can. Therefore they do believe in taking from a system, that does makes it easy for them.
That is what i despice, and stop blaming troubles on those who have more then you, that ain't the problem.

Old 04-16-2012, 04:39 PM

2,729 posts, read 5,355,975 times
Quote:
Anyone with a disability can draw disability. Duhhh...

Most people who have legitimate handicaps actually WANT to work, while lazy people make up excuses not to.

Old 04-16-2012, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by california-jewel View Post
Yes good for her, but i disagree with you a bit. People and i know some like her, work of course for the care, but these people are magnificant in how they think, they do not want to be a burden on anyone, or get assistance.

If they can they get pride in doing for themselves, and i admire that.

I do not addmire those who can work, but don't and blame it on this person or that person, or the rich, or whatever they can. Therefore they do believe in taking from a system, that does makes it easy for them.
That is what i despice, and stop blaming troubles on those who have more then you, that ain't the problem.
I can find no fault in what you've said. I mentioned in my post that many of these people would rather work then do nothing. I know people who just love to work, my Grandfather being one. He retired when he was 72, finally. Now since his retirement, he's gone down hill quickly. Now, I'm not saying he shouldn't have quit, his knees were already bad (now he can barely walk), and he doesn't do work well around the house anymore. But to think that someone in his condition would have to work as a greeter at wal-mart, and this does happen, simply for insurance if they can get it, or to pay for their prescriptions which aren't covered, etc.

I hope this woman is just working for her, but not because she has to work or she'll die.

Old 04-16-2012, 04:41 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,806,587 times
Well, when I was walking outside today to sign some papers... a guy was walking down the sidewalk and saw me and said "Give me some money so I can buy a hot dog".... I couldn't believe it, the guy looked like he was dressed to go to work and to go out and demand that I give him money so he can go eat a hot dog... I politely told him no...

Old 04-16-2012, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big George View Post
Anyone with a disability can draw disability. Duhhh...

Most people who have legitimate handicaps actually WANT to work, while lazy people make up excuses not to.
Yes, but sometimes it isn't enough for the care that they have to have in order to live. Prescriptions, for instance, some people can't afford the pills, even though the doctor said OK on them.

Lots of elderly Americans are working simply for insurance, I hope this isn't the case for her. I appreciate her effort, and think she is a great inspiration. But how sad is it if she HAS to work, in order to get medication that would keep her alive, or stable enough to work?

Old 04-16-2012, 05:28 PM

10,449 posts, read 12,439,563 times
Quote:

I wouldn't make that assumption. I work in spite of my disabilities because I want to. I could collect SSI and get Medicare but I prefer to earn my own living.

A lot of disabled people do want to work and make something of themselves.

And working at Walmart is not all disabled people strive for.

I'm blind, have a job as a translator, and am in school with the goal of becoming an interpreter for deaf blind people.

Among my friends, I have...

...one that is deaf and in a wheelchair, and she just made it onto the Dean's list with one of highest GPA's ever, and has a job on campus...

...one that is deaf and in a wheelchair, getting a double Master's degree in hearing sciences and linguistics...

...one that is deaf and blind and working on a graduate degree in deaf studies...

...one that is deaf and blind and is getting a master's in psychology, after serving as the president of an advocacy-related organization for deaf blind people...

...one that is deaf and in a wheelchair, who has a graduate degree in linguistics, and is going to have a killer job at the front of research for augmentative speech programs, and is planning on getting his Ph.D.

My counselor is deaf blind and has a graduate degree in social work.

I don't know if you can tell by now, but I go to the only liberal arts university that is completely in sign language and geared towards the deaf and hard of hearing (with a 5% acceptance rate for hearing students who want to go into deaf-related fields such as sign language interpretation and deaf education).

Believe it or not, some of us not only want to work, but we dream big!

Last edited by nimchimpsky; 04-16-2012 at 05:39 PM..

Old 04-16-2012, 05:34 PM

30,226 posts, read 23,643,056 times
Quote:

Wait a minute.

It's not ok to make assumptions there:

So I get stuck behind a WIC woman today...

But it's ok to make assumptions here?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies