Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2012, 06:09 PM

1,661 posts, read 1,392,994 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
Since you "don't live in fear" I suppose you don't wear your seatbelt nor have a fire extinquisher at home (much less in your vehicle). After all you're not one of the nuts who is paranoid about car crashes or fires, nor have a chicken little complex

"Life is good when you're normal." Or, alternatively stated: "ignorance is bliss.
People who feel the need to always be armed are disturbed. Period.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2012, 06:20 PM

14,848 posts, read 8,206,249 times
Quote:
The Gallup poll from last year showed that there is far more support now for gun rights that even in the 1950's. When it comes to guns, gun-rights, and self-defense, these are the good old days.

Its funny that you say that. I used to be pretty anti-gun, but I've really warmed up to guns in recent years. A friend of mine has had guns since forever, and he has a concealed carry, and I've gone out shooting with him before. And I've been thinking about getting a concealed-carry permit here in Oklahoma, and buying a small gun to carry with me. I hope I would never have to use it. But I've been in some pretty scary situations.

I have this obsession with freedom for some reason. Like, I feel like I should be able to basically do anything I want, anytime I want. And so sometimes I just go walking around in the middle of the night, or riding my bicycle or motorcycle. And I've had some issues with people yelling at me while riding my bicycle around at night through certain neighborhoods, like running out in the street telling me to stop(yeah ****ing right I'm going to stop). And then there's unchained and stray dogs.

I feel like, if everyone carried a gun, people would tend to be more polite and respectful. I get tired of rude people thinking they can do anything they want. And while I don't want society devolving into a constant lawless shootout. I do think more gun ownership would take us in a better direction. I honestly despise the idea of having to lock my doors. And I generally only lock my doors when there is going to be no one in my home.

If there weren't disrespectful dickheads in the world, I would have more freedom.

Old 04-16-2012, 06:25 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,927,795 times
Quote:
Since you "don't live in fear" I suppose you don't wear your seatbelt nor have a fire extinquisher at home (much less in your vehicle). After all you're not one of the nuts who is paranoid about car crashes or fires, nor have a chicken little complex

"Life is good when you're normal." Or, alternatively stated: "ignorance is bliss.
I suppose he doesn't lock his front door or car, since he doesn't live in fear

Old 04-16-2012, 06:27 PM

1,661 posts, read 1,392,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
Its funny that you say that. I used to be pretty anti-gun, but I've really warmed up to guns in recent years. A friend of mine has had guns since forever, and he has a concealed carry, and I've gone out shooting with him before. And I've been thinking about getting a concealed-carry permit here in Oklahoma, and buying a small gun to carry with me. I hope I would never have to use it. But I've been in some pretty scary situations.

I have this obsession with freedom for some reason. Like, I feel like I should be able to basically do anything I want, anytime I want. And so sometimes I just go walking around in the middle of the night, or riding my bicycle or motorcycle. And I've had some issues with people yelling at me while riding my bicycle around at night through certain neighborhoods, like running out in the street telling me to stop(yeah ****ing right I'm going to stop). And then there's unchained and stray dogs.

I feel like, if everyone carried a gun, people would tend to be more polite and respectful. I get tired of rude people thinking they can do anything they want. And while I don't want society devolving into a constant lawless shootout. I do think more gun ownership would take us in a better direction. I honestly despise the idea of having to lock my doors. And I generally only lock my doors when there is going to be no one in my home.

If there weren't disrespectful dickheads in the world, I would have more freedom.
Sure, flashing a piece gets respect. And also gets you shot and/or hit with an assault charge. You cannot just pull a gun on anyone when you feel disrespected.

I say this in all sincerity: Grow Up.

Old 04-16-2012, 06:30 PM

6,933 posts, read 8,492,393 times
That there is, in this particular poll, such strong support for self-defense when attacked ... should come as no surprise. To anyone. I don't think that's a question that would ever be in doubt. That the NRA is said to be held in that high of esteem, or support, by some segments of those polled does surprise me. I don't doubt, though, that someone might appear on the forum with a poll or polls which point in a different direction. Thanks for posting the information.

Old 04-16-2012, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Beebe View Post
Sure, flashing a piece gets respect. And also gets you shot and/or hit with an assault charge. You cannot just pull a gun on anyone when you feel disrespected.

I'm not arguing that flashing a piece gets someone respect.

I'm arguing that, if people believed everyone around them was packing heat, that they would be more respectful by default.

If you don't understand what I'm saying, watch this video....

Pink Guns for Women - YouTube

Old 04-16-2012, 06:40 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,884,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Beebe View Post

I think those who can't debate civilly need to grow up.

Old 04-16-2012, 06:45 PM

My friend always said "An armed society is a polite society". And that kind of went over my head for years and years. Then it finally stuck once I became an adult and realized, there are just bad people in the world, and there really is nothing that can be done about it really. I think the saying goes. God made Adam and Eve... Samuel Colt made them equal.

My mother had four daughters and me, and as I said before, I believe that I should have the right to walk around at night on public streets. It is something that would have never been acceptable for my sisters or my nieces, for obvious reasons. And I think that is incredibly unfair.

Getting rid of guns doesn't fix that problem. Passing laws doesn't fix that problem. The only solution is to stop people from behaving like animals.

In my view, if you Ford Beebe, had a gun. And I had a gun, and all my sisters and nieces had a gun. And basically everyone else in this country also had a gun. Then it is much more likely that my sisters and nieces would be allowed to walk around at night without being attacked.

That is a practical solution. What is your solution? Stay inside at night, keeping your doors locked, and your phone nearby so you can call the police and hope they get there in time?

Old 04-16-2012, 06:51 PM

10,581 posts, read 9,781,638 times
(duplicate post, sorry)

Old 04-16-2012, 06:52 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,405,055 times
government and has spent millions and millions attempting gun bans.
its not bek they are only thinking of u.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies