Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2012, 07:32 PM

1,765 posts, read 2,197,114 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
I hope Mitt Romney is elected and abolishes HUD. Section 8 is an awful program and needs to be dismantled. Nice areas are turning into slums because of Section 8 residents not to mention crime and school quality deteriorates.
I'll bet my last dollar Mitt Rot-Ney never does a single thing about low income housing, he'll be too busy helping the rich get richer...and if he does...well than...I guess I'll be living on the streets because I lost the bet...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2012, 09:13 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Zymers View Post
More complicated formula than that. Rent + utilities could not exceed 30% of income. Six months rent portion was easier to pay.

Was also on disability. Not a big income with which to pay full rent.
Surprisingly there are few people who have problems giving housing help to the disabled.

It's everyone else. There is an entire industry that has sprung up around gaming the system and getting people to qualify for government help. Usually it's called "advocacy" but really it's "now here is what you have to do...". It's kind of disgusting.

Old 04-18-2012, 09:22 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,637,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Surprisingly there are few people who have problems giving housing help to the disabled.

It's everyone else. There is an entire industry that has sprung up around gaming the system and getting people to qualify for government help. Usually it's called "advocacy" but really it's "now here is what you have to do...". It's kind of disgusting.
It depends on the disability. I posted earlier on this thread about a woman in her mid 30s who got a doctor to say she was agoraphobic and was on CA state disablity for years.

Somehow this poor creature was able to fly to Amseterdam from LA and spend four weeks in Europe, but couldn't hold a job due to her "disability".

She lived in the same apt building as a friend of mine and the whole time he lived there(about 4 yrs) she never worked.

Now I don't know too much about being agoraphobic, but I pictured someone who stayed behind closed doors and was fearful of interaction.

Anytime there was a BBQ at the community pool she was there.

Old 04-18-2012, 09:25 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
It depends on the disability. I posted earlier on this thread about a woman in her mid 30s who got a doctor to say she was agoraphobic and was on CA state disablity for years.

Somehow this poor creature was able to fly to Amseterdam from LA and spend four weeks in Europe, but couldn't hold a job due to her "disability".

She lived in the same apt building as a friend of mine and the whole time he lived there(about 4 yrs) she never worked.

Now I don't know too much about being agoraphobic, but I pictured someone who stayed behind closed doors and was fearful of interaction.

Anytime there was a BBQ at the community pool she was there.
My mom was agoraphobic for many years, fortunately she was a SAHM and my dad supported us. She couldn't have worked, but she didn't fly anywhere either. We couldn't make it to the end of the street in our car without her breaking down.
I know of a woman who got disability for her sleep apenea right after she was denied a bunch of time off to do stuff with her kids. I know people game the system.

It can take a long time to even get section 8, in my area the waiting list is many years long so I'd like to think by the time some folks got to the top of the list they won't need it anymore. Alas.

Old 04-18-2012, 09:31 PM

723 posts, read 2,193,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Zymers View Post
Was also on disability. Not a big income with which to pay full rent.

Look see now I feel like a douche

Old 04-18-2012, 09:44 PM

69 posts, read 67,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emerald_octane View Post
Look see now I feel like a douche
Quite alright

Old 04-18-2012, 09:45 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,637,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
My mom was agoraphobic for many years, fortunately she was a SAHM and my dad supported us. She couldn't have worked, but she didn't fly anywhere either. We couldn't make it to the end of the street in our car without her breaking down.
I know of a woman who got disability for her sleep apenea right after she was denied a bunch of time off to do stuff with her kids. I know people game the system.

It can take a long time to even get section 8, in my area the waiting list is many years long so I'd like to think by the time some folks got to the top of the list they won't need it anymore. Alas.
Sorry your family went through that, that's completely different.

This person just didn't want to work, she would openly admit she just didn't like working(most people don't but they have to eat).

It was aggravating to see a healthy person in their mid 30s scamming the system like that.

And it's people like this that have helped bankrupt CA.

Old 04-18-2012, 09:47 PM

867 posts, read 498,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
So people with dead-end minimum wage jobs are just out of luck?
No, just out of ambition.

Old 04-18-2012, 09:56 PM

23,561 posts, read 18,707,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back to NE View Post
Isn't a family that has to foreclose on their house worse for the country than 100 Section 8 folks?
No, not in the long run at the very least.

Old 04-18-2012, 10:04 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,458,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatles4evr View Post
No, just out of ambition.

How so? Going back to school was NOT an option (no money), so what would an "ambitious" person do?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies