Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2012, 09:21 AM

160 posts, read 311,081 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
Your putting words in my mouth.

I said I would speak the language of the country I am living in if I knew the language. Its common courtesy.

I don't have a problem with others speaking another language.
Its about hostility and outright refusal to speak English when they know it.

Its insulting
Even if you learned Spanish, English would remain your native language. If you were in Mexico among other native English-speakers you'd speak to them in Spanish? Doubtful. Humans don't behave that way, it isn't a question of "common courtesy". People will speak to each other in their native languages not because they're hostile or disrespectful but because of human nature.

It's telling that you perceive choosing to speak another language besides English as hostile and insulting. Bilingual Hispanics shouldn't speak Spanish because they know English? I'm not sure what your point is here.

Old 04-23-2012, 09:35 AM

7,923 posts, read 8,845,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Is that why everywhere I go they are speaking exclusively in Spanish? Is that assimilation?
Not sure where you go??????????????
I live in Florida which has a huge hispanic population.......... many are from Puerto Rico and are American Citizens, others had family move here and are legal Citizens........ i find that most Hispanics do indeed make every effort to speak English. I very rarely have a problem with speaking to Hispanics as once i tell them i speak english... they talk to me in English. I also have found Hispanics to be good family orientated, law abiding individuals, polite and really nice people.
Too many here seem to be looking for reasons to put Hispanics down and do not take any time to get to know them or even realise most are great people, either born here as USA Citizens or are legal residents........ we could learn a lot from the Hispanics here about family values and hard work.... Hispanics do NOT have to prove themselves any more than any other Citizen or legal resident here.

Old 04-23-2012, 09:36 AM

9,240 posts, read 8,666,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aggrocrag View Post
Even if you learned Spanish, English would remain your native language. If you were in Mexico among other native English-speakers you'd speak to them in Spanish? Doubtful. Humans don't behave that way, it isn't a question of "common courtesy". People will speak to each other in their native languages not because they're hostile or disrespectful but because of human nature.

It's telling that you perceive choosing to speak another language besides English as hostile and insulting. Bilingual Hispanics shouldn't speak Spanish because they know English? I'm not sure what your point is here.

Quote:
I have traveled a lot and as an example I know French & Mandarin. While in Paris, I spoke French. While in China I spoke Mandarin. I made the effort to blend into the country.

Quote:
It's telling that you perceive choosing to speak another language besides English as hostile and insulting. Bilingual Hispanics shouldn't speak Spanish because they know English? I'm not sure what your point is here

Did you see the video? Was it insulting?

Old 04-23-2012, 10:05 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,813,019 times
Quote:
I have traveled a lot and as an example I know French & Mandarin. While in Paris, I spoke French. While in China I spoke Mandarin. I made the effort to blend into the country.
Why did you do that in France and China? Let me tell you why... because it was your choice, for your convenience.

Old 04-23-2012, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Why did you do that in France and China? Let me tell you why... because it was your choice, for your convenience.
Do you think its respectful or disrespectful if I had done the opposite knowing the language the people speak in those countries?

Old 04-23-2012, 10:50 AM

160 posts, read 311,081 times
Quote:
It's easy not to speak English in China when you're the only English speaker in a 50 mile radius. But if you came across communities of Americans in France or China what language would you speak to them in? Would you speak Mandarin to Bob from Ohio who's living in China now?

Quote:
Did you see the video? Was it insulting?
Yes, just saw the video, I don't see that as insulting like the oversensitive Texas senator did. Maybe the man's English was heavily accented and that made him uncomfortable in a formal setting, maybe he felt that he could express his views better in his native language, etc. Again, it's telling that speaking another language is perceived as insulting by the senator and yourself.

I'll reiterate again, Hispanics who grew up in the US speak English and use it as their primary language. The problems with not learning English arise only with recently arrived immigrants or immigrants who came to the US as adults. Hispanics who grew up here and went to school here all speak English but nevermind all that - "hispanic assimilation has failed"

Old 04-23-2012, 10:55 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,813,019 times
Quote:
Do you think its respectful or disrespectful if I had done the opposite knowing the language the people speak in those countries?
It would be neither. Even though I live in Texas, I can barely make heads and tails out of Spanish. And people have approached me speaking Spanish, and I've simply re-directed them, telling I don't speak or understand it. It would be pathetic of me to feel disrespected. If anything, I felt bad for the person because it ain't me who needs to communicate and get help.

Old 04-23-2012, 11:05 AM

10,854 posts, read 9,299,972 times
Quote:
How do you know I'm white?
Believe me it's not that hard at all.

Old 04-23-2012, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggrocrag View Post
It's easy not to speak English in China when you're the only English speaker in a 50 mile radius. But if you came across communities of Americans in France or China what language would you speak to them in? Would you speak Mandarin to Bob from Ohio who's living in China now?

Yes, just saw the video, I don't see that as insulting like the oversensitive Texas senator did. Maybe the man's English was heavily accented and that made him uncomfortable in a formal setting, maybe he felt that he could express his views better in his native language, etc. Again, it's telling that speaking another language is perceived as insulting by the senator and yourself.

I'll reiterate again, Hispanics who grew up in the US speak English and use it as their primary language. The problems with not learning English arise only with recently arrived immigrants or immigrants who came to the US as adults. Hispanics who grew up here and went to school here all speak English but nevermind all that - "hispanic assimilation has failed"
Quote:

If they knew Mandarin I would speak Mandarin, if not I would speak English.
I would have assimilated. Mandarin would have been my language.

Quote:

You are making up reasons for him. He said it was because Spanish was his first language, but he did & could communicate in English. That was why it was insulting.

Quote:
Some do speak English as their first language, but many do not as the original post states many do not assimilate going into the 3rd generation.

There are schools that are teaching only in Spanish. Bilingual is usually and mostly spanish rather than 50/50.

Many TV shows are all in Spanish.

That is not assimilation

Old 04-23-2012, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
It would be neither. Even though I live in Texas, I can barely make heads and tails out of Spanish. And people have approached me speaking Spanish, and I've simply re-directed them, telling I don't speak or understand it. It would be pathetic of me to feel disrespected. If anything, I felt bad for the person because it ain't me who needs to communicate and get help.

You don't know Spanish when you hear it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies