Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2012, 12:19 PM

6,721 posts, read 5,199,738 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel12 View Post
You don't know anything about history. Not only the Italians, Jews or Irish immigrants didn't get any help from the government but were openly discriminated against in job market and such. Whatever they did in their native languages was not sponsored by the government, no bilingual education for Italians or Jidish speaking Jews courtesy of the FEDERAL government. Undeniably this policy worked and made the immigrants adapt, assimilate and succeed. Food for thought.

Hispanics get more than any other immigrant population before and this policy is going to backfire hurting both Hispanics confined to ethnic ghettos and general American population. We should have one nation, one language and one rich culture not many different nations, languages and cultures. United we stand, divided we fall.
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzards27 View Post
Wrong on several fronts. Education, especially in the early days, is local. The federal government has little to do with what is taught. Well. Before bush mucked it up.

Many nationalities came here and set up their own communities and schools and taught in there native tongue.

The Amish still have many sects that speak their native tongue, I'm guessing a German dutch hybrid. A friend from South Africa and I were listening to two young Amish boy talking, she thought it sounded much like Afrikaans (heavily influenced by dutch). Apparently, they are taught their own language in their own schools.

[/b]
To enhance their culture and language.... Go figure.

Not sure why the anti Hispanic hysteria, we have ALWAYS had a society with secondary languages, " German was preferred as a second, spoken language prior to World War I. An anti-German attitude that resulted from the war, promoted French as a second language instead. French survived as the second language of choice until the 1960s, when Spanish became popular."

History of education in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
DUDE, you trying to run from what you wrote? You claimed the federal government was controling education in those good olde days. Wrong, most educations was locally controlled by the people. The CHURCHES had more influence on early education then any government.

Quote:
Government like in state government, silly

And that's cool as long as the taxpayer doesn't have to pay for it like it is in the case of Spanish education in public schools

They speak old German not Dutch . Anyways they keep to themselves and you don't see them driving around big cities with German flags or demanding bilingual education the taxpayer has to pay for.... LOL
sorry, you'd be wrong again. The Amish are both dutch and German and the dutch language, Low German, is derived from the German language. Book smart, street foolish??? Ever hear of Pennsylvania Dutch?? Pennsylvania Dutch' is often taken to refer to the Old Order Amish. Seems you're the one trying to rewrite reality.
Quote:

Are you crazy??? We never had any second languages. We had minorities speaking THEIR languages but there was no SECOND language. You wanted to be a part of this society you had to speak English.
You are now going to rewrite history to suit your needs? lol
The Hispanic hysteria is because we all know that Mexico is a crime infested hell hole and we want to make sure America does turn into one as well. It already happened in many neighborhoods.
Wrong yet again, EVERY country has a primary, most popular, language and one or more secondary, second most popular, language. Germany used to be America's second language. Fact is before we entered the war on the allies side there was a lot of sentiment for supporting the other side. If Germany had left our shipping along we might not have joined either side.

Last edited by buzzards27; 05-15-2012 at 12:36 PM..

Old 05-15-2012, 12:59 PM

919 posts, read 1,689,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
But Mexicans ARE Hispanics culturally. Facts aren't stereotyping. Most here illegally are Mexican-Hispanics. Many of them do come over our border pregnant or become pregnant soon afterwords and start living on the government dole through their U.S. born child or children.

This is not a fact. It becomes stereotyping when that is all that they are seen as. A handful of Hispanics do come pregnant to assume that MOST do- that is a stereotype.

some other Latino country do learn English but far too many of them don't use English as their primary language of usage.

As my link said- 88% of second generation Hispanics, and 94% of third generation DO have English listed as their primary language- that doesn't say non-assimilation to me.

Most Americans who say they are Irish, German, etc. mean that their ancestors came from those counties not that they themselves are of those nationalities because they are only Americans in reality.

So why is it wrong for Hispanics to say it, unless they say "this is my country, not this" you cannot assume this is what they mean. Of all of the Hispanics I know, including my own family, they know how dangerous their countries are and they are fully aware of the advantages in America, just because they say they are Dominican they are very proud that their children are born Americans, but the important aspects- including language- in their culture is something they would like to keep. For example in my family- as well as most Hispanic families, a very important aspect is food. Things like the special seasonings- which MANY AMERICANS LOVE BTW- are something worth keeping around.

mine is in purple

Last edited by Jazzii; 05-15-2012 at 01:11 PM..

Old 05-15-2012, 01:31 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,313,780 times
Jazz, Are you kidding me? There are only a handful of anchor babies in this country? Even you know better than that. There are millions of Hispanics giving birth in our country that are here illegally.

As for language usage, I guess every Hispanic I see must be 1st generation then. As I rarely hear a Hispanic speaking English in public. Are my ears lying to me?

You are only fooling yourself if your think that most of Mexican ancestry in this country aren't still loyal to Mexico and its citizens. You failed to comment on why the majority think their national/ethic group should be above our immigration laws. Why was that? That is a non-assimilation factor.

What does cultural food and/or seasonings have to do with anything? We have numerous ethnic restaurants in this country and not just the Mexican kind. We all enjoy ethnic foods. I don't care what someone chooses to cook in their own homes either. That has nothing to do with being assimilated out in mainstream America.

Old 05-15-2012, 01:33 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,806,382 times
Quote:
As for language usage, I guess every Hispanic I see must be 1st generation then. As I rarely hear a Hispanic speaking English in public. Are my ears lying to me?
Que?

Old 05-15-2012, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Jazz, Are you kidding me? There are only a handful of anchor babies in this country? Even you know better than that. There are millions of Hispanics giving birth in our country that are here illegally.

First off, PLEASE stop telling me what I know, thanks. Secondly anchor babies DOES NOT mean that those who came were pregnant when they got here, so maybe you want to re-word that.

No, but obviously you are not aware enough to realize that just because you may hear them say something in Spanish it doesn't mean that they speak Spanish ALL the time. I know for a fact that there are times when I'm in public and speak Spanish ***GASP****

You are only fooling yourself if your think that most of Mexican ancestry in this country aren't still loyal to Mexico and its citizens. You failed to comment on why the majority think their national/ethic group should be above our immigration laws. Why was that? That is a non-assimilation factor.

You want me to say what I think, I think that you must be surrounded by narrow minded people, because obviously where I live and where you live are two very different places because I don't think that AT ALL. And you failed to answer my question as to HOW you know this?

What does cultural food and/or seasonings have to do with anything? We have numerous ethnic restaurants in this country and not just the Mexican kind. We all enjoy ethnic foods. I don't care what someone chooses to cook in their own homes either. That has nothing to do with being assimilated out in mainstream America.

UM you do realize that without people Immigrating you have NONE of this food right???? If a Hispanic has a restaurant then they very well have assimilated, If a Hispanic has a job they have assimilated. America is ALL ABOUT MONEY.
^^

Old 05-15-2012, 02:15 PM

2,920 posts, read 2,796,043 times
Quote:
DUDE, you trying to run from what you wrote? You claimed the federal government was controling education in those good olde days. Wrong, most educations was locally controlled by the people. The CHURCHES had more influence on early education then any government.
Dude, are you crazy? Bilingual program for Spanish kids is funded by state government, with taxpayers money. Federal government spends money on printing government documents and forms in Spanish cause some Mexicans are too lazy to learn the language of the land they chose to immigrate to?
My points is that never before immigrants received so much help from both the federal and state governments as do Hispanics today. Get it?

Quote:
sorry, you'd be wrong again. The Amish are both dutch and German and the dutch language, Low German, is derived from the German language. Book smart, street foolish??? Ever hear of Pennsylvania Dutch??
Ever heard of misnomers? LOL Amish speak German, to be exact Swiss dialect of German. It has nothing to do with Dutch as spoken in Holland. Pennsylvania Dutch are.... German lol
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pennsyl...erman_language

Quote:
Wrong yet again, EVERY country has a primary, most popular, language and one or more secondary, second most popular, language. Germany used to be America's second language.

Wow. You are such an expert... I never heard of of secondary languages... I wonder what is the secondary language in France? What is it in Germany? Wow. You are such an expert

German was never a secondary language in the US although German immigration was very extensive. Where did you get this knowledge from, kid? LOL

Last edited by rebel12; 05-15-2012 at 02:28 PM..

Old 05-15-2012, 02:17 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,806,382 times
Quote:
German was never a secondary language in the US although German immigration was very extensive. Where did you get this knowledge from, kid? LOL
Articles of Confederation had a version written in... German. Just don't bring up the subject to my extended family members who mostly reside in Hill Country, Texas...

Old 05-15-2012, 02:41 PM

1,112 posts, read 2,582,425 times
I didn't sit and read all 183 pages, so forgive me if the discussion has turned a different direction and I am off topic, but my feelings toward legal or illegal Hispanic people are this:

I have no ill feelings toward Hispanic people, legal or illegal. They are doing what they must do to support their families and have a better life. It doesn't bother me if they don't know English, however, many of the Hispanic people I have encountered speak Spanish AND English.

They are hard workers, usually well groomed and presentable, and seem to be good people for the most part.

No problems here.

Old 05-15-2012, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhadorn View Post
I didn't sit and read all 183 pages, so forgive me if the discussion has turned a different direction and I am off topic, but my feelings toward legal or illegal Hispanic people are this:

I have no ill feelings toward Hispanic people, legal or illegal. They are doing what they must do to support their families and have a better life. It doesn't bother me if they don't know English, however, many of the Hispanic people I have encountered speak Spanish AND English.

They are hard workers, usually well groomed and presentable, and seem to be good people for the most part.

No problems here.

Wish I could rep you twice

Old 05-15-2012, 03:18 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,313,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzii View Post
^^
First off, PLEASE stop telling me what I know, thanks. Secondly anchor babies DOES NOT mean that those who came were pregnant when they got here, so maybe you want to re-word that.

No, but obviously you are not aware enough to realize that just because you may hear them say something in Spanish it doesn't mean that they speak Spanish ALL the time. I know for a fact that there are times when I'm in public and speak Spanish ***GASP****

You want me to say what I think, I think that you must be surrounded by narrow minded people, because obviously where I live and where you live are two very different places because I don't think that AT ALL. And you failed to answer my question as to HOW you know this?

UM you do realize that without people Immigrating you have NONE of this food right???? If a Hispanic has a restaurant then they very well have assimilated, If a Hispanic has a job they have assimilated. America is ALL ABOUT MONEY. (quote)

Does it really matter whether or not they come here pregnant already or get that way after they jump our borders? The results are the same. Many if not most are on the government dole to care for these kids and it comes out of our pockets.

When entire conversations are in Spanish by every Spanish speaking person I see I would assume as any rational person would that Spanish is their primary language of usage. So what if once in awhile they speak English?

Here is how most Hispanics feel about legal immigration. Are you also trying to tell me that you don't know that most Hispanic politicians don't also feel the same way? You haven't heard politician like Gutierrez spouting pro-amnesty nonsense? Are you denying that advocacy groups like the NCLR aren't advocating for illegal aliens? Did you miss all those pro-illegal marches? Why is Obama pandering to Hispanics with a promise of amnesty if that isn't what the majority of Hispanics want? These are only two polls that support it. There are numerous ones out there but remain in denial if you like. By the way, you haven't said how you as a Hispanic feel about this issue. Why is that?

LD Tracking Poll — Latino Voters Overwhelmingly Support DREAM Act « Latino Decisions

Poll: Immigration splits Americans

Yes, of course I realize that immigration has brought ethnic foods to our country and I have no issue with legal immigration in numbers we can sustain and assimilate. It is illegal immigration that I object to or too much legal immigration from one ethnic group. We are supposed to be a diversified country, right?

Holding a job is not an indication of assimilation. Are you kidding me? No, this country isn't just about money. It is only to greedy Americans who want cheap labor. Our country is based on a nation of laws and the melting pot aka assimilation into the main ingredients of the pot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies