Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2012, 07:50 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,729,486 times

Advertisements

When I retire and move to a mostly Hispanic town in the Southwest one of my first projects will be learning Spanish so I can talk to my new neighbors.

Old 04-17-2012, 07:51 AM

4,300 posts, read 4,404,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Is that why everywhere I go they are speaking exclusively in Spanish? Is that assimilation?
Compromise. In the border states, we speak Spanglish After all, English started as a conglomeration of Angle, Saxon, Latin and Celtic tongues and then French thrown in. English has a rich history of merging with other languages.

Old 04-17-2012, 07:52 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,794,431 times
Quote:
Is that why everywhere I go they are speaking exclusively in Spanish? Is that assimilation?
Their choice.

Old 04-17-2012, 07:56 AM

39 posts, read 18,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
In many parts of the country it is the Anglos that have failed to assimilate into the preexisting culture. Why do “they” have to become like “us” when they were there first?
So by that logic, should we be like native americans? They were here first?

Old 04-17-2012, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by republicrat1986 View Post
That would be the idea embedded in the premise of the OP that one must give up personal choice and become a part of a collective with ditto-headed approach.

Old 04-17-2012, 08:09 AM

39 posts, read 18,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
That would be the idea embedded in the premise of the OP that one must give up personal choice and become a part of a collective with ditto-headed approach.
I say let them keep their culture, as long as they can speak english. You can speak spanish all day for all I care as long as you CAN speak english.

Old 04-17-2012, 08:11 AM

Quote:
I say let them keep their culture, as long as they can speak english. You can speak spanish all day for all I care as long as you CAN speak english.
Well that is what I call authoritarian speak.

Old 04-17-2012, 08:16 AM

20,698 posts, read 19,333,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
In many parts of the country it is the Anglos that have failed to assimilate into the preexisting culture. Why do “they” have to become like “us” when they were there first?

Where were they first? Does that mean I need to learn Russian if I want to do a little wine tasting in the Russian River Valley?

Old 04-17-2012, 08:19 AM

14,293 posts, read 9,669,246 times
Quote:
...and many tribes were waring with each other for centuries. What some people don't realize is all human cultures clashed with each other, and to the victors went the spoils, and theirs became the dominate culture.

The most aggressive, most organized cultures, with the most productive forms of providing for their people and produce the best, most modern weaponry and warfare tactics, eventually conquered and absorbed lesser advanced cultures.

People can cry about it now, but that is the way it was. The Aztec Empire did not become powerful by allowing Balkanization within their borders, by their conquered tribes.

Old 04-17-2012, 08:28 AM

5,872 posts, read 8,086,876 times
Quote:
Massive illegal immigration from Spanish speaking countries is creating this problem all over the country. Everywhere I go Hispanics are speaking exclusively in Spanish and even at that I am sure they aren't all illegal aliens. They are very arrogant about using their native tongue and they don't give a damn that we are an English speaking country. I don't care what language someone chooses to speak at home but out in mainstream America why not speak this nation's language?

What nation's language would that be? Can't be the "U.S." language since there isn't one. And they're probably speaking it b/c they're smarter than you and can speak multiple languages, and just CHOOSE to speak Spanish. Quite possible that whomever they were talking to felt more comfortable speaking in another language. Or they could tell it pissed you off, and chose to speak it just to spite you.

I know I do it all the time. English, French, Spanish, Italian. Find one that pisses off the faux "language-ites" and have a great day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies