Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2012, 02:16 PM

10,854 posts, read 9,297,960 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
And the Hispanics aka the Spaniards from Europe took the land from the native indians prior to that so what is your point?
The point is from a political social and economic standpoint current demographic trends will significantly impact the southwestern United States to the point where Hispanics will play a pivotal political. economic and social role. In essence in those area European Americans are going to have to cede a certain amount of control to Hispanics whether they like it or not.

Old 04-18-2012, 02:19 PM

10,854 posts, read 9,297,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimazee View Post
Press 2 for English?
And there you have it!

Old 04-18-2012, 02:22 PM

20,706 posts, read 19,349,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
The point is from a political social and economic standpoint current demographic trends will significantly impact the southwestern United States to the point where Hispanics will play a pivotal political. economic and social role. In essence in those area European Americans are going to have to cede a certain amount of control to Hispanics whether they like it or not.

I think you mean Anglophile since Spain has not been thrown out of Europe yet and Black and Asian Americans are going nacho too.

I like the fruit and vegetable stands. Nothing worse than a suburban white super market....

Old 04-18-2012, 02:27 PM

20,706 posts, read 19,349,208 times
Quote:
And there you have it!
Not going to happen. English is not being displaced by Spanish.

39% Of All Tweets Are In English, But Arabic Now Fastest-Growing Language On Twitter [STUDY] - AllTwitter

There is only one BRIC country that is "Hispanic" and they no speaka da Spanish.

Old 04-18-2012, 02:30 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,313,780 times
Quote:
Not if illegal immigration is stopped and birthright citizenship is changed. There would be no Hispanic majority under the above circumstances. Why would we want Hispanics to play a bigger political role in our country when many if not most don't even respect our immigration laws and think their ethnic group is so special that they should be above them an rewarded for breaking them? That reeks of racism to me. I don't know about you but I don't want to return to the era when non-hispanic whites thought they were superior to every other race only this time around the racists would be Mestizo Hispanics instead.

Hispanics are the majority in 22 countries on the Western Hemisphere. Aren't majority non-hispanic countries such as the U.S. and Canada allowed to exist? Hispanics want those two countries also?

Old 04-18-2012, 02:39 PM

9,240 posts, read 8,664,523 times
Quote:
I doubt that will happen.

Its hostile & disrespectful not to speak English when you know it in front of others.

Old 04-18-2012, 02:44 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,806,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
Its hostile & disrespectful not to speak English when you know it in front of others.
Do you really care that much about what others are talking about? But, it is for those moments it is great to know more than one language, and in my case, more than three

Old 04-18-2012, 03:52 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,731,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
New as in the last 5000 years.
In most regions way less than that. In the middle ages one could still migrate all over Europe, let alone most other parts of the world. There were no immigration offices etc.

Old 04-18-2012, 03:55 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,731,689 times
Quote:

That is the whole point, to feel like being among one's own people.
I understand people are curious and would like to know what people around them say, but it is unrealistic to expect that nowadays. Go to any German city and you will find Turks speaking Turkish with each other in the presence of Germans.

Old 04-18-2012, 04:01 PM

160 posts, read 310,967 times
Quote:

Doubt it will happen? It's already happened in Miami and border counties in Texas.

If Spanish-speakers aren't speaking directly to you I don't see how it's a problem. I speak Spanish amongst my family and with other Hispanics who speak it as their 1st language, if that's hostile & disrespectful to someone like you then so be it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies