Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2012, 07:42 AM

14,306 posts, read 13,318,817 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
It's a melting pot, almost all the major cities across the US have a different culture, that you hate.

Is this thread about illegal immigration or Hispanics assimilating?
Then you obviously don't know what a melting pot means. It means "out of many ONE". No, most American cities are American in culture sans a few ethnic neighborhoods.

Old 04-20-2012, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
US is a melting pot, you obviously don't like that and that means a lot.
It is YOU that doesn't like the melting pot. You instead want a salad bowl country.

Old 04-20-2012, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
Considering that the country was based on fact White Americans have primarily advocated for their own group since the first settlement in Jamestown in 1607 its perfectly reasonable for other groups feel the same way.

Assimilation and the whole melting pot analogy is a LIE. Whether it was Jews, Irish, Poles, Italians, Greeks, Chinese, Japans, etc. Americans have historically discriminated against and sought to segregate immigrant groups.

You can't truly assimilate a society and at the same time separate people based on race. That's what this country has done for most of its history an in many ways still continues to do.
That might have been true at one time but today it is the different ethnic groups separating themselves from mainstream America. United we stand, divided we fall.

Old 04-20-2012, 07:50 AM

9,963 posts, read 18,499,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
You're right: the US is a melting pot but way too many people; Hispanics in particular, still carry on in Spanish with each other in public in front of other people, that's low class and insulting. Worse; many Hispanics HATE it when a Chicano speaks only English.
As a 1/2 Mexican that only speaks English, I've never noticed this one...ever. If anything a Spanish only speaker is impressed.

Old 04-20-2012, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
The United States is always been balkanized.

That wasn't a problem for YOU when the United States was 90%, 80% or 70% White. Now it's about 63% as of the 2010 census and by the 2020 census it will probably be below 60%. For the first time in this nation's White Americans are being confronted with the fact as a result of changing demographics they will no longer constitute a majority in about 30 years. The election of Barack Obama was just the canary in the coal mine of the changes that are going to sweep this society. That is why so much virulent hatred is targeted toward the president. He is the future and it's future many White Americans simply aren't able to come to terms with.
I see, so an unnatural takeover by an illegal invasion is someting Americans should embrace? By the way, if you think that it is only white people who object to this invasion you aren't thinking clearly.

I don't hate the president. I just don't like his policies but if those who support him didn't have the race card to pull what would they have? FYi, Herman Cain was my number one choice for the Republican nominee and he is black. Guess what, I am lilly white! So much for your stereotyping that most whites don't like blacks. I'm certainly not one of them. Get your head out of the past for God's sake!

Old 04-20-2012, 07:59 AM

10,854 posts, read 9,301,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
It was not always balkanize until recently.
It was probably segregated in the south from slavery & Jim crow laws, but we still had a common language & culture.

Balkanization is different groups pushing for autonomy which is happening with hispanics.
What is "American Culture" go ahead and define it?

You living in "Your Own Private Idaho" in terms of dreaming of some idyllic America that only existed on a television screen or a Frank Capra movie. In the mid 1800s nativists and "No Nothings" discriminated against and were violent toward Irish, German and other immigrant groups. From the late 1800s to the mid 20th century Italians, Jews, Poles, Greeks, and other European immigrant groups were uniformly discriminated against in terms of jobs, and housing and in other ways. Why do you think so many European immigrant families changed their last name when they got to America? Many changed their last name so they wouldn't face outright discrimination as soon as they introduced themselves. And for years it was considered "Beneath Oneself" for a White Anglo-Saxon Protestant to marry an Italian, a Jew, a Greek, or an Irish person. For some this still holds true, especially among upper income White Anglo-Saxon Protestants.

Look at what happened in Chicago during Prohibition. All of the gangs that ran the bootleg liquor trade WHERE SEPARATED BY ETHNICITY. Even today you have the old ethnic Jewish, Italian, and Irish ethnic enclaves in cities like New York, Chicago, Boston, Philadelphia etc. Why do you think so many cities have a Chinatown? When these people arrived in America they were not assimilated they were segregated.

But America saves its harshest forms of segregation and balkanization for non-White people. Contrary to your assertion it wasn't just in the South that non-Whites faced segregation and discrimination for example:

Chinese Exclusion Act

Quote:
The first significant Chinese immigration to the United States began with the California Gold Rush of 1848-1855, and continued with subsequent large labor projects, such as the building of the First Transcontinental Railroad. During the early stages of the gold rush, when surface gold was plentiful, the Chinese were tolerated, if not well-received.[1] As gold became harder to find and competition increased, animosity toward the Chinese and other foreigners increased. After being forcibly driven from the mines, most Chinese settled in enclaves in cities, mainly San Francisco, and took up low end wage labor such as restaurant work and laundry just to earn enough to live. With the post Civil War economy in decline by the 1870s, anti-Chinese animosity became politicized by labor leader Denis Kearney and his Workingman's Party[2] as well as by California Governor John Bigler, both of whom blamed Chinese "coolies" for depressed wage levels. Another significant anti-Chinese group organized in California during this same era was the Supreme Order of Caucasians with some 60 chapters statewide
Quote:
Early on, the California government did not wish to exclude Chinese migrant workers from immigration because they provided essential tax revenue which helped fill the fiscal gap of California.[citation needed] Only later, when there was enough money did the government cease to oppose Chinese exclusion. By 1860 the Chinese were the largest immigrant group in California. The Chinese workers provided cheap labor and did not use any of the government infrastructure (schools, hospitals, etc.) because the Chinese migrant population was predominantly made up of healthy male adults.[3] As time passed and more and more Chinese migrants arrived in California, violence would often break out in cities such as Los Angeles. By 1878 Congress decided to act and passed legislation excluding the Chinese, but this was vetoed by President Hayes. Once the Chinese Exclusion Act was finally passed in 1882, California went further in its discrimination against the Chinese by passing various laws that were later held to be unconstitutional.[4] After the act was passed most Chinese families were faced with a dilemma: stay in the United States alone or go back to China to reunite with their families.[5] Newspapers around the country and especially in California started to discredit and blame the Chinese for most things, e.g., white unemployment. The police also discriminated against the Chinese by using the slightest opportunity to arrest them. Although there was widespread dislike for the Chinese, some capitalists and entrepreneurs resisted their exclusion based on economic factors.
South Texas town abolishes 1931 anti-Hispanic segregation law

Quote:
EDCOUCH, Texas — A South Texas town has abolished an anti-Hispanic segregation law more than seven decades after it was enacted.

The Board of Aldermen unanimously voted Monday to abolish an ordinance that banned "Spanish or Mexican" residents who were not servants or maids from occupying "any building on the American side or portion" of the once-divided town of Edcouch.

Old 04-20-2012, 08:03 AM

160 posts, read 311,163 times
The children of immigrants invariably use English as their first language, the facts and history show this. By the postings in this thread it seems like people expect every immigrant to exclusively speak English in public as soon as they step foot in the US, nevermind that many come to this country at a stage in their lives where learning languages is difficult and/or live in neighborhoods with other immigrants where they can speak their native language. I grew up in Miami, in an area that is as Spanish speaking as any in the US, and every Hispanic who who grew up in the US spoke and preferred English.

Immigration from Latin America was and is inevitable in the US, pull out a map of the world and see which hemisphere the US is located in. Spanish will continue to be spoken in this country, but the idea that it will somehow overtake English throughout the country is paranoid and short-sighted. English will remain the predominant language.

Old 04-20-2012, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
I see, so an unnatural takeover by an illegal invasion is someting Americans should embrace? By the way, if you think that it is only white people who object to this invasion you aren't thinking clearly.

I don't hate the president. I just don't like his policies but if those who support him didn't have the race card to pull what would they have? FYi, Herman Cain was my number one choice for the Republican nominee and he is black. Guess what, I am lilly white! So much for your stereotyping that most whites don't like blacks. I'm certainly not one of them. Get your head out of the past for God's sake!
I didn't say that YOU personally hate President Obama based on his race but there are plenty of people that do.

Old 04-20-2012, 08:14 AM

Quote:
I don't hear you complaining about the unnatural takeover of the United States when European settlers basically systematically exterminated the American Indian population and took their land.

Everything changes with time. Get over it. This nation is going to become increasingly culturally and racially diverse. There really isn't a damn thing you can do about it.

Old 04-20-2012, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Every country has a defining culture though. So perhaps you would be happier on the moon? Regional differences does not negate a national culture no matter how much you wish it does. If you don't like it then perhaps you are the one who hates this country.
What's to say that a culture can't change?

What are you afraid of?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies